Is there any reason to

Options
Worry about macro timing or carb cycling as a newbie lifter trying to bulk? I understand there will be some fat gain on a bulk that can be minimized by taking it slow. What I want to know is if macro manipulation has proven to have any measurable effect on fat vs muscle gain in a bulk.

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That's highly individual. Some people can get away with eating lots of carbs to increase their cals while bulking while others will need to eat more fats and protein to avoid gaining fat. The only way to know which way is best for you is trial and error. As far as macro timing is concerned; eating most of your carbs for the day post weight training should help limit fat gain. It's important to note that this will only be effective if you are really hitting the weights hard for over an hour. If you are doing a body pump class or don't use a lot of weight then nutrient timing isn't as important.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    RobsGirl_lds Posts: 211
    Options
    That's highly individual. Some people can get away with eating lots of carbs to increase their cals while bulking while others will need to eat more fats and protein to avoid gaining fat. The only way to know which way is best for you is trial and error.
    So 2 or 3 bulk cycles down the road I should know which is best for me? That sucks I was wanting to avoid the trial and error stage!:cry:

Thanks for the answer.

Edit to add
    I lift heavy and am training to gain size. I lift 4x weekly and while I think cardio/body pump has it's place, it won't give me the results I'm looking for. I just hit 135 on squat which I am quite proud of.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're actually lifting real weights. There's always something more productive to do than Bodypump.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    RobsGirl_lds Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're actually lifting real weights. There's always something more productive to do than Bodypump.
    lol be nice it can be a fun group activity to warm the muscles.