Am I Weird...?

Options

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Eh, I wouldn't really say I'm asking for permission. I know I can go - but it's valuable to know for example that some men think that a woman alone in a sports bar is an invitation to get hit on.

Well, if you didn't know that, then yes I would think making this thread was a good idea.

If someone makes eye contact, just glare. Works for me.
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eh, I wouldn't really say I'm asking for permission. I know I can go - but it's valuable to know for example that some men think that a woman alone in a sports bar is an invitation to get hit on.

Well, if you didn't know that, then yes I would think making this thread was a good idea.

If someone makes eye contact, just glare. Works for me.

Embarrassingly, I tend to fall short on the common sense scale in these situations.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not quite. I just want to go watch hockey! Is that so bad?

You sound Canadian. That's automatically weird.
  • xochristianna
    Options
    These responses are cracking me up. I am absolutely not Canadian.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You must be a pretty hardcore fan. Personally, I would just watch at home. Then you can celebrate and drink as much as you like without worrying about how you're going to get home. If you do go out, maybe you can dress in loose clothing, wear a cap and get your own table. I wouldn't recommend the V. Stiviano face covering. It's true what the other posters say, some guys are going to think a female by herself at a sports bar is probably there to meet guys.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i don't know where you live vs. who you are rooting for, but if you are in a different location than your team (like if you live in Florida and are a Rangers fan) I would call ahead to be sure the game is playing at that bar. The NBA has games going on and we are in the middle of baseball season.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so, but if you feel uncomfortable, then maybe you should just mention it to your SO. That way there isn't any pretense about why you are there.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do find it weird that your husband is out of town at the same time as your friends...
  • xochristianna
    Options
    i don't know where you live vs. who you are rooting for, but if you are in a different location than your team (like if you live in Florida and are a Rangers fan) I would call ahead to be sure the game is playing at that bar. The NBA has games going on and we are in the middle of baseball season.

I'm in Chicago and rooting for the Blackhawks. They probably won't play any other games. Also, I'm going to a bar that we frequent to watch hockey at/have dinner.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    enjoy it!
  • xochristianna
    Options
    Yes, I do find it weird that your husband is out of town at the same time as your friends...

No no no...my husband is out of town, my friends who like hockey are busy. We live in the city, and my friends who care about hockey are in the suburbs.

I have lots of other friends I suppose I could watch with but, tbh, it's hard to watch a game you're really in to with someone who really doesn't care.
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Not weird, but get ready to be hit on. Woman alone in a sports bar that means open game to many men

This.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I used to tend bar in a sports bar and women came in alone all the time for stuff like that.
  • sbetts2229
    sbetts2229 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Cool, only if you are a Pens fan...:)
  • Tiki1978
    Tiki1978 Posts: 364
    Options
    Go for it. When I use to live in the city I did it all the time, I never got hit on! You'll be fine
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I'm in Chicago and rooting for the Blackhawks. They probably won't play any other games. Also, I'm going to a bar that we frequent to watch hockey at/have dinner.

If you want to feel weird I can come meet you there. Blackhawks fan here, though I tend to watch the games in goalie mask, skates, and jock strap. Friend date?
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Not weird, sounds normal to me. :smile:

If it's normal to this guy, it's probably pretty weird.
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the bar to watch the Red Wings play all the time! Not a problem, but be prepared to get hit on! Be sure to have a glass of water in between beers (if you intend to have a beer or two), and pass on the peanuts and popcorn! Eat a healthy meal before you go so you aren't tempted to eat bar food. Have fun!
  • xochristianna
    Options

If you want to feel weird I can come meet you there. Blackhawks fan here, though I tend to watch the games in goalie mask, skates, and jock strap. Friend date?

Hahaha um tempting, but I doubt they'll let you in the bar like that. Also, it seems like you are missing some equipment. Now imagining Crow in just goalie mask, skates, and a jock strap. :love:
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not weird. Just have that "I'm not the one to **** with face" and you should be cool.