Is there a point to doing ab work if you can't see them?

People always say that doing crunches won't but fat, caloric deficits do. So I was wondering if there was a purpose in doing them if there is enough fat over them that they can't be seen (like me, lol). I do a lot of compound lifts which require me to engage my abs but is it worth me doing extra ab work?

Replies

• bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Having a strong core can prevent a whole host of injuries. So yeah, I say it is worth it.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Having a strong core can prevent a whole host of injuries. So yeah, I say it is worth it.

Yes

what they said...

JUST DO IT!!!! jeez...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    People always say that doing crunches won't but fat, caloric deficits do. So I was wondering if there was a purpose in doing them if there is enough fat over them that they can't be seen (like me, lol). I do a lot of compound lifts which require me to engage my abs but is it worth me doing extra ab work?
    No. There is no good reason EVER to do crunches. Compound lifts will work your abs far more than crunches ever will. Besides, core strength is just as much BACK strength as it is ab strength. The back tends to be totally neglected when it comes to "core routines."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I always recommend that people with a lot to lose focus on getting their body fat down first, and then once body fat is down to focus on more core/ab/etc work. Reason being, I always see people in gym that have a lot to lose and they are spending 20-30 minutes a session on abs, and all they are really doing is spinning their wheels; rather, if they took the time to lift heavy using compound movements and mix in some cardio on off days, they would see the fat come off faster and their abs would show more AND then they could start focusing more on ab work ...

honestly, I only train abs once a week for about 30 to 40 minutes...
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Having a strong core is a good thing but crunches is not the best way to get there. I recommend reading this:
    sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    If you're already doing heavy compound lifts, supplemental ab work is probably not a big deal. If you just have extra time you want to spend working out and you've already hit all the "important" exercises for the week, some ab isolation movements won't hurt. But definitely don't prioritize this sort of work ahead of your diet, your compound lifts, and so on. Another option would be to look into some functional training for your core, where you can treat it more like a circuit and it essentially doubles as cardio.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    I do a lot of core exercise (and it includes back work (and obliques)) because I want better posture. That's like a free 10lbs and 5 years of freebie to your looks!!

I may never have a six pack, but at least I won't have a hunch back.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen, meaning you'll have to lose some weight and eat a proper diet if you ever want to see them. Regardless, there is always benefits of course to doing ab workouts to help increase the strength of your core.

Incorporate weight / resistance training into your routine. When you lose the weight you want to lose you can then start working towards muscle growth. That's my plan.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Core work is beneficial. "Ab work" is not, imo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    No. There is no good reason EVER to do crunches. Compound lifts will work your abs far more than crunches ever will. Besides, core strength is just as much BACK strength as it is ab strength. The back tends to be totally neglected when it comes to "core routines."

Not to mention that crunches can be potentially harmful to your back and/or neck.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I always recommend that people with a lot to lose focus on getting their body fat down first, and then once body fat is down to focus on more core/ab/etc work. Reason being, I always see people in gym that have a lot to lose and they are spending 20-30 minutes a session on abs, and all they are really doing is spinning their wheels; rather, if they took the time to lift heavy using compound movements and mix in some cardio on off days, they would see the fat come off faster and their abs would show more AND then they could start focusing more on ab work ...

honestly, I only train abs once a week for about 30 to 40 minutes...

+1
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Just like another poster said- injuries. I can defiantely feel my abs engage when I am squatting, especially that front squat. Whoo whee. I might not have a six pack but i have my ab strength to thank for my heavy squats, deads.etc.

All it takes is to throw out one's back to appreciate what the abs are really supposed to do- stabilize the SPINE.

When I was training for a bikini comp...I had 6 pack abs but I was WEAK. All a 6 pack means is that I stripped off the fat. Fastforward to now, no 6 pack . Heck no 1 pack. But I am strong. I can squat over 200 lbs and deadlift over 220...and you can't do that at my weight, without having TRUE abdominal STRENGTH!
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    I believe there are a number of reasons to work on your abs before you can see them. It is good to have a strong core. The core is your middle, and a lot of your efforts starts from there. Basically, if your core is weak, it leaves you prone to injury and weakened efforts. If you end up hurting your back/lower back, you are less likely to do any exercise. When it hurts to move, most people don't move, much less exercise.

Second, you will begin to feel your abs long before you will see your abs. For a long time I told people I had a six pack, it would simply take a shovel and a pickaxe to find them! However, when your belly/core area loses enough fat for you to start to see the abs, you will want them to start showing, rather than be starting to develop them.

There are more reasons but those are my first two. Abs should not be your only work out. It is not the first place to get fit and then move to other areas. Abs should be part of a holistic program. Work your whole body, and abs should be part of it. Also, many exercises work your abs, so you are not limited to crunches and sit ups. There is lots of good stuff out there. Try as much as you can and stick with the ones which work and the ones you like.