WHERE CAN I FIND THE TIME?!?

Options
So I just recently started getting back into running, and I made a goal for myself on May 6th to run 50 miles by the end of May. I thought that was pretty good (even though last year I was averaging at 60-70 mi), but then I saw someone post an 150+ mi challenge for May.

For me, that's just mind-blowing! How do people find the time??? What would you guys suggest for making time for runs (especially over fall/winter!)?

I'm only taking two classes over summer, so it's a lot easier, but in the fall/winter, I'm taking 18 credits, which is 5 college classes, working about 40-50 hours a week between two jobs, having about 2 sorority meetins a week and doing community service. I have a very VERY tight schedule and I plan out EVERYTHING, but in the fall/winter, it's just hard to find time/justify going for a run when I have so much else to do.

Any suggestions from someone who has been in my position?!

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time student (I have 18 credits this semester as well), I work full time, I'm a care taker for my grandma, I have a 7 year old daughter, a husband....and all the other regular life things people have - extended family events, showers, friends, etc.

I wake up at 5am to go to the gym. If i only lift at the gym then I usually try to sneak in a 3-5 mile run during lunch. Depending on your pace, 3 miles does not take a significatn part of your day and that's my "go-to" when I'm pressed for time. if I'm REALLY short on time for the day, let's say I have an all evening event so I need to do homework in the morning, I'll get up at 5am, do homework, run on lunch, and do my stuff after work. You have to find what works for you but you have ot want it. I don't get quite as much sleep as I would like, but I'm not overly tired and once a week I TRY to sleep in.

I prep everything for the next day the night before for lunches etc and if I'm home on Sunday evening I make two meals that we can eat off of during the week.

If it's late at night and I still haven't worked out (Extremely rare) I will plug in my computer, pull up youtube and check out fitness blender or another site to do a workout that way after my daughter goes to bed.

It's busy and it's hard but it's completely worth it

ETA: YOu honestly just have to MAKE the time. If you watch TV you have time to workout
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time anymore to go on long runs (well, I sometimes have the time but no babysitter). Used to. Life changed, more responsibilities...so my longest run is 3 miles and that is probably, MAYBE, every other week.

So I don't do that anymore. I do sprints, HIIT, and lift.

I just had to adapt to my life at this time. Maybe you will have to do the same for the time being.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before. It is something that a triathlon coach sent out on an email list I belong to and I found it to be true. This is aimed towards long distance triathletes, but I think it applies to anyone.

"It is rare that I walk down the street and FIND money. In fact, I don't think in any aspect of my life, I have ever FOUND Money. I have to make every penny I get. I was recently having a conversation with one of my athletes and the athlete was saying "FINDING time for workouts is harder than the actual workouts". Well, first of all, she was totally correct. The chance of FINDING time is pretty well ZERO. The only way the time becomes available is when we make the time. Then the workout becomes the easy part. But MAKING time for anything is as hard as making MONEY, at least it is for most working age groupers, especially if they have young children....so I said this: ...We need to make time, like we make money, so take FIND out of your vocabulary and you'll have an entirely different approach to time management, because when people waste your time, you'll feel the exact same way as people pissing away your money. Seriously, change the vocabulary and you'll see how it changes your approach to making time :-) As the biggest challenge for most age groupers is to get to the start line of workouts, I thought that I'd share this mindset. Talk to any of the guys who seemingly have "more time to train" and it does not happen by magic. Most are really efficient time managers and do more with the 168 hours we all get in a week than the guy who they are beating who probably has better genetics but is just more disorganized."
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to have insomnia for as long as I can remember, and 2 years ago my doctor told me that if I exercised reguarly, I will never have to take another sleeping pill again. Obviously I didn't believe her (and how can I have the energy to exercise if I don't sleep?!) but I forced myself to give it a shot. It was really hard at the beginning, but I kept going because it really started to help. Two years later, I work out 6-7 days a week...because I HAVE to. I was also overweight at the time, and you can't really get an effective workout in when you're fuelled by a giant burrito so my diet changed too. If I don't workout, I don't sleep. I say "no" to other activities so that I have time to work out. I found some people at work to work out with so I still can get some social time in and not turn into a total hermit! I'm known at work as "the girl who works out all the time". It's just what my life is and I like it this way. I know that it's a lot harder when you're in college and working at the same time but you can make the time for it if you feel like you need to for your health/sanity/whatever the reason.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time anymore to go on long runs (well, I sometimes have the time but no babysitter). Used to. Life changed, more responsibilities...so my longest run is 3 miles and that is probably, MAYBE, every other week.

So I don't do that anymore. I do sprints, HIIT, and lift.

I just had to adapt to my life at this time. Maybe you will have to do the same for the time being.

Thanks for all the amazing feedback guys!!! Knowing that there are other people out there who are just as busy (or busier!) as me, but still find time to work out really makes it seem more possible and motivates me!

The only problem with adapting to it is that I really really REALLY enjoy running! I dont really lift or do much weight training (I do exercises for legs/abs/arms, but I dont make it out to the gym all that often and find it easier to work out at home), but I will have to try sprints and see how that works out.

I'm a huge baby when it comes to sleep, so I like the idea of getting up super early and working out, but I know that wont happen on my current schedule. I think I need to start getting to bed by 10 so that I can get up at 6 and work out, especially during fall/winter, if not over the summer.

What is HIIT?

Also: I know I'm not going to magically find a place open up in my schedule for working out. :smile: This was more of a post to see how other people manage it, when they find the best time to work out, any tips/tricks, etc. I realize that I have to make time, and I will. Just was curious on how other people manage it.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. So for running you could do a 1 minute run at 90% intensity followed by a 2 minute cool down and continue to repeat. it's super effective at lots of things and there are various ways you can do it. I try to do this once or twice a week and it totally beats me up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So I just recently started getting back into running, and I made a goal for myself on May 6th to run 50 miles by the end of May. I thought that was pretty good (even though last year I was averaging at 60-70 mi), but then I saw someone post an 150+ mi challenge for May.

For me, that's just mind-blowing! How do people find the time??? What would you guys suggest for making time for runs (especially over fall/winter!)?

I'm only taking two classes over summer, so it's a lot easier, but in the fall/winter, I'm taking 18 credits, which is 5 college classes, working about 40-50 hours a week between two jobs, having about 2 sorority meetins a week and doing community service. I have a very VERY tight schedule and I plan out EVERYTHING, but in the fall/winter, it's just hard to find time/justify going for a run when I have so much else to do.

Any suggestions from someone who has been in my position?!
    Don't fret over it. Don't compare yourself to others. Just do what you have to do for you. Problem solved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before. It is something that a triathlon coach sent out on an email list I belong to and I found it to be true. This is aimed towards long distance triathletes, but I think it applies to anyone.

"It is rare that I walk down the street and FIND money. In fact, I don't think in any aspect of my life, I have ever FOUND Money. I have to make every penny I get. I was recently having a conversation with one of my athletes and the athlete was saying "FINDING time for workouts is harder than the actual workouts". Well, first of all, she was totally correct. The chance of FINDING time is pretty well ZERO. The only way the time becomes available is when we make the time. Then the workout becomes the easy part. But MAKING time for anything is as hard as making MONEY, at least it is for most working age groupers, especially if they have young children....so I said this: ...We need to make time, like we make money, so take FIND out of your vocabulary and you'll have an entirely different approach to time management, because when people waste your time, you'll feel the exact same way as people pissing away your money. Seriously, change the vocabulary and you'll see how it changes your approach to making time :-) As the biggest challenge for most age groupers is to get to the start line of workouts, I thought that I'd share this mindset. Talk to any of the guys who seemingly have "more time to train" and it does not happen by magic. Most are really efficient time managers and do more with the 168 hours we all get in a week than the guy who they are beating who probably has better genetics but is just more disorganized."

This is so true. If you want to do it...you'll find a way. I personally try and make a competition out of it. How efficient can I be with my schedule in order to achieve my fitness goals. But I hear ya with the busy schedule, I have a crazy schedule, plus almost 3 hour round-trip commute everyday for work. I am doing Half Ironman and Marathon training. I definitely can say that free time is something I don't even worry about...I just make sure everything fits into my schedule somehow...it also helps that I can typically function fine on 5-6 hours of sleep every night.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try to find ways you could save time during the day even if its just a half hour here, or 15 minutes there; it all adds up. Be conscious of how you spend your time, and you might just find that hour you need a few times a week to get your extra mileage in.

Big thing for me when I was struggling to get in the gym was my commute; I used to sit in rush hour traffic on average about 3 hours a day. I was literally spending 32 DAYS of my year sitting in traffic (Detroit traffic is abysmal). That was a lot of wasted time.

I asked my boss if I could shift my work schedule from coming in at 8:30am to 7am every day, and while getting up when it is still pitch black out is hard, the extra hour I save on my commute every day by avoiding traffic gets put to better use a.k.a. the gym.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT?

Another poster already defined it, so I won't.

My HIIT involves running stadiums, sprints, kettlebell swings (different variations), ball slams, burpees, and lunges with slam ball overhead.

Oh man, just remembered I used to do frog hops in there too. Need to add those.