Do you lose

Options
inches before you lose weight? Because I have gotten myself down in a jean size but my weight is still the same. :( I need help.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I went through a period (can't remember now how long) where I only lost a few pounds but several inches off my waist. Progress is progress!! You're obviously doing something right. Keep at it, be patient and the scale will show a difference eventually.

P.S. this is what's referred to as an NSV - Non Scale Victory. Celebrate!
  • disney_mama_13
    Options
    Inches are fantastic! Remember, a pound of muscle is much leaner than a pound of fat. Your initial changes may have you being fitter which won't change the scale much but will change your size. Speaking for myself, i have more weight to lose so I will seem "smaller" before I actually lose a lot of weight! Good luck! Maybe we can be friends on here! I know I'd love the support and we could help one another! :)
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm *thisclose* to being halfway to my goal, I've been stuck. Scale hasn't budged from 180ish (and how badly do I want to see it go below there!?) in a couple of weeks. But, I've lost 3 inches off my waist since I first took measurements about 2 and a half weeks ago. I'm working out harder than ever, so, sometimes that's just the way of things! Learn to love those NSVs. Scale's nothing but a number :) But for real, I do feel your frustration.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This keeps happening to me. I've lost 2" off my waist and 2" off my hips and lost 0lbs. Its super annoying when I step on the scale, but super awesome all the time I'm not standing on the scale since I look great :)
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying. :) Means a lot!
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    Inches are fantastic! Remember, a pound of muscle is much leaner than a pound of fat. Your initial changes may have you being fitter which won't change the scale much but will change your size. Speaking for myself, i have more weight to lose so I will seem "smaller" before I actually lose a lot of weight! Good luck! Maybe we can be friends on here! I know I'd love the support and we could help one another! :)

That would be awesome thanks!
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    Sometimes. I went through a period (can't remember now how long) where I only lost a few pounds but several inches off my waist. Progress is progress!! You're obviously doing something right. Keep at it, be patient and the scale will show a difference eventually.

P.S. this is what's referred to as an NSV - Non Scale Victory. Celebrate!

Mandyfat10808 Selector
    Joined Jul 2011
    May 13, 2014 10:34 AM
    Thank you so much for replying. :) Means a lot!
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    Now that I'm *thisclose* to being halfway to my goal, I've been stuck. Scale hasn't budged from 180ish (and how badly do I want to see it go below there!?) in a couple of weeks. But, I've lost 3 inches off my waist since I first took measurements about 2 and a half weeks ago. I'm working out harder than ever, so, sometimes that's just the way of things! Learn to love those NSVs. Scale's nothing but a number :) But for real, I do feel your frustration.

Thank you so very much! :)
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    This keeps happening to me. I've lost 2" off my waist and 2" off my hips and lost 0lbs. Its super annoying when I step on the scale, but super awesome all the time I'm not standing on the scale since I look great :)

I wasn't going to step on the scales but I said since I haven't had anything to eat or drink this morning let me just check. And I wasn't happy about it but then I said to myself I must be doing something right since I can get back in a 14 again.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    When I was doing very low carb for weight loss 2 summers ago (hey, guess what? I'm baaaack!), I would not lose weight for 2.5 weeks out of the month. I'd have my period, and then weight would FALL OFF for 1.5 weeks, then back to a steady weight for the next 2.5 weeks. During this whole time, I pretty steadily lost inches though. Could be a hormonal fluctuation!
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    When I was doing very low carb for weight loss 2 summers ago (hey, guess what? I'm baaaack!), I would not lose weight for 2.5 weeks out of the month. I'd have my period, and then weight would FALL OFF for 1.5 weeks, then back to a steady weight for the next 2.5 weeks. During this whole time, I pretty steadily lost inches though. Could be a hormonal fluctuation!

hormonal fluctuation? Thanks for replying. :)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Your cycle.

Your sodium intake could also be masking weight loss. There's a lot of things that could be hiding the loss, but I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone said about, you're obviously doing something right :)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My losses tend to flip between the scale and the measuring tape. One week its the scale, and then another week when the scale doesnt budge suddenly my pants get too loose. A scale is only an indicator of progress its not the only one worth watching. Your body composition can change dramatically while your scale does little. No clue why but its my experience and the experience of pretty much everyone on my friends list.
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options

Your cycle.

Your sodium intake could also be masking weight loss. There's a lot of things that could be hiding the loss, but I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone said about, you're obviously doing something right :)

Thanks Yeah I just got off my cycle a few days ago. So you might be true there. Thanks.
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    My losses tend to flip between the scale and the measuring tape. One week its the scale, and then another week when the scale doesnt budge suddenly my pants get too loose. A scale is only an indicator of progress its not the only one worth watching. Your body composition can change dramatically while your scale does little. No clue why but its my experience and the experience of pretty much everyone on my friends list.

Thank you so much! That helps me a lot. :)
  • Mandyfat10808
    Options
    Weight flucates more than waist. The waist measurement is a better representation of physical progress. Its better to track your weight in regions than individual pounds. We all like to think its all about the weight, but that's not necessarily the best way to go. So many people get hung up on the pounds they are or aren't losing and forget about their actual body composition, stamina and muscular improvements. If I had to rank measurement importance in a list, I'd put it like this:

1. Metabolic Rate
    2. Metabolic Age
    3. Body Fat percentage (by caliper testing)
    4. Waist measurement
    5. How I feel (recovery to workouts, stamina)
    6. Weight

Thank you so much for the list. :)