I gain weight when I drink a bunch of water...

Options
Does it always start this way? I've had problems with that in the past or is it that when I start exercising the muscle builds so quick that I gain weight from that? It's just discouraging that when I start making the effort, I put weight on, not off. I'll admit that yesterday I had did bad on my diet but usually just drinking water makes me gain weight. I think or I guess I could be mistaken. Thanks

Replies

• scottgirl0730
    Options
    I've found in the past- sometimes you have to push through this. At first your body may have a tendency to retain the water... but keep flushing with water and eventually it will move on out! The results will be great once your body realizes that your fully hydrating yourself and the toxins start to leave!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Muscle doesn't build quickly although I bet a lot of bodybuilders and gymrats wished it did. You've just put on water weight, drink more water and eventually you'll piss it out.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Please don't fret! Keep drinking the water to alleviate the toxins and water weight you are retaining. I see GREAT results when I drink all of my water. I always thought the same thing until I FELT better...(suppresses my appetite and rids my body of toxins!) Water is pretty amazing, plain and simple!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium intake too, that will cause you to retain water.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe need to cut down on sodium...
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I'm not sure what to do about it either. This is about my 5th day of drinking pretty much nothing but water. I drink it constantly now (i'm usually a pepsi girl) however, I've been holding on to an extra 3lbs because of it for nearly a week. I'm also discouraged. Makes me want to go back and drink pepsi constantly because I was losing consistently doing that.
  • Aquamarine7
    Options
    OMG! Bobby and Sharp- I changed my settings to show the sodium intake and I'm going over by 1000+ grams a day. That must be it.. Thanks so much!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale dictate success......seriously. When it comes to water weight, it's so random and frustrating that it makes it tough to push through. Have you taken measurements or had a body fat analysis done? Those show a clear improvement monthly and semi annually. Also, for females, there are certain times that our bodies just naturally retain more water, which is frustrating, but then :D afterwards, it's great to lose it again...

The goal of weight loss should be to lose fat, not water, so don't let it get you down. It's short term exhileration followed by short term disappointment......just focus on the fat and the size of your clothes...you'll see the results and once you do, nothing can take that away (except of course a relapse of bad habits ;)....LOL )
  • CallmeCola
    Options
    I totally understand. This happens to me also. Even a trainer to me to be careful of the type of exercises because I build muscle quickly. So be mindful of that. As for the water....keep drinking it. You may gain and first but if you continue you'll get DOUBLE for you trouble!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I totally understand. This happens to me also. Even a trainer to me to be careful of the type of exercises because I build muscle quickly. So be mindful of that. As for the water....keep drinking it. You may gain and first but if you continue you'll get DOUBLE for you trouble!

Your trainer is a blithering idiot. Do you know what it would mean if people were to gain muscle quickly? Steroid dealers would go out of business. Unless you're the exception to the rule I seriously doubt that's the case. I'd like to see someone with a bit more knowledge interject to be certain but the majority at least of people don't gain muscle quickly and especially not at a deficit.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    I had the exact same problem for the first 3-4 days, but seems to be easing up now. Stick with it, the rewards will be worth it.