Can i just look at Calories instead of the carbs/fat/prot

Options
Hi,

I have been at this for about 6 weeks now and am just not sure if i need to really focus on the Fats/Protiens and Carbs or can i just focus on my net calories?

I am sticking to the exercise plan and watching my intake but wonder if i should be looking at what i eat in more detail.

If i was to have a sugar treat, but remain in my calories, is this bad for me?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer

Replies

• carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would like some help with this topic too. Thanks
  • texasguy
    texasguy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have just been counting calories and calories only not worrying to much about bread vs meat and the weight is flying off. I am sticking with it until i hit a bumb in the road.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Personally I've always just focused on calories. That said, I still try to have a balanced diet... eating 1500 calories of ice cream isn't going to make me feel very healthy, and might end up putting on some water weight or something. But for me, I have been ok with little sugary treats now and again, still staying within my calorie limit.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you should concentrate on your calories first. Once you have a better idea of how much you can eat each day, then you can start to make smarter choices to make sure you're getting plenty of protein and not too much fat, etc.

I started counting just calories. Then I concentrated on watching protein, then fat, then sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc. You can't fix it all at one time, but if you figure out one thing at a time, you'll start to be able to balance it all.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great topic!!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi there! I would very much recommend looking at fats/proteins/carbs and add fiber to what you keep track of daily. I suggest you up your daily protein goal and lower your daily carb goal. MFP has a very low protein goal and I have found, along with others, that I lose more weight and feel full longer once I upped up my daily protein.

Also, try to stay below your daily fat goal and your daily carb goal. Try to stay at or above your daily fiber goal. Fiber will keep you satisfied and keep you feeling full longer.

Drink plenty, plenty, plenty of water! Of course you can have a treat once in awhile. It is all about balance. Message me if you have any questions. I hope I have helped!
  • riccimua
    riccimua Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have done every diet known to man and the best thing that has ever worked for me is staying under my calorie goal and eating what I want. In the end it's all about portion control. You will know not to eat a Big mac if you only have 300 calories left for the day and it's only noon. Definantly stick to an excercise plan and watch what you eat. Think if it as a lifestyle change not a diet.

Hope this helps! :wink:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you should concentrate on your calories first. Once you have a better idea of how much you can eat each day, then you can start to make smarter choices to make sure you're getting plenty of protein and not too much fat, etc.

I started counting just calories. Then I concentrated on watching protein, then fat, then sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc. You can't fix it all at one time, but if you figure out one thing at a time, you'll start to be able to balance it all.

agree totally! I started off with just calories, when the weight loss slowed I focused on sodium mainly and within reason on everything else
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing just on calories at the moment. But that's because before join MFP I lost 60 pounds on my own so I've already developed my eating habits as far as the types of food I eat. For me it's just a matter of portion control and keeping my calories in check.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I mainly look at calories and just use common sense as far as food choices go. Everything in moderation makes the most sense. Not too many sweets, not too much sodium and of course lots of vegetables and fruits!
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I normally look at just the calories but I do try to be a little careful when I know I am already close to being over in SUGAR for instance. But occasoinally I still go over. I just try not to make it a habit. And so far it is working out great.

2793411.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MadisonLeavens
    MadisonLeavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The great thing about this site is that it's YOUR site. Use it as you need. So, like me, I look mostly at the overall calories, and secondly at the fats. I always go over on protein because I tend to try to go more for lower carb and fat. So, use this tool as you need and you will be successful.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Personally, all I look at is protein.

When I get protein at every meal and snack, everything else seems to fall into place concerning carbs, fat, and total calories. I have my protein set at 30% on here (Carbs: 50 / Protein: 30 / Fat: 20). You can change it by going to My Home, then Goals. Plus, making sure you get enough protein every day helps aid metabolism, weight loss, and lean muscle!!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I agree. Calories first then the nutrients, if your focus is trying to loose weight. Eventually your focus will shift a bit, to say, toning up, and you may want to keep a closer eye on your protein, carbs, etc.

And as for the sugary treats, it's like Ricci32 said "In the end it's all about portion control." A piece of candy isn't going to even slow you down a bit on your journey. A 2 lbs bag of M&Ms however might have some repercussions. :laugh:
  • SafariLara
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Now, I'm not advocating this kind of eating, but really weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out so if you have extra for junk food... eat it! ahaha
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definately want to look at the whole picture. Is your weight coming off?
    If it isnt then really start to watch your sugar and carb intake. These should be on the lower end of the scale. Too many of these just takes your body that much long to burn off your fat because it's first place to burn off calories is your excess carbs and sugars...carbs turn into sugar and than fat....by lower these your body will be able to burn off directly the excess fat rather than trying to burn off the excess carb intake. Does that make sense? Definatley hit your protein and add more than they recommend if you can too. I eat around 90 grams of protein a day. I always have a protein shake in the morning and sometime as a snack in the afternoon. Protein makes you feel more satified and will help you add more lean muscle mass to your body. People who don't eat enough protein when dieting actually lose there muscle mass and get replaced with bigger fat cells. By eating high amounts of protein you will get rid of the excess fat and replace it with more muscle which in turns makes your look more lean...thinner....and youll be able to eat more calories. 5 lbs of mucscle is about 10x smaller than 5 lbs of fat. Plus the more muscle you have the more calories you burn up in a day.....the more energy your body uses to do things. I hope that helps.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's best to focus on everything. If you consume more carbs or fat than your body can metabolize the excess will be stored as fat.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    That's the best part about this site, calculating ALL of your nutrients for maximum health
    AND weight loss! I lost weight through weight watchers but was only able to lose my last ten pounds after starting this site. I was eating way too much sugar and sodium! After watching those closely, ( I keep my sugars under 15 grams a day) I have lost my ten pounds and want to see what four more pounds lost looks like! It is quite a challenge to keep ALL of your nutrients in the recommended range. That's why weight watchers has changed their program, people were eating 100 calories cookie packs instead of vegetables or protein, which are more healthy.
  • Scott_J_martin
    Scott_J_martin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great and quick feedback. I will go with just the calories until things slow down, but still keep a close eye on the type of foods i am eating.

WOW tross0924 Great Results!!!!! 138 pounds