Healthy snacks high in protein but lower in fats....?

Options
Hi, I find lately that by increasing my protein intake....the foods I'm eating are taking me a little above my allowed daily "fat" intake. Anyone know of any healthy food items that I can snack on during the day that are high in protein but a bit lower in fat??

Replies

• freedon87
    freedon87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites
    fat free cheeses
    greek yogurt

all of those have no fat at all :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Low fat dairy like cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt(plain) are all great especially with a bit of fresh fruit or veg.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    All the low fat dairy products previously mentioned. I would also add low fat ricotta.
    Snack sized cans of tuna
    Hummus (varieties made with little/no oil)
    Edamame beans in the pods (my fave tv watching snack)
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What everyone said here!
    Also, I love baking tofu in curry or other spices and then having them in the fridge to snack on. suppa yum!!
  • april979
    april979 Posts: 39
    Options
    Pre cooked chicken strips, jamieson slim down bars, flavoured tuna
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Strips of well seasoned chicken breast, whether homemade or pre-cooked, are an excellent high protein, lower fat option. If you want to make it more snacky, impale them with skewers.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Agree with low fat dairy, as well, just please don't eat fat free cheese :noway: . That stuff's gross :laugh: . Fat free greek yogurt is a great option.

Beef jerky? Just watch the sodium/preservatives, if that stuff bothers you. Same with deli meat - ham or turkey rolled up with a bit of sliced cheese or cream cheese is delish, just watch the ingredients if need be. Or cook your own lean meats to have on hand, as someone else mentioned.

I'm currently loving Simply 7 quinoa chips. 20 chips is 130 calories, 6g fat, 12g carbs and 8g protein, so it's a good balance and satisfies the salty/crunchy craving with the added bonus of more protein than you'd usually get from chips and such. I personally think they're darn tasty, too - sort of a cross between a Sun Chip and a Muncho (if you've had those).
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    So what's wrong with fat?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Deli chicken, turkey or ham in the flavor of your choice, rolled up with a bit of mustard. If you're splurging, add some cheese.
  • hannhr
    hannhr Posts: 22
    Options
    Beef jerky! The prepackaged snack packs they sell at Costco are incredible. 90 cals and 14g protein a piece.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So what's wrong with fat?

Nothing in and of itself but the OP's issue was that her protein snacks were putting her over her recommended % of fat
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like turkey, but the less-processed lean deli slices are pretty good rolled up with a Sargento Thin Slice of swiss, or even just an apple slice if I don't want to add any fat at all. Same with black forest ham.
  • albasole
    albasole Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great tips!