Working out AM, most of my eating done PM.

tectactoe
tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
Hello. 6'2", ~180# male here, currently lifting heavy about 4x/week.

Not trying to cut or bulk at the moment, just got off a big cut & trying to maintain for a bit. Currently running @ 2400 calories, shooting for 53g fat, 270g carbs, & 210g protein (though my fat is usually a little over & carbs are usually under).

To make a long story short, the only possible time I have to work out is before work, at 5am. Finish up by 6:30am & I'm at my desk by 7.

I get home around 6pm most days, & I tend to have a large appetite, regardless of how much or little I have already had during lunch.

Therefore, I've shrunk my portion sizes for Post-WO & lunch to allow myself more food when I get home & typically am the most hungry (I can keep my mind off of hunger during the day with a small lunch, coffee, tea & work itself).

In essence, this means most days between 6-10pm, I am eating a majority of my diet during this time. Usually around 1400-1600 calories, & usually around 170-230g carbs , as my breakfast/lunch tend to be protein-heavy.

My question is - how detrimental will this be to overall body composition & strength gain? I've heard things ranging from nutrient timing being nearly a non-factor (save for pro body builders trying to move from 4% bf to 3.5%), to it being quite important (lots of carbs directly after workout!)

The problem is, carbing up during breakfast/lunch leaves me extremely limited for my dinner choices, often leaving me unsatiated & mentally starved as well.

Replies

• tectactoe
    Any input appreciated.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    It really doesn't matter that much. As long as you consistently get everything your body needs in, your body doesn't really care for when you eat it. If you fast for a longer time your body takes needed energy out of your storages, it won't need as much anymore when you finally get to eating and store that back resulting in a +- 0 effect on your body composition at the end of the day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I tend to eat over 1000 calories around 10 PM.

I prefer eating at night.

Most people the difference of when you eat is completely negligable.

If you are bulking and a serious competitor - you can easily argue spreading the surplus out as evenly as possible is best for optimizing gains (this is why bodybuilders will often set alarms at night or odd hours to eat)

but for the average person- just make sure you are hitting you calorie goals- meal timing won't impact you at all.
  • tectactoe

If you are bulking and a serious competitor - you can easily argue spreading the surplus out as evenly as possible is best for optimizing gains (this is why bodybuilders will often set alarms at night or odd hours to eat)

but for the average person- just make sure you are hitting you calorie goals- meal timing won't impact you at all.

Great! Thanks! There's definitely a unique satisfaction in stuffing your face with 1600 calories over the course of 2 hours without breaking your macros... Mmmm.....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I think your plan is pretty solid, personally. You're eating the bulk of your carbs at night, and then working out early in the morning. You're effectively carb loading ahead a time. That's fairly common.

Are you eating anything at all pre-workout? If not, for optimal results I might suggest at least some food or at least some BCAAs (anti-catabolic). BCAAs can be consumed during workout too or even a protein shake to sip on during your workout. Something post-workout would probably be helpful too (a simple protein shake here is easy and convenient). Or some food, whatever.

None of that is 100% necessary but will probably help optimize your results.

Carbing up post-workout is definitely not necessary in my opinion. Your glycogen stores will be replenished in plenty of time for the next day's workout.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Great! Thanks! There's definitely a unique satisfaction in stuffing your face with 1600 calories over the course of 2 hours without breaking your macros... Mmmm.....

I hate you

Can't wait to be you :laugh:
  • enfr
    enfr Posts: 1
    Macronutrient timing is definitely important for optimal results, but it is more important that you are hitting your daily macronutrient targets.

However, your diet could certainly be tweaked. Is it necessary for you to be eating so much protein? The gold standard for bodybuilders is 2g/kg and you are almost having 2.6g/kg. If you replaced some of the protein with carbs you could eat some carbs during the day. Also it is best to spread your protein out during the day as males can typically only use 30-40g protein for protein synthesis in one sitting (watch Layne Norton’s video blogs). It would be beneficial to have some carbs post workout (even just 30-50g) to replenish glycogen stores and speed up recovery and increase anabolism (carbs + protein postworkout = maximum anabolic result) then you can keep the rest until your dinner.

I also agree with the previous poster that you should have some bcaas before or during your workout if not having a preworkout meal.

Good luck 
  • tectactoe
    I think your plan is pretty solid, personally. You're eating the bulk of your carbs at night, and then working out early in the morning. You're effectively carb loading ahead a time. That's fairly common.

Are you eating anything at all pre-workout? If not, for optimal results I might suggest at least some food or at least some BCAAs (anti-catabolic). BCAAs can be consumed during workout too or even a protein shake to sip on during your workout. Something post-workout would probably be helpful too (a simple protein shake here is easy and convenient). Or some food, whatever.

None of that is 100% necessary but will probably help optimize your results.

Carbing up post-workout is definitely not necessary in my opinion. Your glycogen stores will be replenished in plenty of time for the next day's workout.

I usually have two scoops of C4 extreme for the creatine + caffeine boost, then something small. Like, really small, as I'm usually not hungry when I first wake up. Maybe a single mini-muffin, handful of grapes, handful of granola. I always do have something after my work-out still (usually a protein shake, oatmeal, or fiber cereal etc.).

Previously, I would have a post-WO shake, followed by oatmeal, then maybe a sandwich around 10am, then my actual lunch at noon (usually 6-700 cals), then something for a 2-3pm snack like a muffin or bagel or something along those lines. Likely another snack or two at my desk throughout the day, like nuts, crackers, raisins, etc... So basically I'd get home with 90% of my carb allotment used & only about 6 or 700 calories left. Lol.

It helps toning down the eating during the day because it's easier to keep myself distracted. Yesterday I got home around 7:00pm & successfully ingested 1650 calories (170g carbs) by 8:30pm. I felt so gloriously full & stuffed, it was incredible.