Logging foods when eating at new places

Options
hp1988
hp1988 Posts: 23 Member
Hi all,

I was wondering what you all do if you're eating out at places that are independent or unlikely to be on the MFP database, like market stalls or one-off restaurants? Do you log it, with each ingredient you can see in the meal, or guess the calories and do a 'quick calorie add' of a certain number, or look up similar items on MFP and put them down?

I tend to do a mixture but it really is a wild guess.

For instance last Friday I had a 'taster menu' at a Mexican place of about 5 dishes, and shared with 1 other person, so the quantity wasn't massive but the dishes were so random I could never look them up on MFP, so I just looked up average calories for a large burrito (which had roughly the same ingredients) and rounded up a bit, and put that calorie count on MFP. But I could have been wildly out from what the calories actually were - who knows!! What would you all do in situations like this? I had to do the same on Saturday where I shared 5 tapas dishes with 2 others - just guess a bit basically! I'd rather guess than not log at all, but I don't know if it's any good doing that.

Just wondering what others do and your opinions!

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If I can't find something similar in the database, then I just do a quick add, but either way I always over-estimate. I rather be off in that regard than log something lower and it be much higher. :smile:
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    No easy answer, some guessing, some comparing, some finding similar things, and some "Oh Hell" just add some calories etc....

One trick that helps is take a picture of your food and afterwards use that to help in your estimating.
  • hp1988
    Options
    No easy answer, some guessing, some comparing, some finding similar things, and some "Oh Hell" just add some calories etc....

One trick that helps is take a picture of your food and afterwards use that to help in your estimating.

That's a fantastic idea! I'm often a little tiddly at the time (or too busy chatting with friends to pay too much attention) so I love that idea. They'll probably all just think I'm instagramming it, haha
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I use the most similar entry I can find, then make a note about where I actually ate so that if I look back I’ll know I was guesstimating my calories for that meal.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Like you, I do a mix. If there aren't too many ingredients, I'll do them individually, for example, some type of skewer with grilled chicken and vegetables wouldn't be too hard to guesstimate. If its completely random, I might just use the quick-add calories feature and take my best guess.
  • hp1988
    Options
    Thanks everyone - it's good to know everyone does the same thing. Putting a note in the notes section that it was a guesstimate to look back on is a good idea too. I was concerned I was kind of 'cheating' doing it, which I am in a way, but I'm glad everyone does it! There's no easy way around it if there is no calorie info on their website or menu!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

+1

Sometimes, you just aren't going to know the calories so use your best guess and remember that one day will not ruin your plan.
  • Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can never expect to be too precise, if your goal is weight loss always slightly over estimate the calories. But I wouldn't get too technical. If you are counting ever gram of bread crumb and being too methodical this could push you to stop counting your calories as you will get sick of it. Keep it basic and you will keep your motivation, that's my advice from what I've personally experienced and from what I've seen from friends. Don't beat yourself up if you're not spot on!
  • hp1988
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    I tend to go to the restaurant's website and sometimes they will have the nutritional facts on there. If not just like the others say... take that pic of the food and the name of what you ordered (meaning the dish) and log it to a similar one! Good Luck.