Vegitarian diet

Options
Lizzie4942
Lizzie4942 Posts: 20 Member
Helloe everyone,
My mom and I are starting a vegitarian diet start monday. We eat fruits and veggies only along with water only. I'm little scared cause I love meat. I'm not sure how well i'm goona do this. The good part it's only for ten days. If anyone had done this before I would love some helpful hints. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TinyBriony51
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, always have been! But I don't just eat fruits and veggies. I eat lots of quorn/soya to get protein, hummus, falafels, bean salads, lots of yummy things! It isn't as boring as it sounds :D
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian diet doesn't mean you can only eat fruits and vegetables. Look up vegetarian recipe websites and read up. You can make wonderful, delicious, and healthy meals that don't contain meat.

Try these:
    http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
    http://www.vegweb.com/
    http://plantbasedonabudget.com/recipes/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/main-dishes/quick-and-easy-vegetarian-recipes/
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Are you not having grains? Dairy? Eggs? What about beans and lentils? Veggie burger/meat substitutes?

Will be very hard to get enough protein on fruit and veggies only, I think.

I've been vegetarian since 1989, but I eat grains, dairy, eggs, legumes, etc.
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    Options
    Good for all of You for either being a vegetarian or choosing a vegetarian diet for a week. It's an ethical way to live! I encourage You to take more vegetarian days - it's good for You too!
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of great recipes out there, if you look around. You might even enjoy taking a break from meat. We consume way too much meat. Next time try doing it for 30 days, and longer the next time after that. Your body will thank you!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, always have been! But I don't just eat fruits and veggies. I eat lots of quorn/soya to get protein, hummus, falafels, bean salads, lots of yummy things! It isn't as boring as it sounds :D

This. I've been a vegetarian for 4.5 years now and I eat MUCH more than just fruits, vegetables, and water. I put a lot of effort into getting plenty of protein every day, which means eating a variety of foods, including beans, nuts/seeds, eggs, cheese, yogurt, tofu, tempeh, and other soy products.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    One question: Why?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    One question: Why?

I'm curious about this as well. I mean, I'm all for making meatless choices or choosing a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, but what do you hope to accomplish in 10 days?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    This isn't a vegetarian diet; this is a crash diet. Becoming a vegetarian is a lifestyle change. You don't do it for 10 days. You also don't just eat fruits, veggies, and water. What you're describing sounds like going Raw, which also involves raw grains like oats, corn, etc.

Anything you lose on your crash diet will be regained at the end of your 10 days.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    facepalm.gif
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Anything you lose on your crash diet will be regained at the end of your 10 days.

This, precisely. If you're going on a 10 day crash diet of just fruits and veggies, you're going to burn through your glycogen (6-8lbs) and maybe lose a pound of fat? You're body is just going to think you got sick for 10 days. Then when you start eating normally, you're going to replace the glycogen. All the weight will come back on, and probably within about 48 hours.

So I don't know why you are doing this. It's not going to help you lose weight.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian isn't really a weight loss strategy. You can eat some real crap as a vegetarian.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What about beans or rice? You aren't going to get adequate protein eating only fruits and vegetables. You need some plant proteins in there too. Some seeds and nuts help as well.
  • Lizzie4942
    Lizzie4942 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just read everyone's post. They all sounded great with good tips. I really liked what one of you said I will gain everything back once I eat normally agian. I dunno why we are doing this. One of my moms friends at her work is doing veggie and fruits an water only for ten days so mom joined in and then I did. I have always wanted to try a vegitarian diet but so far through this process I have gained weight rather then loosing it. I am also finding myself way hungry and more tired. I'm about ready to just forfit. I would love some helpulf hints from vegitarians to help me stay strong. Just add me as a friend and message me. Thanks for all your support.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just read everyone's post. They all sounded great with good tips. I really liked what one of you said I will gain everything back once I eat normally agian. I dunno why we are doing this. One of my moms friends at her work is doing veggie and fruits an water only for ten days so mom joined in and then I did. I have always wanted to try a vegitarian diet but so far through this process I have gained weight rather then loosing it. I am also finding myself way hungry and more tired. I'm about ready to just forfit. I would love some helpulf hints from vegitarians to help me stay strong. Just add me as a friend and message me. Thanks for all your support.

I say forfeit and go get a burger. I just told a woman the other day on Facebook that if I tried to do vegan, I would gain my weight back. Meat and dairy help me feel full. If I'm stuck with only plants, I'll eat like there's no tomorrow and still feel hungry.