Water is causing thirst?

Options
Okay, I will admit to being a Dr Pepper addict and drinking 3-4 cans daily, and half a gallon of sweet tea. I've cut out about 98% of that (will have a glass of sweet tea every other day or a Dr Pepper when a caffiene jolt is needed for a migraine) and began to drink water, which I've never really drank before.

Now I'm drinking between 5-9 glasses a day and I'm constantly thirsty. It's like having cottonmouth all the way down my throat. What's going on? Has anyone else dealt with it?

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    what type of water are you drinking? my fiance has a water softener installed in his water system, and i hate drinking it because it, like you described, just makes me thirstier!
  • kluinstra
    Options
    It's the tap water....actually in our city it's hard water. Ive considered getting bottled water, or a Brita filter, but I've had water from those and it just tasted weird.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Sometimes I cannot quench my thirst with water and it seems so weird.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I actually am the same way. Doesn't matter where I drink, if it's bottled or tap, filtered or non....I don't know what it is. My dad and cousin are the same way though. We could go all day without drinking and be fine. As soon as we start drinking (especially water) we're thirsty all day.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    give it time. your body is adjusting to not having the sweet tea, and/or Dr.Pepper. give it a week or two, and the feeling your describing should go away.
  • want2BthinRN
    Options
    I'm wondering what answers you will get as well! I am addicted to diet pepsi and I have really been trying to get at least 8 cups of water a day. (I used to go days without touching a glass of water) But I have found as well, the more I drink the more I "need", even waking up in the middle of the night dying for something to drink. Hope someone on here has the answer.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    pick up a bottle of spring water the next time you go to the store. make sure it's SPRING water though, not DRINKING water. there's a huge difference in taste! city water is always treated with chemicals so it's safe enough to drink, so they might be irritating your throat. spring water comes straight from the ground, just like well water.
  • jenimathews
    Options
    Honestly it probably has nothing to do with drinking water. You may be thirstier while your body adjusts to the new routine. You may be "de-bloating" but honestly, from a medical point of view I would actually consider a sinus infection as the cause of the dry mouth. It is cold and flu season.
  • jenimathews
    Options
    Buy a fruit-infusing water pitcher. If you put strawberries in the middle part and let it soak for 1 day the water is really yummy!
  • kluinstra
    Options
    I'm thinking that Ronnie is on to something because I can be thirsty all day and drinking water; but, once I drink one glass of tea, I'm good.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I''ve noticed a difference when I try to drink water that is not ice cold, it does not taste good. Out here, in the country, we've got our own water well and the water tastes pretty good. I can tell a difference between the water at home and when the water at my job. I've got a large water dispenser in my fridge, I got it at Wal-Mart. I make sure to drink 1-2 glasses in the morning when I exercise.

Throughout the day: I've got one of those 52oz "trucker mugs" from the gas station. I'll fill it up with the cold water from the fridge and a couple of ice cubes and sip on it when I'm thirsty OR whenever I "think" I'm hungry.

Also, My name is Melissa and I am addicted to Barq's Root Beer....do they have rehab for that?
  • kluinstra
    Options
    Hi Melissa! Welcome to the Soda Addict Annon group! You are welcome here and will not be judged. :-)