Struggling to eat 1200 calories

Options
Hi

I'm currently on 1230 calories a day in order to lose about 2lb per week but I quite often struggle to eat that much.

I am VERY accurate with my logging, I get my 5 portions of fruit/veg a day and 2 litres of water most days. I eat my three main meals + snacks but I often fall under my 1230 calorie goal and I don't feel hungry for it!

For example, today I ate a total of 1019 calories and this included having a bowl of ice cream after my dinner!

On top of missing this 1230 target, some days I am even more out because I exercise and don't eat the calories back. Today my NET was only 891 once you factor in exercise as well, yesterday it was 857.

As I said I don't feel hungry or particularly tired but everything I've ever read says that netting less than 1200 calories is bad for you!

Is this something I should be concerned about in the long run? Should I try to make myself eat more or increase the calories of my meals? My dinner yesterday was only 168 calories but I still felt full!

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    throw in a serving of almonds (160 cal) or a little peanut butter.....they will up your calories and it's not a lot of food to eat. It's really not hard to reach 1230 calories when you throw in some calorie dense foods.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain an extra 70 lbs by not being able to eat 1200 calories.

Eat real food. Not low fat/no fat/low cal/diet foods.

Have a spoon of peanut butter.

Eat some almonds.

Add real dressing to your salad.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

ETA: Typo
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    two words: peanut butter! yum! maybe throw some chocolate syrup and whip cream on that ice cream :)
  • TombRaider347
    Options
    Hello, sorry for maybe a dum question, but do you have to eat the 1200? I have 7200 which I absolutely not reach, I try always to be under to lose quicker my KG or is this wrong?
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain an extra 70 lbs by not being able to eat 1200 calories.

Eat real food. Not low fat/no fat/low cal/diet foods.

Have a spoon of peanut butter.

Eat some almonds.

Add real dressing to your salad.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

ETA: Typo

No I gained the extra weight by just eating all the wrong things all the time but not because I was necessarily hungry for them. Since deciding to do something about it though I've found that I am actually satisfied with normal portions of healthy foods - meat/chicken + plenty of veg but they don't add up to many calories.

Not a fan of salad dressing or peanut butter but I love almonds so will try adding those (and other nuts I guess) to my diet, thanks.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    throw in a serving of almonds (160 cal) or a little peanut butter.....they will up your calories and it's not a lot of food to eat. It's really not hard to reach 1230 calories when you throw in some calorie dense foods.

I don't like peanut butter but I do love almonds so I will try this. Thank you!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If eating 1200 is so hard...how did you get overweight in the first place? Eat more of the stuff you ate before, just in smaller portions, and you'll bump up your intake very easily.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm currently on 1230 calories a day in order to lose about 2lb per week but I quite often struggle to eat that much.

I am VERY accurate with my logging, I get my 5 portions of fruit/veg a day and 2 litres of water most days. I eat my three main meals + snacks but I often fall under my 1230 calorie goal and I don't feel hungry for it!

For example, today I ate a total of 1019 calories and this included having a bowl of ice cream after my dinner!

On top of missing this 1230 target, some days I am even more out because I exercise and don't eat the calories back. Today my NET was only 891 once you factor in exercise as well, yesterday it was 857.

As I said I don't feel hungry or particularly tired but everything I've ever read says that netting less than 1200 calories is bad for you!

Is this something I should be concerned about in the long run? Should I try to make myself eat more or increase the calories of my meals? My dinner yesterday was only 168 calories but I still felt full!

Sometimes it is a mental game, sometimes it is because you are eating very low cal items like a lot of veggies, and people often forget when you are eating without caring about calories its easy to pack away 4700 calories a day, but when you are eating and being mindful (more fruits/veggies less big macs and fries) it is harder to hit 1200 calories.

The best thing, to do is eat full fat foods - things you like, nuts work - don't fill you up but calorie dense, avocados, full fat dressing etc.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Options
    If eating 1200 is so hard...how did you get overweight in the first place? Eat more of the stuff you ate before, just in smaller portions, and you'll bump up your intake very easily.

You... you are the people I am talking about when I said this

"people often forget when you are eating without caring about calories its easy to pack away 4700 calories a day, but when you are eating and being mindful (more fruits/veggies less big macs and fries) it is harder to hit 1200 calories."

I got fat because I can literally eat 4700 calories and still be hungry at the end of the day. Creamer in coffee alone used to kill me calorie wise.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

This.

Those "all the wrong things" are food. Eat them, just not in the quantities that you did before.

ETA: Unless you had Pica, in which case, don't eat glass, clay, paper, etc. Those are not food.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you honestly don't *have* to eat all 1200 calories. Honestly, the "magical 1200" number is not at all applicable to all people and it doesn't make sense to assume everyone will be sick if they go under 1200. Nothing happens unless you are consistently malnourished, which if you are eating healthily, you won't be. As long as you get all your vitamins and minerals in, not making it all the way to 1200 doesn't matter. Netting lower than 1200 is fine too if you're not hungry. Just make sure you get enough protein so you don't lose muscle mass.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    Hi

Sometimes it is a mental game, sometimes it is because you are eating very low cal items like a lot of veggies, and people often forget when you are eating without caring about calories its easy to pack away 4700 calories a day, but when you are eating and being mindful (more fruits/veggies less big macs and fries) it is harder to hit 1200 calories.

The best thing, to do is eat full fat foods - things you like, nuts work - don't fill you up but calorie dense, avocados, full fat dressing etc.

Exactly! Thank you!

It's easy to say "oh how did you even become overweight if you can't even eat 1200 calories". The answer is because I wasn't paying ANY attention to what I was eating. Like you say, it's easy to eat THOUSANDS of calories when you're just eating whatever and not worrying about how many calories things contain. Now that I am aware maybe I am being too cautious? But like I said it's not even like I'm not treating myself (the ice cream was delicious!).

I think I will just have to try adding nuts etc. I did look at some almonds the other day but the amount of calories per 100g scared me off! Perhaps I am just being TOO aware and cautious now.

Thanks for your advice!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    So just curious, how much ice cream do you have after your dinner??? (1/2 cup, 1 cup, ??) The reason I ask is, I have a pint of B&J a couple nights a week and that alone is 1120 calories and 2 cups of ice cream atleast to me is enough to satisfy me but I could easily eat more without blinking.... Do you weigh and measure out all your food???
  • Pixi_Rex
    Options
    Just to give you guys an idea how easy it is to get fat but struggle to eat 1200 calories a day.. this was ONE day before I started trying to lose weight - most day looked pretty similar the food may have changed except breakfast.. .breakfast never changed.

Breakfast
    1 XL Tim hortons double double ( cream and sugar)
    1 Bagel BELT (with bacon, eggs, lettuce, tomato)
    Calories: 790

Lunch
    Big Mac & Fries
    Calories:790

Dinner:
    WokBox Teryaki noodle box
    Calories: 803

So if you do that math that is 2483 calories, there was no exercise and I would look for the closest parking spot to any store I went to.

Now I eat fruits, veggies and decent protein and I have some days where 1200 calories is exhausting because I have eaten correctly. I also exercise now too so there is that.

Before you jump all over someone about "how did you get fat" maybe think.. gee maybe this person turned their whole lifestyle upside down and is now re-learning and may actually really be struggling. Telling someone to eat the way they did before but in moderation does't always help - because some people like myself didn't even know how to cook before they started losing weight.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Options
    Hi

Exactly! Thank you!

It's easy to say "oh how did you even become overweight if you can't even eat 1200 calories". The answer is because I wasn't paying ANY attention to what I was eating. Like you say, it's easy to eat THOUSANDS of calories when you're just eating whatever and not worrying about how many calories things contain. Now that I am aware maybe I am being too cautious? But like I said it's not even like I'm not treating myself (the ice cream was delicious!).

I think I will just have to try adding nuts etc. I did look at some almonds the other day but the amount of calories per 100g scared me off! Perhaps I am just being TOO aware and cautious now.

Thanks for your advice!

You're welcome. I know seeing the calories/100g is a little scary, especially if you are sticking to 1200 calories but don't let it scare you away completely. I use trail mix to bump up my calories quite often - just be sure to weight it out because its dangerous if you eat out of the bag haha.

I don't know if you have started or not but exercise will help too. I net 1200 a day but eat 1700 calories so that 100g serving is a little less scary if I know I can eat 1700 calories.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    So just curious, how much ice cream do you have after your dinner??? (1/2 cup, 1 cup, ??) The reason I ask is, I have a pint of B&J a couple nights a week and that alone is 1120 calories and 2 cups of ice cream atleast to me is enough to satisfy me but I could easily eat more without blinking.... Do you weigh and measure out all your food???

Yes I weigh and measure out everything. I had 140 grams (not sure what that is in cups) of hazelnut gelato which was 308 cals. I guess I could've eaten more but I didn't feel the desire/hunger to.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    Hi

Exactly! Thank you!

Thanks for your advice!

You're welcome. I know seeing the calories/100g is a little scary, especially if you are sticking to 1200 calories but don't let it scare you away completely. I use trail mix to bump up my calories quite often - just be sure to weight it out because its dangerous if you eat out of the bag haha.

I don't know if you have started or not but exercise will help too. I net 1200 a day but eat 1700 calories so that 100g serving is a little less scary if I know I can eat 1700 calories.

I have started minimal exercise (just walking for 30 mins or so) but I will definitely start taking that into consideration when choosing things to eat. I don't want to start eating more of the "bad" stuff to just make up the calories so having healthier, calorie-dense options like nuts is probably the way to go I think.
  • michellet0
    michellet0 Posts: 4
    Options
    If your food intake is healthy and after consuming what you did you are satisfied why should you eat the calories leftover.

Counting calories is about learning what to eat and get a better idea of portion size. Since we tend to under estimate what we eat even when we are tracking calories you will feel better in the long run that you consumed a few less calories than you ate more than planned and gained weight.

As far as why you gained weight in the past, I would say that it is your business and no need to justify, what counts is today.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the idea that somebody with at least 70 lbs to lose suddenly "can't" eat 1200 calories...

You're making this way too complicated. You said you don't feel tired, you're getting in fruit and veg, eating "normal" portions, feeling fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your body needs more, and you run into symptoms of undernourishment, like fatigue, mood swings, overall malaise, trust me, you'll have no problem eating more.
  • lori_oz
    lori_oz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have always found it very easy to eat below 1200 calories (and much lower too). For a week. Or two, or sometimes three or more.

Then the ravenous hunger comes in when my body notices what's happening and adjusts to protect itself. Less inclination to move, more inclination to eat high calorie foods. And it's usually a significant swing back in the other direction and back to square one. It's the old sprint vs marathon chestnut..

Which is why I finally changed tack and reduced my deficit to something that is manageable in the long term - around 20% below TDEE.