Sleep

Options
aneary1980
aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
Does anyone else track their sleep quality?

It's meant to be important but no one mentions it?

Replies

• bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't "track" quality necessarily but I use my Fitbit Flex to see how long I slept and how restless I may be and my CPAP stores it somewhere. I do know that my average sleep during the week is NOT enough. Due to my own fault I normally average 4 hours during the week. I know my weight suffers for this because when I get 6 or more on the weekend I will lose weight. I think that it has to do with how your body processes work over time. I have gotten up after 4 hours of sleep (for various reasons) and weighed myself before laying back down. After sleeping another hour or two and getting up for the day I have weighed myself again and found that I will weigh less, sometimes as much as 2 lbs. My very non-scientific conclusion - better sleep and more of it equals a thinner, healthier me.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    4 hours!!!

I can't cope unless I get at least 6 and 8 or more is best!

I wish I could have another 4 hours in the day I would get so much more done.
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a written record of my sleep, but I tend to go to bed about the same time and get up the same time most days. I know when I dont sleep well, I feel it the next day. I agree, it is at least as important as diet and exercise.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How much I sleep has no effect on my weight loss. And frankly it doesn't make any sense that it would for anyone. I don't believe it.
    I get as little as 4 hours of sleep some times on workdays and as much as 10 on weekends when I have nothing to do.

Sure, if you don't get enough sleep you will feel tired and sluggish but there's no reason to say it's "just important as diet and exercise" if you're trying to lose weight.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of research that supports the fact that people with regular sleep cycles lose more weight on average than people who do not. Whether it's due to sluggishness or the fact that sleep is a time for body repair, restoration of energy stores in the muscles, and low-stress waste filtering, I know it's important. It's also been shown that people who sleep little struggle more with controlling addictions and of course are more prone to drinking caffeine and eating to stay awake. When caffeine and other stimulants have an inflammatory effect on the body, and lack of sleep does as well, it would seem to me that you're doing yourself a disservice to not make a point to get regular sleep.

As for tracking it, I do for the most part. I have a BodyMedia Fit, and it monitors how much I move during the night and how long I'm laying down/sleeping during the day. Considering the average REM cycle of 1.5 hours, it's pretty on point with it's tracking, showing mild movement every 1.5-2 hours throughout the night... And it's also shown me that I do probably sleepwalk still, due to track steps and sometimes even extra calorie burns.

Without sleep, your body is more and more likely to be in a constant state of disrepair... I don't know why people would force themselves not to. Granted, I am an insomniac for stints of time, and realize that not everyone has the ability to sleep effectively, but I do try to make sure that if I can't sleep a full night, I get at least a REM cycle or two for the sake of my brain ;)
  • thebejota
    thebejota Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get about 5.5 to 6 hours during the week and 7-8 on the weekend. Kicking caffeine has helped the most, I fall asleep fast and sleep pretty well overall compared to when I was drinking loads of Diet Mt. Dew.

Not sure of the affects with weight loss other than I feel like I may be putting in a better workout.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I can, with all certainty, expect to get nailed in the head repeatedly with good, clean shots from my opponent in kick boxing if I go to class sleep-deprived. I'm entirely freaking useless at home, work and with my hobbies too. I maybe get 1/2 of what I need to get done, done.
    I need my sleep! (7-8 hours).
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    How much I sleep has no effect on my weight loss. And frankly it doesn't make any sense that it would for anyone. I don't believe it.
    I get as little as 4 hours of sleep some times on workdays and as much as 10 on weekends when I have nothing to do.

Sure, if you don't get enough sleep you will feel tired and sluggish but there's no reason to say it's "just important as diet and exercise" if you're trying to lose weight.

Actually leptin and ghrelin are two different hormones that are used to regulate appetite. Studies have shown that if you do not get adequate sleep, these hormones are thrown off and it triggers your appetite and messes up the signals. I know when I'm WAY too tired I definitely want to eat more. It can certainly impact appetite which CAN affect weight loss. Doesn't have to, but it can.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Actually leptin and ghrelin are two different hormones that are used to regulate appetite. Studies have shown that if you do not get adequate sleep, these hormones are thrown off and it triggers your appetite and messes up the signals. I know when I'm WAY too tired I definitely want to eat more. It can certainly impact appetite which CAN affect weight loss. Doesn't have to, but it can.

additionally, sleep and sleep quality affects cortisol levels dramatically due to stress, and cortisol levels are definitely a factor in weight retention.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine going on 4 hours of sleep regularly. Wow! I would not feel my best. I suppose some people do...but I need 8 solid hours of uninterrupted sleep!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have never slept well. Quite honestly I was EXPECTING that losing almost 80 lbs would improve my sleep quality - it didn't. I also sleep @ 4 hours per night (last night it was 3). I have tried sleeping earlier, later, fed, not fed, having just eaten, having not eaten, with coffee/tea and without. Frankly NOTHING I have ever done has improved my sleep quality. I have a fitbit which I also use to track. I wake up at least 10 - 12 times every night.

So MAYBE I could have lost more weight faster IF I was actually able to sleep... but not sleeping hasn't made a darn bit of difference in my case. Maybe it's because I'm just used to not sleeping.. who knows.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is because I have sleep apnea, but when I hear about people having problems getting enough sleep I automatically think they should consider talking to their doctor about it. It's a hassle to get diagnosed with it, but it can save your life. If left untreated it's a quick route to a heart attack because of all the extra stress on your heart from "dying" multiple times a night.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I have never slept well. Quite honestly I was EXPECTING that losing almost 80 lbs would improve my sleep quality - it didn't. I also sleep @ 4 hours per night (last night it was 3). I have tried sleeping earlier, later, fed, not fed, having just eaten, having not eaten, with coffee/tea and without. Frankly NOTHING I have ever done has improved my sleep quality. I have a fitbit which I also use to track. I wake up at least 10 - 12 times every night.

So MAYBE I could have lost more weight faster IF I was actually able to sleep... but not sleeping hasn't made a darn bit of difference in my case. Maybe it's because I'm just used to not sleeping.. who knows.

I feel your pain. I've had difficulty falling asleep for the past 15 years or so, now with the onset of perimenopause I have difficulty staying asleep once I get there. My fitbit says I'm waking 10 to 12 times also. I can see why sleep deprivation is a torture technique.

I have room-darkening shades, white noise, pink noise, don't consume caffeine or alcohol, seldom watch TV, stick to a fairly rigid sleep routine with wind-down time before bed -- I've implemented all the "sleep hygiene" tips but nothing has made one iota of difference.

The quality of my sleep is fine (I've never had anyone comment about my breathing during sleep), it's just getting enough of it that's the problem.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift so sleep is minimal almost daily. I don't have any idea if I would lose more if I slept more, but I have been losing pretty steady since I began MFP. I am happy with m y progress thus far.
  • TannerBoyl
    TannerBoyl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use a Jawbone UP to track the quantity and the quality of my sleep. I have been tracking it since December 2013. It has been really interesting.

It used to be that I would need at least 7 hours of sleep. In those 7 hours, I would get about 3 hours of deep sleep. When I'm physically active, I can't sleep much more than 6 hours. When I check my quality of sleep, I'm getting 3.5-4 hours of deep sleep and feel much better.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. For me, I see no point in having a device tell me I had a crappy night of sleep, when I *know* I was tossing and turning all night.
    Today I am getting Natural Calm magnesium supplement to see if it helps. Hopefully adding more yoga to my routine will help as well.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't track sleep, but I can tell you that I don't get much sleep at all. A really good night of sleep for me is 6 hours. I often get 5 or less. I don't have trouble falling asleep but I often wake up (not due to snoring or apnea or whatever). I think it is somehow a genetic thing as my mom had the problem, my brother has it, and my niece has it. I am so used to it that I function very well most of the time. On an especially bad night though, what I do notice is that the next day, I'm often way hungrier than I normally would be and crave crappy food more and often give in more to those cravings.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't have to track it to know it's terrible. Even my melatonin/benadryl cocktail makes it only slightly better.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I use a Jawbone UP to track the quantity and the quality of my sleep. I have been tracking it since December 2013. It has been really interesting.

It used to be that I would need at least 7 hours of sleep. In those 7 hours, I would get about 3 hours of deep sleep. When I'm physically active, I can't sleep much more than 6 hours. When I check my quality of sleep, I'm getting 3.5-4 hours of deep sleep and feel much better.
    thats pretty cool, i had no idea things like this were available to the public without outrageous cost (although $160 is still a little pricey). definitely something to look into in the future
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. For me, I see no point in having a device tell me I had a crappy night of sleep, when I *know* I was tossing and turning all night.
    Today I am getting Natural Calm magnesium supplement to see if it helps. Hopefully adding more yoga to my routine will help as well.

haha yes! I have a bodymedia band and used to leave it on when I slept. Until I saw how depressing it was to be constantly reminded at how crappy I sleep. not only do I typically not get as much sleep as I would like, I wake up often and frequently can't fall back to sleep. Seeing this information made me even more lethargic.

I also thought about adding yoga in as often my muscles are achy and my mind is racing and I believe a light yoga (even 10 minutes) that's not super hard core might be good for that