Which steak has the lowest kcal value?

Options
I can't seem to find non-asterisked entries in the database for this, unless I'm looking under completely the wrong things...

Trying to decide which cut of steak, at 100g/3.5oz, has the lowest kcal value. Other internet sources keep giving me different numbers, so I'm really not sure, and I'm obviously blind when looking at the database >.>

Thank you in advance for any help

Replies

• beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked into which has the lowest numbers but when I was looking at the calories in some of the meats I buy I used the USDA data base:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list#

You should be able to find info on there for the different cuts and which would fit what you are looking for.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find non-asterisked entries in the database for this, unless I'm looking under completely the wrong things...

Trying to decide which cut of steak, at 100g/3.5oz, has the lowest kcal value. Other internet sources keep giving me different numbers, so I'm really not sure, and I'm obviously blind when looking at the database >.>

Thank you in advance for any help

I'd guess a filet, although that is the most overrated cut of all
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's steak.

eat all of it

as much of it
    and enjoy the hell out of it.

steak is the best thing god or chuthulu ever gave us.

well- next to beer- and sex.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them all. But, if' I'm not wanting to throw my macros out of whack. I go with a good top sirloin.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them all. But, if' I'm not wanting to throw my macros out of whack. I go with a good top sirloin.

Yea, top sirloin is the leanest I believe.

Flank, London Broil are fairly lean as well and taste much better than top sirloin.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My go-to is sirloin. Just a scant amount of fat mostly around the edge with slight marbeling - just enough to give it some flavor.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with filet. It may not necessarily be the leanest but it's a nice balance of taste/leanness in my opinion.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    According to Mayo Clinic:

More than 20 cuts of beef now meet the USDA's regulations to qualify as lean or extra lean. Of theses, the following are considered extra lean:
    •Eye of round roast or steak
    •Sirloin tip side steak
    •Top round roast and steak
    •Bottom round roast and steak
    •Top sirloin steak

In the MFP database there is a non-asterisked entry for Beef - top sirloin (it has more details in parenthesis, like pan fried I think) but when you choose that entry you'll find it was user entered. I'm not sure how that works. There are size choices including 100g.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the help :) It seems my confusion is because I'm British and the term "Sirloin" in the US is "Rump" in the UK! I think that's settled it

Note: options were fillet, sirloin, rump or rib-eye. Rump seems to be the winner.

it's steak.

eat all of it

as much of it

QFT :P
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the help :) It seems my confusion is because I'm British and the term "Sirloin" in the US is "Rump" in the UK! I think that's settled it

Note: options were fillet, sirloin, rump or rib-eye. Rump seems to be the winner.

it's steak.

eat all of it

as much of it

QFT :P

Sirloin is porterhouse here in Aus :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Fat contents is what will increase your calories as protein contents will remain the same on the same animal.
    The leanest piece of meat is the one that will have the lowest calories.
  • Nexgear
    Nexgear Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with the others here, I'd go for top sirloin. Tip steak is also pretty lean. I think with steak the trick is to just get the lowest fat one because that's where most of the calories come from.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you're getting steak, get prime rib.
    Just go all out. It's all or nothing.