Stress and food

Options
cyndyjlo
cyndyjlo Posts: 17 Member
So, it's getting to me. I am realizing that my hunger has much less to do with actual lack of food than it does with daily stress. Right now I am nuts for something to eat. I have food. I am eating an egg white omelet that I brought to work, but I want something else! Chocolaty, crunchy, salty - that is what will make me feel better and calm my nerves! How do you deal with stress as it occurs throughout the day! I have 15 minutes before the class is back from lunch and ton of work to do. I shouldn't even be on here typing.

Replies

• mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I used to binge and just give right in and feel very unhappy after so I now I try to take a moment and think about how I am feeling...am I really hungry?? I drink some water. And, if I still really have this craving I will give in to a small tasting of it.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The most effective thing for me is to take a minute to just sit and try to figure out why I am feeling so stressed/ upset/ sad/ whatever. If I can identify the feeling and work out what it's all about, it seems to relieve the desire to just shovel food in my mouth. Another thing I've learned is that when I'm focused on food as a stress reliever, I can sometimes distract myself with other things (music, reading, messing around on a message board, etc). The problem with that is that it can be hard to do when you are at work and expected to actually do work stuff so you can get paid. If you can put some ear buds in and listen to music or just get up and go for a walk to talk to a coworker for a few minutes or something, that might help derail the food cravings long enough for you to forget about them..
  • cyndyjlo
    cyndyjlo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes the distraction of this board helps. It's just general work and home, lots of stuff to do, stress. Just made a list of what is most urgent and I am starting there. It would be physically impossible to get it all done. Thanks for your words - just reading them was calming :)
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    The first step is realizing why your eating and bravo for that!... To stop cravings like that is tough... I agree with drinking water or distracting yourself from thinking about food... One way to distract yourself and loss the stress is to relax and slow yourself down... One technique I use is called combat breathing... It is nothing more than breathing in while counting to 4 in your head slowly, holding your breath for a count of 4, exhaling for 4 count, holding for 4 count and starting again... All the while you are clearing your head and thinking positive thoughts... Now if you can do this somewhere quiet or just the sounds of nature, all the better... Ultimately dont let the things you need to get done drive you to stress... Manage your time as best as possible and realize that it will get done one way or the other... Good luck!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Stress causes me to lose my appetite.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's important to deal with stress in a positive manner and there are great ideas about that above. Remember to tell yourself that the food supply is not running out (as stress sends signals to your brain telling you that you're in danger of starving to death which is one of the triggers of cravings).

That being said, there is little reason to not have chocolate/salty/crunchy in moderation. You can start planning a serving of something (at TOM I go for skinny cow, chocolate mini rice cakes, or one of those special K snack treats) for a certain time of day. Either save room for it in your diary or figure out how far you need to walk or exercise to "earn" it so you can add it to the normal foods for the day. When it starts to pop up in your head, tell yourself you're going to have it at 7pm or after an hour after dinner or after you had 16 cups of water, whatever. Then have a drink of water, eat some celery, go for a walk, do 10 squats, go through your mental mantras, etc. When the time comes around, enjoy it because you earned it.

Back in "the day" it helped prevent binging. Instead of never again, it's wait a while longer or get through this part first --then we'll enjoy a treat. On days I did binge, I got in an extra workout to help offset the extra which was a good form of negative reinforcement.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to stress eat a lot, but now I channel my stress into my workouts. If there is a particular person or thing that is the object of your stress, kickboxing can be an awesome way to get out your frustration. I know I have a workout waiting for me when I get off work, and that seems to help me keep the stress at bay. Good luck!