Why your friends don't want you to lose weight...

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    someone please read that to me.
    Bullies want you to be overweight because bullies gonna bully.

teddy-roosevelt.jpg
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I didn't even lose that much weight, but when I first did it, a lot of people were pretty rude. If I had been a very fat person who had a lot more weight to lose, I might have been more discouraged by that.

I think another thing not mentioned in the article might be that people react negatively when your appearance changes. I think it's an evolutionary reaction because years ago anyone who was losing a noticeable amount of weight was probably sick.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Oh! So in this thread!!

This thread has everything!
    bullies...
    saboteurs...
    inability to control yourself...
    And a giant Scrooge McDuck diving into a vat of gold wrapped chocolate coins!

giphy.gif

I summarized it in my post above.

Ya, thanks for that. I usually don't ask for cliffs, but that large block of text was just daunting.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Tangential: There is ALWAYS a fat/ugly chick in any group of "hot girls". Always. It's symbiotic: the hot girls need the fat one(s) around to make them feel hotter, and the fat girls need the hot girls to get them into better social standing.

Fact.

This manages to offend hot chicks, ugly chicks and fat chicks! Good job you!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Oh! So in this thread!!

bullies...
    saboteurs...

giphy.gif

Ya, thanks for that. I usually don't ask for cliffs, but that large block of text was just daunting.

Seriously this ^^^^^^

There's only so much inane stupidity one can tolerate this early in the morning and between this thread and the attracting women thread I've already exceeded my daily recommended limit.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Tangential: There is ALWAYS a fat/ugly chick in any group of "hot girls". Always. It's symbiotic: the hot girls need the fat one(s) around to make them feel hotter, and the fat girls need the hot girls to get them into better social standing.

Fact.
    Is that fact coming from the mind of a life long wing man?

I'm guessing a self-proclaimed alpha male who isn't so alpha after all.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Oh! So in this thread!!

bullies...
    saboteurs...

giphy.gif

Seriously this ^^^^^^

There's only so much inane stupidity one can tolerate this early in the morning and between this thread and the attracting women thread I've already exceeded my daily recommended limit.

* runs off to find 'attracting women' thread, and runs into another wall of text *

Wonders why he didn't listen.

homer-simpson-doh.gif
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of the stuff in the article but I do believe the part about people giving you crap about trying to eat healthy because it puts them in a position where they have to question their own bad habits. I have noticed this with two people in my life. I know they love me so I don't think they are trying to discourage me. I don't even think they realize how much they do it. Either way, it's their issue, not mine. I have my own issues to deal with so I can't take on anyone elses.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the original poster. It was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    38214783.jpg

i don't have the attention span to read all of... SQUIRREL!

This
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Why does this even matter? Seriously, I don't understand why you NEED other people to approve of your decision to lose weight. What is with this new philosophy that if you don't actively and vocally support people who are doing things you don't care about, you're either jealous or you're a bully? Isn't it okay to just not care?

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Diet sabotage happens, and it is often in the form of a friend or relative wheedling you to eat or drink something you should not, criticizing your food and exercise choices, or suggesting that you are too thin, or are thinning out too fast. It is insidious. In my experience, they do not intend to influence you to stay fat, but they don't like to see you change for some reason. I am guessing it is a comfort thing.

What I do know is this - my personal experience - I often have difficulty making good choices, sometimes I want to quit exercising before class is over because exercising is uncomfortable, sometimes I want to dive headfirst into a bucket of [Chinese food, extra crispy KFC, a Five Guys bacon burger, cheesecake, chocolate cake, cookies, brownies...insert your poison here].

There are many days when I want to say "screw it", because being fat is waaaaay easier than being healthy.

And this is without any external input.

I don't need another voice telling me to quit, that I am fine the way that I am, or that "just a bite" of [insert your poison here] isn't going to kill me.

This is what I say: I am 80 pounds overweight, and I am an obese diabetic. Making healthy choices is a life or death situation for me.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Fact.

I generally tend to assume that any man who feels the need to refer to himself as "alpha" isn't.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? If your friends are being douche bags then there lies the problem with your friendship.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Will read this as your bedtime story later
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Fact.

I generally tend to assume that any man who feels the need to refer to himself as "alpha" isn't.

I'm seeing far to much mention of "alpha" on the boards this morning.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    38214783.jpg

Yup, I agree, I got about 1.5 paragraphs on and then started looking for gifs.
  • caringiscreepyx
    Options
    38214783.jpg

my thoughts exactly
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OP, I see you have placed a lot of thought into this. However, you have missed one key point... 1 out of 4 people aren't obese. National statistics show its more like 3-4 out of 5 people exhibit some level of obesity. So instead of your illusion that groups of people resemble the Goonies:
    goonies-cast.jpg
    They are actually more likely to resemble these fellers:
    4_chubby__1_skinny_by_the_fat_boy-d5lc17z.jpg
    So, by your reasoning... wouldn't the average group of friends make a valid attempt to bully someone onto being the "skinny kid"?
    UfsKJ.gif
    Scientific research based on a preconceived conclusion and non-statistical observations emits nothing but biased garbage.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I always need a chubby friend so I can have sustenance if we get trapped somewhere.