Is this enough?

Options
Hey guys!

I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds (I'm 5'5 and currently 180, size 12 in pants, L shirts) and I'm willing to lose it more slowly if that means preserving muscle mass.

I know that in order to preserve lean mass I need to keep my protein intake high and do strength training. I have balance issues and joint problems related to a genetic condition, so I use a kettlebell as it works better for me to be able to keep the weight closer to my center of gravity than is possible using traditional weights.

My question is, is the following enough strength training to maintain muscle mass while I lose fat?

Squats - 8
Goblet Squats- 4
Lunges - 12 (six each side)
Bicep Curls - 4
Clean and Press- 10 (five each side)
2 handed swings - 15

I do this circuit 3x's, 2-3 times a week.

I do this circuit with a heavy enough weight that I'm pretty well maxed out at these number of reps

I am under the impression that these exercises are all focusing on "functional fitness" and working all the major muscle groups.

That being said, I'm far from being an expert. Am I missing anything glaring?

I also do Zumba about twice a week, yoga a couple times a month and try and take long walks (more for relaxation than aerobic conditioning) several times a week.

I've been at this for about 5 weeks and I've lost 1 pound but my clothes are fitting much better and I believe I've lost a few inches (hard to tell because I'm never sure if I'm measuring in the exact same place). Regardless, I feel way better and more confident.

Replies

• unesemainedecruaute
    unesemainedecruaute Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for starting this journey and feeling already better.

Regarding the preservation of the muscle, the idea behind it is to say to your body "don't throw it 'cause I'm using it". So at first yes, you're doing a good job.

There's still room for improvement though:
    *Keep the repetition range at, at least, 8 (and up to 15, but 8 is good).
    *After you have hit the rep. range, then focus on the weight progress. As long as you are doing your best effort, it doesn't care if you after two weeks need to low on the weight.
    *If you're working fasted, remember to have a protein intake right (up to 25') after the workout. If you're not, remember to accommodate a quality meal 40' to 2hs after.
    *It's a quite nice routine you have there. I'd anyway already search for new movements with kettlebells, so you can "catch out" your body (which is good), and also to have a few exercise under the sleeve in case you get bored of these.
  • amw2046
    amw2046 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks so much, I'll keep that in mind as I move forward :)