Weight Watchers

Options
I was thinking about joining Weight Watchers. Has anyone tried it. If so did it work, or is it working for you?

Replies

• Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    I love it! I've lost about 15 pounds in 2 months.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Um...I think WW is a good thing overall, but why spend the money? MFP will help you lose weight if you're logging your calories, and it's free. Again, if you feel the need to spend the money, then join WW, but MFP has all you need.
  • Cranberrypunch
    Cranberrypunch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined WW two years ago and lost 60 pounds in 9 months. I loved WW! It really does work. All of 2010, I didn't lose additional weight as a member but I maintained that loss still following WW. I just let my membership expire at the end of December. I had decided to do MFP to really watch my calories in and out instead of points. Plus, I'd rather have my gym membership than paying for WW. It's a great program though and it really does work! The lifestyle changes it taught me were definitely worth it.
  • apatrick99
    Options
    Weight Watchers is great, I recommend it to anyone. I know they have changed their program to Points Plus, and I am not too sure of what that entails, but I'm sure it is a great program. I plan on going back to WW to find out more about the program. I only stopped going to meetings b/c at the time I had to give it up due to finances, but I still followed the program with the tools they gave me, and have been very successful in losing the weight. The meetings for me are key so I am super excited about going back and being able to participate and share my success with the group. Good Luck to you on your journey!
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was on WW a year ago and lost 20 lbs. I love their site, but I have to agree, this site is about the same and it is free. I am just as happy here as I was at WW. HTH.
    Friend me if you wish......
  • ssmenzel01
    Options
    I am doing the online WW and it is almost identical to this program. The only thing that is different is the tools they have to build meals. The receipes are amazing. You can type in that you have Ground Turkey, reduced fat cheese and tomatoes and it will give you a receipe that you can use that is low in fat and caleries. I do like that part as well as the charts they provide. I think you can do it with this but it is nice to see both.
  • ChloMonster
    ChloMonster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did WW Online last year. It changed my life. I think it is a wonderful program. I lost over 60 pounds last year. I found MFP and decided to do this for the next year. No matter what you do, you have to be committed to do it.
  • sfrench1979
    Options
    i too lost like 60 pounds 10 years ago and still know the points so it helps to pick healthy choices. Its like 50 calories for 1 point changes a little with fiber and stuff. That might help u decide. I just started here im doing 1500 calories WW would want me to do 26 points times 50 calories would equal 1300 but then they have 35 flex points that u eat anytime. So its about the same. Hope this helps.
  • evie81
    evie81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like most people here I'm a big fan of weight watchers. Their plan is very easy is to follow (including the new one) and feeling like you can eat anything as long as you don't go over your points is quite liberating. With the new plan you even get an additional 49 points to blow whenever you feel like it so those sneaky weekend treats are worked into your plan.
    A few examples of points would be a 2 bar kitkat is 3 points, a glass of wine is 4 points, a slice of bread is 2....
    Having said that you need to pay around £4.95 a week in the UK and this site is excellent, so for now i'm sticking with MFP (as i'm skint!) but I would definitely recommend WW!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm joining tonight!
    I know I can get all the support & help here, but there's nothing like face to face help & support, at least for me. And hopefully It'll help curb my 'all or nothing' approach to weight loss.
    It helps that the class is held right next to my workplace & is timed to start right after my shift finishes.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    15 pounds in two months. Wow.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Wow 15 pounds in two months. Thats great!!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I did weight watchers online - I much prefer MFP. Plus MFP is free! The database of foods is better here and the "positive energy" on the message boards is a MFP draw for me. I have friends doing WW now and they are struggling to lose with the new points system.
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    I considered WW but then I found out about MFP and I figured it serves the same purpose if not better in my opinion. My first week of using MFP and being committed to logging in I lost 3lbs. And I;m very encouraged and motivated by this site. I suggest giving MFP a chance for at least a month since it is a free service and see what you think. At that point if you feel as if you didn't benefit then pay to use weight watched. But again, I absolutely love this site...I'm addicted to it and its helping me make a lifestyle change to a healthier me..
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Thanks guys, great advice
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am a weight watcher life member, the program works, but so does MFP if you follow it. The one good thing about going to meetings is that it keeps you accountable, and once you make your goal weight and maintain it for a period of time, you never need to pay again. Good luck to you.
  • hrynkiw
    hrynkiw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Greetings from a MFP novice (joined yesterday, this is my first full MFP day and first posting).

I did WW extensively (achieved goal weight, lifetime member) a few years ago and am now looking for a way to rein back the weight that has crept back on. So far I'm *very* happy with MFP. The app and website suit me much better than several other similar sites I've tried over the past several months.

Is it possible to configure MFP (and its iPhone app) to follow the WW guidelines a little closer? I'd like a greater emphasis on fibre, and the ability to carry "saved" calories forward.

If not, it's no big deal. The overall benefits of MFP outweigh (pardon the pun) those trivial desires.