Am I doing something wrong...

Options
Morning,

I have just started on my journey and am loving eating better and exercising.

My question is I have started doing the following at the gym, and my knees are really hurting as of last night and this morning, so I did not go to the gym.

Is it that I am doing stuff I am too heavy or unfit to do. Should I not be doing this type of exercise???

Alternate days:
C25K on the treadmill followed by swimming, or
45 minutes at level 6 on the elliptical trainer (cross trainer) followed by swimming.

I am loving it and dont want to stop but dont want to ruin my knees and end up having to do nothing.

:-(

Kate

Replies

• jsball319
    jsball319 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Kate,

Have you just started working out...maybe you need to talk to a trainer at the gym. I know I have a knee that can sometimes act up, so I am always very careful. I use a brace in Zumba.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The treadmill bothers my knee for running so I stopped using it except occasionally and use the track or outdoors now that it's warm here. Do you have that option?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have issues with running on a treadmill if I leave it at 0 incline, so I raise it to anywhere between .5 to 1.5 which seems to change the position of pressure on the knee. Not sure if it will help you but it's an option.
    Also contoured fairly new to the elliptical you may want to drop back to level 3 and build some more strength in the knees first.
    Another thing could be use a bike for 10 minutes before getting into any of the other routines as it may help loosen things up.
    If you don't stretch before and/or after exercise you should add that as well it's possible your joints and muscles are tightening up.

Good luck!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This usually means (for me) that I have gone too fast--so made an error with my movement. Rest the knee for a little while and try again but slower.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    The pain is a signal that tells you to slow down what you are doing as you are overdoing it.
    "you have just started in your journey"... have you gone from nothing to everyhting in one go?
  • katyjane1804
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying, yes I have gone from nothing to all of this and I know that I probably should not have!

I am going to call my gym when I get home and book my induction and see what they suggest.

I just want it to work so much and when I see the people on the tv... Biggest Lose, Extreme Makeover Weight Loss edition, they go from nothing to 8 hours a day in the gym. I want to be like that and figured my 30 - 45 mins a day would be fine.

Ho hum, I will learn.

Thank you
    xx
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying, yes I have gone from nothing to all of this and I know that I probably should not have!

I am going to call my gym when I get home and book my induction and see what they suggest.

I just want it to work so much and when I see the people on the tv... Biggest Lose, Extreme Makeover Weight Loss edition, they go from nothing to 8 hours a day in the gym. I want to be like that and figured my 30 - 45 mins a day would be fine.

Ho hum, I will learn.

Thank you
    xx

They go from nothing to professionally trained, medically monitored in next to no time. You went from doing nothing to 45 minutes with nobody monitoring form, watching for injuries, etc. There is a difference.
  • katyjane1804
    Options
    Thank you Brian, I know you are right and I am booking my induction today.... Just a nice swim for me tomorrow

Thank you