I'm new! I don't know what to do!!

Options
Hello!
I am looking for fitness pals that can be there for me. I need help with motivation, and cravings. I am currently 234lbs. My two goals are these:
Loose 10lbs by June 24th
Loose 20lbs by August 1st.
Are these realistic goals? Can anyone provide me with helpful tips and information?
I am an emotional eater, and I would like to overcome that.
I always have this strange feeling that I need to be eating. Then I over do it and feel so guilty I sometimes cry.
Any help would be most appreciated.
I want to loose this weight so I can feel better about myself and be healthy. I dont want to be obese or have diabetes...I want to ENJOY my life while I am here.

Thanks everyone! add me as a friend!
-Andre'a

Replies

• Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is anywhere from 1-2 pounds a week.

The key is healthy eating, and getting into some habits. Start small - cut out juice and pop...drink your 2 litres of water a day, change to skim milk. Don't expect to go cold turkey on everything at once.

I try my best to follow this rule at the grocery store. Only shop the outside...that is where all the fresh, non processed foods are.

Set a goal for working out. Cardio is important, but also fit in some weight training too. Muscle weights more than fat, so as you build muscle, you lose body fat % and tone up. Don't be upset if you find yourself gaining a couple pounds a week while weight training. You are losing body fat and that is what's important!

I too am an emotional eater and I struggle with this daily. Its a lot of work and its not easy to overcome. You are here, this is the first step. Hats off for you coming here. It will only get easier.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is anywhere from 1-2 pounds a week.

The key is healthy eating, and getting into some habits. Start small - cut out juice and pop...drink your 2 litres of water a day, change to skim milk. Don't expect to go cold turkey on everything at once.

I try my best to follow this rule at the grocery store. Only shop the outside...that is where all the fresh, non processed foods are.

Set a goal for working out. Cardio is important, but also fit in some weight training too. Muscle weights more than fat, so as you build muscle, you lose body fat % and tone up. Don't be upset if you find yourself gaining a couple pounds a week while weight training. You are losing body fat and that is what's important!

I too am an emotional eater and I struggle with this daily. Its a lot of work and its not easy to overcome. You are here, this is the first step. Hats off for you coming here. It will only get easier.

I know you mean well, but some of this is not correct. Muscle and fat weight the same, a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat. It is difficult at best to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, the vast majority of people can't do it. Also, no need to change you diet at all as far as the foods you eat. The only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. OP, eat at a modest calorie deficit while eating the foods you love. I too am an emotional eater and the tool I use to help with this is to plan my meals for the entire day. In other words, I spend calories like money. I budget for the day and that helps me stay within my goals. Exercise is always a good idea, but it isn't necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is all you need.

ETA. OP, your goals are fine. You can absolutely do it.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pratt.

I meant the dense when is referred to as weighs more. Improper terms on my part.

I gained a lot of muscle and wasn't seeing the weight drop...but I was toning and losing fat. It was a trade off. One that i am happy to trade in!
  • jeanbattalia
    jeanbattalia Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have different comments for you and there is some truth to it all and sometimes some bad info (which I haven't seen here).

The truth (in my opinion) comes from a silly little quote that I read online
    "Get fit in the gym. Lose weight in the kitchen."

To me, this means you lose weight by having calorie deficit - meaning you burn more than you take in.

However, you can lose weight and still be weak and flabby. This is what working out is for (although it also helps to burn calories).

I don't want to give you a ton of information on here, but please feel free to add me if you would like a buddy :)

Jean
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a great thread with really helpful info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

For me it's all about lifestyle changes. I've lost weight before & then gained it back. This time I'll only make changes I can keep. Progress not perfection.
  • fequick
    fequick Posts: 16
    Options
    My story is very simuliar! I'm at my heaviest at 271lbs, 5'3. I cannot, I refuse to live like this anymore. I have started Zumba at my job and obtained a membership at a women's only gym. I need motivation. I need someone with a simuliar story. I really need a "fitness pal" that will produce results with me. I have a daughter that's 5 and she desires a sibling, the only way that will happen is if I get down 35lbs. I need to lose at least a 100lbs. I'm hoping to meet this goal in a 1 1/2 or less. I believe I can do it.
  • Shablonda
    Shablonda Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey! i am also new and looking fro new friends to help me on my journey to be in a better state of health and well being, i will be happy to give and receive support from you on our quest for better health and diet!
  • birdsetfree
    birdsetfree Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it's 80% what you eat and 20% what you do ... someone wrote it earlier ... you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. Words to live by ... and we eat WAY more than we think. Break it all down. If you have a chef salad ... account for every ingredient -- you will be shocked. Also don't guess at portions -- measure them. Use your measuring cups and if you don't have it already, get a digital food scale.
  • mlhhite
    mlhhite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • jeanbattalia
    jeanbattalia Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it's 80% what you eat and 20% what you do ... someone wrote it earlier ... you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. Words to live by ... and we eat WAY more than we think. Break it all down. If you have a chef salad ... account for every ingredient -- you will be shocked. Also don't guess at portions -- measure them. Use your measuring cups and if you don't have it already, get a digital food scale.

I have to agree with this! We think "Oh! I am eating a salad. It is healthy. I'll lose weight." Nope. Salads can add up to as many calories as "junk food." Measure everything and count it up - you'd be surprised. As you start to check out the foods you're eating and what they really add up to, you'll start to realize that some foods are more filling with less calories. Go for those foods. Think fresh fruits, veggies, etc. I also suggest trying recipes out because foods that taste and look good are going to be more appealing and less "boring" than ones that look and taste bland. Losing weight doesn't have to be boring and monotonous.

I am doing this quite slowly, but I am changing for life, as opposed to trying to do everything overnight.

Jean