Digestion

Options
:embarassed: I've lost 2 stone in 18 weeks, very gradual but comfortable. What I'm finding now is a change to my 'movements'...as in they are very few and far between. I really have cut back on bread, rice and pasta (which was always brown/wholemeal) but I don't have concerns about my fibre intake, or at least I didn't. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and yes, it happens a lot less frequently. I wondered if anyone else had this too. Thanks for posting. Makes me feel a little more normal! :smile:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you cut out fiber/carbs. (And suffer from IBS on top of it)
    Add more veggies, fruit, potatoes, beans, lentils. Carbs arn't the enemy ;)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    28 lbs in 18 weeks is not really gradual. Its a rate of 1.5lbs per week which is considered aggressive. Half a pound per week is gradual.

If I had to take a guess-- you are eating 5400 calories less per week than you used to resulting in far less waste having to move thru your bowel resulting in fewer movements. If you are getting over 25 grams of fibre per day I wouldnt be worrying too much, if its less then you might need to speak to a doctor or a nutritionist to make sure you are consuming a healthy amount of food for your body's needs and that it is a good balance of the micro and macro nutrients any human body requires. Your diary is closed. There isnt much more I can extrapolate from your text above.
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and yes, it happens a lot less frequently. I wondered if anyone else had this too. Thanks for posting. Makes me feel a little more normal! :smile:

I have ibs as well and have been suffering for months with the same thing I was even given fybogel and laxido of my doctor which didnt do much then I was reading on here that to much fiber can actually bung you up so I stopped taking the stuff of the doctor and I think my stomach is starting to get back to normal
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    It isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you are constipated or the "movements" are painful. If you are eating clean (fruits, veges, meats, healthy fats) foods, your body has less waste. It is using all the good stuff you are giving it. Just make sure you are drinking enough water!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Do you get your 8 glasses a day of water? I mean actual water, not just fluid? Poop needs water to soften and pass out of the bowels....sorry for TMI but it's true! Dehydration can make you constipated.

Edited to clarify that things like cordial are probably ok for hydration (though it as cordial not water!) but any caffeinated drinks can actually dehydrate you so you need water ideally!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had a huge change myself after having to cut out all gluten-containing foods. The fiber issue suddenly was uppermost in my mind. I normally ate about 40 to 50 grams per day and if you're cutting out a large portion of the foods that provide fiber, you are going to notice a difference for sure!

You may want to research which foods will allow you to amp up your intake without compromising your weight loss. It was a bit of a balancing act for me but it's starting to be a little easier finally!
  • RisenRun
    RisenRun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from IBS for over 10 years no matter what I eat. I have found that taking magnesium is very helpful. I found a product called CALM made by Natural Vitality. You can find it online. I put a couple of teaspoons in one of my bottles of water and drink it all day. It helps my muscles, and also I have not had any IBS problems any more no matter what I eat. I hope this is helpful to you, because I understand how awful that is. Good luck.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    Options

I have ibs as well and have been suffering for months with the same thing I was even given fybogel and laxido of my doctor which didnt do much then I was reading on here that to much fiber can actually bung you up so I stopped taking the stuff of the doctor and I think my stomach is starting to get back to normal

I don't take anything. I just changed my diet. I eat lean meats, fruits, veggies and nuts. I go 1 per day instead of 8. Of course, I am sure that is mostly because I have drastically reduced my caloric intake as well as changed the quality of food that I consume.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    Options
    I have suffered from IBS for over 10 years no matter what I eat. I have found that taking magnesium is very helpful. I found a product called CALM made by Natural Vitality. You can find it online. I put a couple of teaspoons in one of my bottles of water and drink it all day. It helps my muscles, and also I have not had any IBS problems any more no matter what I eat. I hope this is helpful to you, because I understand how awful that is. Good luck.

This is because you have an ion-loss problem. I get this with loose digestion. It just means that you are losing the nutrients as quickly as you consume them. I take a calcium, magnesium, zinc and d3 supplement they sell at walmart once daily. If you take any kind of allergy medicine it also messes with your ions.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too. I used to go every morning. Now I go maybe 2-4 times a week. I think it's just a result of less waste that needs to be excreted due to eating less food. You should definitely try to hit your fiber and water goals though if you're not.
  • MrsMac2605
    MrsMac2605 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all, your comments and suggestions are very helpful. I'm definitely hitting my water/fluid requirements at least 5 out of 7 days, I sometimes 'forget' on a weekend. I will certainly try to manage my fibre intake better.