Thyroid

Options
annko65
annko65 Posts: 18 Member
Hello everyone,

I am a 49 year old woman and a few years back I started putting on weight, having odd mood swings, strange tear outbursts, bad temper, being lethargic and some other symptoms that I couldn't explain.
After a visit to my doctor and many tests I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid which explained the 30kg I put on without knowing why or what was happening to me. Since then, for the last nearly 10 years, I have tried any diet under the sun (I mean it), from healthy eating plans and restricted regimes to health clubs and groups.... and I believe I am not the only one...
Anyways, for years my doctors were trying to balance my thyroid and they all said to me that if we don't balance it no matter what diet plan I follow, wouldn't work. A while ago I had my tests again and this time they showed a good and balanced rate because finally my doctor had given me the right pill dosage of the thyroxin but he never advised of what I should do about my weight gain and fluctuations....
I am here because I would like to exchange opinions and seek advice if anyone of you has or had similar issues...
I have reached 106kg and since I joined MFP I managed to lose a couple of kilos...my extra weight drives me crazy and it is a matter of health now, not only looks...
Any advice on how to lose the extra weight when having underactive thyroid?

Thank you

Replies

• christianqt2
    Options
    hi ann. I just had this pill prescribed to me too and today was the first day of taking it. They have me on a very low dose (12.5mg) and it may take a while for me to see any result but I am trying. I have gained alot of weight in the past yr (25 lbs) and didn't know why and just chalked it up to my first year of being "happy happy happy" as I got married last yr but that was about it but I definitely experience alot of the symptoms you wrote about like being tired all the time, being moody, etc. How long have you been taking the thyroxine and has it made any difference in how you feel?

sharon
  • fr33fir3sgirl
    Options
    Hello Ann

certainly not the only one! I've been on levo for 16 years (I'm at 125mcg dose now). When you are levels are in the normal bracket, do take advantage of it. Being 49, you know how hard it is as we get older to maintain not alone, loose weight! It might be worth taking a rest metabolic test. It's based on your resting heart rate and breathing. A nutritionist can determine your calorie intake. (which is what I am doing next week also worth researching about) I can't say what will work for you, because there is no "one fit size all" diet with us under active thyroid. For me, it's intense works outs that help me trim down and tone up. I'm told 90% in the kitchen 10% in the gym, well not for us under active thyroid folks! We have to ring a different bell.

Take in an account of this, when we stress for too long .. this goes for anyone, we produce higher levels of Cortisol. that's the pesky chemical we have that makes it harder to loose weight when our levels are too high. My husband was a body builder and I am learning much from him about the chemicals our bodies produce. For a quick reading
    http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

you may want to add some lifting in your exercise - muscles burn more fat!

"After age 25 we all start to lose muscle mass—a fifth of a pound of muscle a year, from ages 25 to 50, and then up to a pound of muscle a year after that—if we don't do anything to stop the decline. And on top of a slumping metabolic rate, loss of muscle strength and mass are empirically linked to declines in the immune system, not to mention weaker bones, stiffer joints, and slumping postures. Muscle mass also plays a central role in the response to stress. And further research is expected to show measurable links between diminished muscle mass and cancer mortality. " (taken from http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-does-your-body-burn-fat?page=2)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and lost weight more slowly than most, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • starrbabe1028
    Options
    I have recent started levothyroxine for an enlarged thyroid and I have a 5cm nodule that my endo is trying to shrink, has anyone had success with shrinkage and weightliss as I've gained 18 lbs recently??
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 2 years, and my nodules are still uncomfortable. But my Synthroid & Cytomel dosages are ever-increasing. Maybe the nodules will shrink once my levels are good?

As for weight loss, I reached goal by following the advice in this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants