maintain without calorie counting?

Options
Does anyone on here know how to maintain without counting calories?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you're 5ft6 and 95lbs, maintenance should not be something you are trying to do...
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I want to maintain without counting once I'm done losing the weight. I hate having to keep track of everything I eat every day. My strategy for my next stint at maintenance is:

1. Buy yourself a scale. I don't have one, which is why I failed at maintaining last time I tried I think.

2. Decide on a range you want to stay in. For me this would likely be 63-68 kg (I think). Also decide on a range of measurements you want to stay within (say a certain waist circumference)

3. Weigh and measure yourself once a week. As long as you're inside of your desired range, don't count. If you fall outside of it, start counting again to get back to you ideal weight.

This would of course be after a while of counting on maintenace in order to learn adequate amounts of food.

ETA: You are not at a healthy weight. You should probably try to gain a little in order to be healthy.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would go with what your nutritionist is advising, and rely on professional help.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Please seek professional help. Your posts have clearly indicated that you need help that we can't provide you here in the MFP forums.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

You are a valuable human being and if what you have said in other posts is true...you have a husband that cares about you. You have said that he wants you to gain some weight...wants to have a baby with you. If you share this desire with him...seek the help that you need in order to get healthy.

With the problems that you are facing you need the help of one on one doctor/dietician/family...not an anonymous message board that may or may not give you the advice that you need to follow.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of criticism recently of forum members on this site, for unduly criticizing people and appearing unsympathetic - but I have to say, all of these posts here (above - can't comment on those that follow) appear eminently sound, caring and sensible in my opinion.

Please listen to them OP.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Professionals want to help you get better. Please let them!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    why are you looking to maintain when just the other day you were asking how to gain weight. At 95 lb you need to gain.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I've read your posts before and I strongly recommend that you seek professional help before it's too late.
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    why are you looking to maintain when just the other day you were asking how to gain weight. At 95 lb you need to gain.

This. Seriously, just hours ago you said in another post you were seeking help (professional and message boards) to gain and get to a healthy weight... and then you turn around, create another post asking how to maintain this extremely unhealthy weight? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1285120-husband-says-he-liked-me-weighing-more?page=3

Honey, please - GET THE FLIPPIN HELP - I'm sure that getting attention is good and all, but please get the help.
  • manningania
    manningania Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific yes I am aware that I need help...when I get to a healthy weight I want to know how to maintain without falling into calorie counting and end up where I am now or overweight. I am planning for the future and I am sorry for posting so much maybe this was a mistake :/ all I want to know is how to be able to maintain without counting because society has made calorie counting everything just like food commercials saying this product has only 300 calories, it just feeds this addiction.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Again: Get help. You need to work through this now, before you further damage your health.

Your posting history:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/34004237
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The only way I think it's possible to maintain without counting calories is to maintain WHILE counting them for a few months, until you have an accurate sense of how much of your foods you are able to eat while maintaining. Only when you're used to maintaining-type quantities of all the foods you usually eat, is it possible to not count and rely on estimation. At least that's how I understand this. I'm going into maintaining my weight now, and this is how I plan to go about it since I do not foresee wanting to use MFP for the rest of my life!

And as others have said (and I'm glad you acknowledged you have issues with food/mindset), at 95 lbs you definitely need to gain weight, with the help of health professionals. Best of luck recovering from whatever is troubling you!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I logged everything in MFP for nearly 2 years. I have not been logging for the last 6 weeks. I have been maintaining (losing a little). Logging everything for an extended period of time gave me the knowledge to not log. No real trick to it.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    From reading the above posts, it sounds like this is an unhealthy obsession for you. It's really rough. I have a friend who is a normal, healthy weight and even has muscle, but she is tortured by negative thinking about eating. I second (or third or fourth) the advice to get help, although I would add this: get OFF of MFP. You are too focused on this, and it's not good for you. Best of luck to you.
  • GracieGag
    GracieGag Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm just about where I need to be at this point. My plan is to still eat healthy and sensible. If you have lost weight you should know how to eat in a healthy way by now. My plan is to weight myself everyday and if the weight starts to go up, just cut back a little and/or exercise some more. There is no way I am counting calories forever. I don't want this to be an obsession, just a healthy way of living and eating.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To maintain, one must first get to a reasonable weight for one's size/gender etc.

Then, simply don't eat too much or too little. Weigh occasionally. If the scale is trending in a direction you don't want, either add or subtract calories by adjusting portion sizes, number of snacks, amount of cardio etc. This has worked for me for 2 years.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why even concern yourself with this now?
    Gain some friggin weight first. Do you really want a baby, if you do then get yourself healyht. You really need to get of these forums and go eat something.
    Posters know this sounds harsh but please read this girls posts........there're any conflicting posts... And nows she wants to know about maintenance without counting calories... Arghh I give up.????????????????????????