How to prevent going overboard?

Options
I find I'm starting to go crazy with exercise in desperation to get rid of the extra fat around my hips and stomach.
I've been doing cardio HIIT 5 days a week (this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdXXqcoco0) and pushing myself with it. I skip the cooldown then I continue doing general cardio, jogging in place, mountain climbers, jump rope, etc for another 30 minutes. Then do around 15 minutes of weight lifting and anywhere from 80 - 150 push ups a day.

This time I think I actually pulled a muscle in my thigh. I honestly can't help it, I'll try to cool down but then I'll notice my workout shorts squeezing out my freaking lovehandles and I can't stop till I'm exhausted.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just keep doing what you're doing. the debilitating injuries you're exposing yourself to will ensure that you get some rest days.

or....if you don't want to end up with a ton of overuse injuries, you'll use some common sense and slow down. there's a reason workout videos end.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is not good man, how much do you have left to loose ?

It's always easier to cut back down on food rather than go overboard on exercise. If you post a bit more info about you I'm sure we can offer some advice. :)
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    I actually don't have much to lose at all. It's just extremely stubborn.
    I'm 5'7 and 140lb and have a decent muscle mass. Best guesstimate I could give is I've probably 6 - 7 or so lbs towards the back of my hips near around my glutes area, then this annoying flabby pouch on my stomach that could only be maybe a pound or less.

According to a BMI, I have around 14% body fat.
  • JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options
    If it's a matter of being stubborn, focus your will power on balance. You want to lose weight and be fit, and that's great, but you're undermining your ability to do it in a healthy manner and ultimately setting yourself up for trouble with your current mindset. It sounds like you know what you should be doing- make sure you don't skip warm ups and cool downs, respect your body and its limits, give yourself time to rest every now and then- so just do it.
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    It's more of a "this crap has been haunting me since I lost all that weight about 2 years ago and I just want it to go away." Granted I haven't been dieting all that time, still. I've had off-and-on unsuccessful diets because I never really saw any results to this stubborn fat. I'm extremely committed now, probably more so than I need to be.
    I've been "chubby" since I was 10, I'm 22 now. I just want to know what it feels like to be slim and/or have abs.
    I haven't been able to take my shirt off with confidence in 12 years.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...cardio HIIT 5 days a week (this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdXXqcoco0) and pushing myself with it. I skip the cooldown then I continue doing general cardio, jogging in place, mountain climbers, jump rope, etc for another 30 minutes. Then do around 15 minutes of weight lifting and anywhere from 80 - 150 push ups a day.

dafuq...

What are you hoping for, sympathy?

and fwiw if you can do 45 minutes of extra training after a HIIT session then you're not putting enough effort into your high intensity time.

Push yourself harder...
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, you're gonna do a lot more harm than good if you keep going like that.

You also shouldn't do HIIT more than three times a week (assuming you're doing it right) since your body needs to recover from it! Don't skip the cool down either.

I actually know the feeling, though, since I have a tendency to become overly motivated as well. What helps me is having a set programme that I follow. If I get into that 'over motivation' thinking, I then tell myself that the people who drew up the programme know what they're doing and definitely know more than I do about how to workout. Also, if I overdo it, my body will clearly tell me so after about a week by just not being able to push as hard as it usually can so listen to that feeling!
    Personally, I'm doing Fitnessblender's eight week programme. If you're interested in heavy lifting, you could also have a look at the various programmes out there (New Rules of Lifting for Women and StrongLifts 5x5 are the ones I know), and I'm sure there are tons of other good structured workout programmes to pick from as well.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    ...cardio HIIT 5 days a week (this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhdXXqcoco0) and pushing myself with it. I skip the cooldown then I continue doing general cardio, jogging in place, mountain climbers, jump rope, etc for another 30 minutes. Then do around 15 minutes of weight lifting and anywhere from 80 - 150 push ups a day.

dafuq...

and fwiw if you can do 45 minutes of extra training after a HIIT session then you're not putting enough effort into your high intensity time.

Push yourself harder...

ugh.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Like previous posters have said, you're setting yourself up for failure. At some point you'll just be exhausted or you'll injure yourself and you won't be able to exercise for a time. HIIT and weightlifting aren't things that should be done every day of the week (or even 5 days).

Maybe you can alternate HIIT and weight lifting days? Also don't skip the cooldown, it can prevent injury!

Also, if your shorts are 'pushing out' your lovehandles, it might just be time for a bigger size. Trying to squeeze into clothes that don't fit properly won't make you any happier, speaking from experience here (and not trying to be mean).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this is true.

To get rid of the last few vanity pounds i would look into a decent strength/resistance training routine 3x a week (not 15 minutes after your cardio) and carry on with the HIIT 2-3 x a week. set your calories to TDEE -10% and be veeeeeeeery patient!!!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am so not an expert, but I would suggest you try to focus a little more on your diet. You are working out a lot, but not seeing the fat loss you want. So switch it up. Pull back on your work outs a little and reduce your calorie intake. Focus on eating healthy and cut out as much crap as possible.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    If you push too hard, your body will push back, then you won't be able to do anything.
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options

dafuq...

Push yourself harder...
    Voices of reason. Figure maybe if I see other people tell me I'm overshotting it'd help since lord knows I won't trust my own opinion thinking it's just me being a slacker and wanting to give up.

C4 extreme supplement. The initial HIIT tires me to the point I feel like I'm going to pass out. I do exactly what the trainer does except faster/more intensity/wider range depending on exercise, and atleast 1 extra movement more each set. Instead of a light shuffling in place like she does I jog in place. Not sure what more I can do to up the intensity.

5 minute break of vigorous pacing/power walk and I can do my general workout fairly easy afterwards.

The only reason I'm even doing the HIIT so much is because it's so short (less than 30 mins) and burns so many calories it's almost addicting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seek help
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it's the shorts-squeezing-love-handles-out problem that's spurring you on, buy bigger shorts! :)
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    If it's the shorts-squeezing-love-handles-out problem that's spurring you on, buy bigger shorts! :)

If I go the next size up they'll literally sag/fall off, any tightness in that area at all forms a muffin-top of some degree. Granted it's not very big, it's still enough to.."motivate" me.
    It's the stubborn fat in general. After many failed diet attempts in the past I feel like if I don't go to extremes I'm never going to lose it.

I've been trying to be good about it but like I said, it's almost addicting. I don't realize the damage I'm doing until I actually injure myself/am hurting. It's almost as if I like the exhausted mixed with energized feeling that it gives me.

One of the leading factors is music..When I do the HIIT I follow the video. When I'm about to do anything after I turn on my playlist and I WANT to workout, it goes from a "here comes 45 more minutes of hell" to "this is going to be a good stress reliever."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Voices of reason. Figure maybe if I see other people tell me I'm overshotting it'd help since lord knows I won't trust my own opinion thinking it's just me being a slacker and wanting to give up.

You know the problem, it's up to you to work out how you can find something more sustainable. A sustainable objective really depends on knowing what you're trying to achieve, which I'm not convinced you have a handle on.

Weight loss comes from calorie deficit, not from exercise. Training helps you to gain flexibility around eating to your calorie deficit goal, and helps optimise your weight loss towards fat, by encouraging the retention of lean mass.
    The initial HIIT tires me to the point I feel like I'm going to pass out. I do exactly what the trainer does except faster/more intensity/wider range depending on exercise, and atleast 1 extra movement more each set. Instead of a light shuffling in place like she does I jog in place. Not sure what more I can do to up the intensity.

OK, I watched the youtube video you posted, I'd describe that as a bodyweight circuit rather than HIIT, but that's kind of irrelevant right now.

What I would suggest is a combination of cardio work and resistance training of some kind. Beyond that it depends on what you want to do. Given that you're watching fitnessblender videos then I assume you're not a gym member, which isn't an issue.

Run, cycle, swim or something like that for your CV work, and find a bodyweight resistance plan, something like You Are Your Own Gym. Do three days per week of each and after a couple of months you should be seeing results, as long as you're eating in calorie deficit. Once you're there you'll be better placed to identify your longer term approach, whether that's improving your sports performance or increasing your resistance training.
    5 minute break of vigorous pacing/power walk and I can do my general workout fairly easy afterwards.

The only reason I'm even doing the HIIT so much is because it's so short (less than 30 mins) and burns so many calories it's almost addicting.

fwiw a 25 minute tempo run will burn more than a 20 minute interval session. HIIT is not magic, despite what some advocate. It is very good for improving VO2Max, but you need to be really thrashing yourself in the intervals. For me that's in the order of 200-400 metre sprints at a 3-4 minute kilometre pace. No way I could sustain that pace for any longer as my normal aerobic pace is about 5:30-6 minute kilometre.
  • xxSailorMoonxx
    Options
    Speak with a counsellor or trained profession about your self image issues. Training and watching what you eat is healthy. Over doing things the way you are is not healthy and points to a mental issue, not a body issue. I urge you to speak with a trained professional about this before you end up too sick to ask for help.