What do your feed your kids?

Options

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Loving all these food choices! As much as I attempt to give my kid a healthy balanced diet, I wonder if I am a bit too anal. My mother gave my child soda once, and it felt like Independence Day, except I was the alien. Parenting is tough, and I think that as long as our kids aren't eating cigarette butts and rusty cans, we are doing pretty good. lol
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    I don't have a bread machine, but I use the same recipe every week and it's ridiculously simple. The recipe makes 2 loafs so you can split the recipe if you just want one for the week

Soft 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

6 to 6-1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    2-1/2 c. warm water (between 105-110 degrees)
    1-1/2 TB instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) – regular active dry yeast can be used as well
    1/3 c. honey
    1/3 c. oil
    2-1/2 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 TB. vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL (I don’t use this anymore)
    Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15 minutes.
    Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only tablespoons of flour if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
    Form into two loaves and place in greased 9×5″ pans. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes (1-2 inches above pans). Preheat oven to 350 ten minutes before rising time is done.
    Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
    Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack.
    Makes 2 loaves

And the link if you want to bookmark

http://www.anoregoncottage.com/whole-wheat-sandwich-bread-101/

Awesome! I am going to try this asap, I have been looking for a fairly simplistic bread recipe. Thanks. :)
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My 14 month old eats exactly what we eat. We eat very healthy, although not organic. He is not a big meat eater, so I give him hummus, cheese and beans when he wont eat the meat portion. He looovvesss veggies and fruit so its usually pretty simple. I try to give a protein, starch and veggie at every meal and fruit as snacks. :)
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I don't distinguish between healthy and nonhealthy or junk food. It's all food, it has no inherent moral value.

In my house, we talk about how to discern nutritional content and why someone might choose one kind of food over another depending on one's fitness and wellness goals, but my son is 16 and for the most part I let him eat whatever he wants. He favors pizza, cookies and barbecue, but since we eat a varied diet and have always had fun trying out new foods, he'll also happily eat Brussels sprouts, Greek yogurt, kale and prefers whole grain breads.

I want my son to have a healthy, functional and informed relationship with food and eating habits, and that means not forcing him to think about some foods as "bad" and some foods as "good."

He's 5'10" and a skinny Minnie. :) He never gets sick, and he runs and hikes with me, too.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    my kid lives on carbs and air mostly. She never ate baby food and didn't like pureed foods either. I;ve always cooked from scratch and offer a variety of foods. She's picky and left to her own devices will eat junk and sugar. It's really impossible sometimes since I offer loads of good food and I don't really eat much junk food myself. This morning she packed her lunch and it consisted of a laughing cow cheese triangle, an apple and a left over bag of corn chips (which I usually throw in the fire place). She's 10yo very thin and tall. I am hoping our attempts at good nutrition will rub off in end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A smattering of everything...both my boys love fruit and eat plenty of it...very picky about vegetables and will only eat a couple different kinds but namely they will tolerate peas. My youngest likes eggs most morning while my eldest prefers cereal, though he will have eggs if they are in a breakfast burrito with potatoes and cheese. Cereal of choice for both is cheerios or quaker oat squares...my youngest also likes Coach's Oats for his oatmeal fix but my eldest won't touch the stuff.

Both of my boys love black beans and have recently discovered black bean and rice burritos so that's a new lunch/dinner favorite at the moment. Pasta with marinara is another favorite. Both are also into grilled chicken and dad's homemade burgers but haven't quite found the taste for a nice juicy steak just yet.

To all of that I would add that they also eat the typical kid junk like chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese (not my wife's bomb homemade stuff...the Kraft crap)...hotdogs (eldest will only eat Hebrew National and yes, he can tell the difference somehow), etc. The thing about "healthy" is that it is very subjective and most people neglect to take into account the overall diet and put too much focus on individual food items.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My kids eat what we eat at supper time.

Breakfast is usually a bagel, or frozen waffles and a fruit or yogurt and some juice or milk. Sometimes they'll have cereal like Vector (they love it!)

Lunch our sitter feeds my youngest, usually a fruit, a veggie and either sandwiches, pasta or mini-pizzas.

For my older child, I pack her lunch and she gets a fruit, a veggie, cheese, sometimes yogurt, a sandwich/noodles/perogies/fish sticks, a juice box (or she'll buy milk) and then a treat - a wagon wheel, dipped granola bar, sometimes a little container of chocolate chips.

They aren't picky - but each has favourites when it comes to textures/flavours just like we do, so I don't force those things on them because they are getting a good balance of all food groups.

We also love ourselves Banana Splits, and movie nights with snacks!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Ever since my daughter was a baby/toddler she ate whatever we did. I've always worked and don't have the time to do separate meals for everyone, and always believed there was no reason to give children separate food. I tried pureed food on her once, but she found it frustrating and didn't like that she wasn't eating the same as us, so we just gave her finger sized and shaped pieces of whatever we had, and just progressed to not cut-up as she got older.

The rationale for my losing weight has always been to be more healthy, which means that we ALL eat more healthily. So lean meats, red meat maybe once a month, a fair amount of fish, wholegrain bread, wholegrain pasta, and huge quantities of vegetables and fruit. I cook everything from scratch (I have a bread machine so I can make my own bread), and very occasionally when I'm on a business trip SO will take our daughter out for a hotdog. We discuss healthy eating quite a bit in an informal way, and we're now stressing the importance of swapping out a piece of fruit instead of another slice of bread at breakfast (and why!), and things like that. For breakfast we have a poached egg, wholegrain bread, fruit, yogurt, or steel cut oats I make in a rice cooker overnight.

Making your own bread is such a great way to keep the ingredient list down to what you want, never thought of that! Is it fairly simple of a process?

The bread machine itself was pretty pricey, but I've gotten my $$$'s worth out of it. I order flour and ingredients in bulk online, but I love that I can have fresh, homemade bread all year round. I hate turning on the oven just for a loaf - in summer it makes the whole house unbelievably hot and in winter turns the thermostat off so the bedrooms are freezing (yeah, our oven has great insulation..).

I've always loved making bread, so I mainly got it because I love the process, I love kitchen gadgets with a passion and there is practically no mess since you load it up and then leave it to do its stuff for 3-4 hours. Also, it means I don't have to go to the grocery store just to buy a loaf of bread for daughter's lunch sandwiches.

I use the Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Other kids
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Ever since my daughter was a baby/toddler she ate whatever we did. I've always worked and don't have the time to do separate meals for everyone, and always believed there was no reason to give children separate food. I tried pureed food on her once, but she found it frustrating and didn't like that she wasn't eating the same as us, so we just gave her finger sized and shaped pieces of whatever we had, and just progressed to not cut-up as she got older.

The rationale for my losing weight has always been to be more healthy, which means that we ALL eat more healthily. So lean meats, red meat maybe once a month, a fair amount of fish, wholegrain bread, wholegrain pasta, and huge quantities of vegetables and fruit. I cook everything from scratch (I have a bread machine so I can make my own bread), and very occasionally when I'm on a business trip SO will take our daughter out for a hotdog. We discuss healthy eating quite a bit in an informal way, and we're now stressing the importance of swapping out a piece of fruit instead of another slice of bread at breakfast (and why!), and things like that. For breakfast we have a poached egg, wholegrain bread, fruit, yogurt, or steel cut oats I make in a rice cooker overnight.

Making your own bread is such a great way to keep the ingredient list down to what you want, never thought of that! Is it fairly simple of a process?

The bread machine itself was pretty pricey, but I've gotten my $$$'s worth out of it. I order flour and ingredients in bulk online, but I love that I can have fresh, homemade bread all year round. I hate turning on the oven just for a loaf - in summer it makes the whole house unbelievably hot and in winter turns the thermostat off so the bedrooms are freezing (yeah, our oven has great insulation..).

I've always loved making bread, so I mainly got it because I love the process, I love kitchen gadgets with a passion and there is practically no mess since you load it up and then leave it to do its stuff for 3-4 hours. Also, it means I don't have to go to the grocery store just to buy a loaf of bread for daughter's lunch sandwiches.

I use the Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger.

BRB going to buy a bread machine! :happy:
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Most of her meals consists of big macs, pork rinds and krispy kremes. Sometimes we let her cheat and get a diet soda.

What about happy meals? LOL
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Great post! My kids don't eat nearly this well, but I try.

Unfortunately, somewhere between toddler years and school age they have gotten pickier - and prefer repetition.

Breakfast is eggs, ww toast with pb, yogurt, fruit, smoothies, lots of cereal, sometimes homemade treats

Lunch is generally wholegrain crackers and cheese or pb and honey on ww bread almost every day - they ask for it. It is served with rotating fruit and yogurt and every now and then a little treat (a cookie, some pretzels, a few chocolate chips). I try to mix things up but they never like it and go back to their standards.

Dinner is whatever we eat which is usually pretty healthy. They have to try a bit of everything. Sometimes they devour their weight in salmon, sometimes they turn their noses up at it. If they did not care for dinner, they can have fruit or yogurt. I am not a short order cook LOL

As they get older, I try to involve them in meal planning and preparation. They each get to pick a dinner once a month - it is usually tomato soup and grilled cheese, penne with broccoli, hot dogs and beans, or chicken and sweet potatoes. They also love anything served on a stick (chicken satay) or in small versions (tiny tacos).

Last night, my 5 yr old helped me carmelize some onions and sautee some peppers. He thought it was magic! My kids generally turn their noses up at these veggies, but a taste test ensued and they each discussed why they liked green or red better - and how the onions were sweet. It was great. We'll see if anyone eats them at dinner tonight!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Loving all these food choices! As much as I attempt to give my kid a healthy balanced diet, I wonder if I am a bit too anal. My mother gave my child soda once, and it felt like Independence Day, except I was the alien. Parenting is tough, and I think that as long as our kids aren't eating cigarette butts and rusty cans, we are doing pretty good. lol

That was me with my first. Of course, we had some real issues with the in-laws at first - they were trying to feed my not even 3 MONTH old pancake syrup, frosting from cake, ice cream, etc. I wasn't there for the first incident, but I went pretty alien on my DH who informed his family that we didn't want them feeding our child anything. Wasn't until the next incident that things got even uglier. My MIL and FIL finally respected our wishes but SIL and BIL didn't, so DD was never left alone with them again while she was that young. Even now, they ask if it's okay if they give the kids XYZ and know it's not okay with me if they are giving my 3 year old soda or the likes.

I have relaxed a lot on my food fanatacism, too, because DH is now primarily in charge of breakfasts and lunches and he isn't nearly as anal about stuff as I am. The kid's aren't picky about healthier choices, so I try not to worry as much now.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Ramen and hot dogs.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My kids get what we eat unless I know that they really don't like what we are having and then they have something else. But for the most part we all eat the same foods.

^ This. They eat what we eat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    On a funny note, it's my kids now that come to me telling me what is healthy and what isn't. Apparently some kids criticized their chocolate milk for not being healthy (ok, it's arguable). Gotta love what they learn at school :laugh: I think next time I'll tell them that it's fine to eat as long as you don't eat too much of it.
  • geminigrey
    geminigrey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My gobbo baby is 22 months old, and she has two modes: bottomless pit or lockdown. By and large, she eats what we eat, which is nice because a little bit of leftovers go a long way for a toddler. She eats a lot of fruit (blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, grapes) for snacks, along with graham crackers, peanut butter, etc etc. At this point, we try to give her lots of options that aren't junk, we don't do any kind of sodas, very rarely does she get watered down juice, all other times it's milk and water. The grandparents keep her about 2-3 days a week, and fighting them to not feed her garbage is tough. Kidlet got her first taste of a poptart the other day, but really didn't care for it much.

Mostly though, she just eats mommy's food, because that's always better than anything else.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My son eats what I eat...he is given choices and usually decides on the better option but I think then when he doesn't pick the best option for him it's ok. And to be fair my son is 3 but will eat his veggies before anything else and usually leaves the carbs on the plate. He doesn't eat sandwiches for who knows what reason except for the occasional fluffernutter but I'm ok with it. Breakfast are usually fruit and an egg sometimes with bacon/sausage. Lunch is some kind of nut, fruit, and cut up veggies. Dinner is whatever I make, usually chicken with 2 or more veggies and a carb. And he drinks water usually...so he eats fine.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Mostly though, she just eats mommy's food, because that's always better than anything else.

QFT - the best diet ever - just have something that they don't have and you won't have to worry about eating it!
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My son eats what my fiance and I eat. I try to keep dinners well rounded and as made from scratch as possible. I feel like the short of this is just make sure you stay mostly away from processed foods and add in some kid friendly items once in a while. It doesn't have to be a big deal.