Big Dreams...Small Apartment (Exercise Machine Ideas?)

Options
I'm thinking of possibly getting an exercise machine. Probably cardio as I do weights at my gym a 2-3 times a week. However, my apartment is not huge so I have limited space and I'm also on the 3rd floor so carrying a treadmill up the stairs is out of the question.

Doe anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• bluesdivaca
    bluesdivaca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You already live on the third floor... could you just run/walk the stairs? They're free. :drinker:
  • spikedholly
    spikedholly Posts: 38
    Options
    I have a feeling doing that on a daily basis will begin to annoy the 24 tenants in the building.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Door hang pull up bar. Then you can do body weight circuit training.

If you're set on cardio, a row machine is a good mix of cardio and resistance. Also, it doesn't take up much room.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would get a bike and a trainer. Then you could use the bike outdoors any time you want, as well. And the trainer takes up very little room. Just make sure you have smooth tire for the back wheel because nubby tires sound like a dirt bike.
  • laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have this exercise bike in my apartment.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/19526003?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227014698221&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41947895590&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34457503870&veh=sem

It folds up pretty small and stands next to the couch when not in use. You could easily put it in a closet (I don't have room in mine). Also, it has wheels on the bottom to roll it out when you want to use it. I love it!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Running Shoes!
    Low comparative cost and very space efficient.

I'm not being facetious, I have had very little luck with at home cardio machines. Well, BUYING them, If have, but USING THEM CONSISTENTLY, I have not. For less than the cost of a machine, you can get kitted out with shoes and clothing for anything the elements can throw at you.

I'm just putting it out there as an option.

I would recommend that while size / compactness of the machine is a consideration, you should be aiming to buy something that you WILL use. I've seen too many friends and colleagues get that machine that folds up neatly... only to never unfold it.

**The poster above that recommended a bike and training has a great idea. If you have a bike or are all interested in getting one - it's a great option. I'd also recommend you think carefully about the air resistance versions. They're great, but noisy.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Tony Little's Gazelle that I use on days I cant get outside. It stores away real easy and comes with a step counter. Its yard sale time so keep an eye out for one. It will be easy to find, just look for the object people hang their clothes on. I also run the stairs in my townhouse totally uncaring of what my neighbors think
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Do you need it because you can't/won't do cardio outside of your home?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition