What should a trucker pack in his lunch box?

Options
I drive a big rig for a national food bank. I'm constantly around fantastic goodies that are available to consume i.e. cakes, cookies and pies that are difficult to resist (due to the volume of product and code date restrictions, most bakery goods go to feed commodities) . I've found bananas and peanuts seem to deflect the almost uncontrollable urge to dive into a cinnamon bunt cake, or butter coconut pecan cookies. Even so my weight fluctuates between 118 and 220 lbs.

I'm looking for suggestions that I may pack in my lunch box that are easy to eat on the road, will satisfy, be healthy, and will help me meet my weight goal of 195lbs.

Due to the nature of my job,at times I am constantly rolling (drop and hooks; unload and go out again for another load). Currently I pack a 20oz bottle of a very popular diet Root Beer, A block of sharp cheddar cheese (which I nibble on over a period of a week and half), bananas, peanuts, and marinated beef or pork slices and/or de-boned chicken with Tabasco sauce. I also consume close to 3 litters of water throughout the work day. I do get tired of these items...except the root beer... and when I get tired of bananas and peanuts a slice of pecan pie is very difficult to pass up.

Suggestions please.

Replies

• thindennis2b
    Options
    I drive a big rig for a national food bank. I'm constantly around fantastic goodies that are available to consume i.e. cakes, cookies and pies that are difficult to resist (due to the volume of product and code date restrictions, most bakery goods go to feed commodities) . I've found bananas and peanuts seem to deflect the almost uncontrollable urge to dive into a cinnamon bunt cake, or butter coconut pecan cookies. Even so my weight fluctuates between 118 and 220 lbs.

I'm looking for suggestions that I may pack in my lunch box that are easy to eat on the road, will satisfy, be healthy, and will help me meet my weight goal of 195lbs.

Due to the nature of my job,at times I am constantly rolling (drop and hooks; unload and go out again for another load). Currently I pack a 20oz bottle of a very popular diet Root Beer, A block of sharp cheddar cheese (which I nibble on over a period of a week and half), bananas, peanuts, and marinated beef or pork slices and/or de-boned chicken with Tabasco sauce. I also consume close to 3 litters of water throughout the work day. I do get tired of these items...except the root beer... and when I get tired of bananas and peanuts a slice of pecan pie is very difficult to pass up.

Suggestions please.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm no trucker but how about apples and peanutbutter,or cheese. I really like herbal tea or green tea( peppermint tea is very refreshing cold) fresh veggies and dip( any low fat salad dressing will do) . How about salami on whole wheat bread or some lean ham? I don't know what you like but I eat a lot of salads ( have the dressing on the side) plus you didn't say if you got home each night or if you was on the road for weeks. I hope some ideas helped, I try to eat lots of lean meat ( roast beef, turkey breast, pastrami) whole grain veggies and fruits.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Do you like dried fruit? You could make a dried fruit mix with apricots, raisins, almonds, your store isle and imagination are your limit. You could also blend some of your favorite cereals into snack bags to keep with you to nibble instead of chips. Del Monte has good pre-packaged peaches and pears in individual servings that are in natural juices that are great! Low-carb tortillas spread with low-fat cream cheese, topped with your favorite deli meat or grilled chicken and lettuce rolled up and wrapped in saran wrap make great sandwich alternatives. You could even cut them into pinwheels and pop'em in your mouth as you drive. Pop up some microwave popcorn before you leave and nibble on that off and on. I hope that you get lots of great ideas so you can fight that pecan pie temptation! Good luck!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track...I would mix up my fruit choices and minimize bananas...I would keep the peanut butter and get rid of the cheddar...whole wheat crackers like triscuits are a pretty good choice...good with all types of toppings...try non or lowfat cream cheese or laughing cow cheese...peanuts are healthy but high in fat and calories, so I would minimize those portions...add some raw vegetables...cucumbers are great with paprika or red pepper...raw carrots, etc...

Pecan pie is so hard to resist...find a substitute for your sweet tooth like a nutritional drink or something...an ensure or protein drink or fruit smoothie or something.

Don't beat yourself up if you give in to the pecan pie...this eating healthy lifestyle takes practice, just like anything else.
  • ecrichar
    ecrichar Posts: 14
    Options
    My boyfriend drives a truck all day delivering, here's what I put in his lunch:

I make 3 sandwiches.. One is with italian bread (right around 100 calories for 2 slices), some light cheese, turkey, lettuce, tomato, pickles and mustard.

The 2nd isnt really a sandwich, but he has celery with peanut butter on them which i close together as if to make long sandwiches(he says those tie him over well). sometimes, he'll wrap that in a slice of meat sounds gross i know!

The 3rd 'sandwich' is a low cal tortilla, with a chicken strip in it (i buy the chicken from walmart, season it with garlic, onion,and a little Emeril Lagassi's seasoning), then i melt pepper jack cheese on it. Fold it up into a burrito. it's good cold .

For snacks, i throw in those 100 calorie snack packs you can get at walmart. He usually has one piece of fruit per day (so he doesnt burn out), apple, banana, strawberries
    Also, as an added bonus some days, I put a hunk of angel food cake in there.

He drinks water after water all day, since he's out in the heat. His weight is dropping off like crazy, and I think I'm gaining it all!
  • maggie2020
    Options
    I also liked the dried fruit, I have my husband on the small box of raisans instead of hitting the snack machine at work. Try baby carrots & cherry tomatoes, I wash mine the night before and snack during the day & snack on celery w/ lite cream cheese, there is Kashi products (crackers, cookies, granola bars) Kashi is very healthy no trans fat, there are nutri-grain bars, the small cans of lite mixed fruit.
    One more, I like to take lettece and wrap w/ cheese or low fat deli meat..... Hopefully some of this is useful..

Good Luck.....
  • thindennis2b
    Options
    Sounds good. Thank you very much.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is a nice snack. I like to make a wrap with spinach and chicken with either some oranges or mango salsa that I make and of course some cheese . I keep some cooked chicken in the fridge and its easy to throw togethor. Of course you could do something else in the wrap but that i an idea.