Started aerobic exercise but not losing weight

Options
Hello All, I started my weight loss journey 1 month back. I am doing 45 mins of aerobic / cardio exercise everyday (the 3 mile walk at home by leslie sansone videos) and consuming around 1200 - 1300 calories everyday. But I am not losing weight. I weighed 190 lbs when I started in April and now after 1 month, I weigh 189 lbs. There has not been much weight loss. My clothes are very slightly loose. I am feeling very upset due to this. I feel my efforts are of no use. I am having PCOS as well.
I was expecting that I would be around 3-4 lbs lighter :( . Is there anything that I need to change in my exercise or food intake.

Replies

• lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    make sure you are weighing and measuring everything and drink lots and lots of water!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're not eating at a calorie deficit. The normal culprit is people eating far more than they think. DO you weigh all your food? All solids need to be weighed (cup measurements aren't accurate enough) and all liquids need to be measured. Then make sure you are using accurate entries from the database. Anything with generic ignore and never use any one else's entries. Once you get that sorted you then have an accurate baseline to work from
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Slow loss is frustrating but it is more likely to stay off if you make habits you can sustain after you reach your weight goal, that way you won't just quit and put it right back on. Really it is just great you are doing daily aerobics 45 mins and you lost a pound, and your clothes are more loose. It sounds like you are on the right track and maybe just hang in there and keep on with the habit. Because 1300 calories isn't a lot, it may be hard to maintain that as a lifelong habit. Search topics for sexypants because that thread will give you a little more support. The thread- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Give it time. The first month or so is often the hardest for many people. Keep being active, eating healthy, staying within your deficit, stay hydrated, and get enough rest and it will happen. Your body is still trying to maintain the set point it's used to. Change happens from within. Change the metabolism, gut bacteria, and set point, and you'll start to see it externally.

Weight loss is also not linear for most people. Some people lose that pound a weekend plan, but to many it's nothing for a week, then you drop a couple and then another dry spell, etc... It all evens out over the long run and as long as you look at or as a long range commitment, you'll be on your way to your goals.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    If you are not measuring your food portions carefully or making sure the database entries you are using are correct, then you are likely eating more than you think. Opening your food diary would be helpful for those who want to comment on it and make suggestions.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There is no way you're burning 1300 calories in 45 minutes of exercise.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're not eating at a calorie deficit. The normal culprit is people eating far more than they think. DO you weigh all your food? All solids need to be weighed (cup measurements aren't accurate enough) and all liquids need to be measured. Then make sure you are using accurate entries from the database. Anything with generic ignore and never use any one else's entries. Once you get that sorted you then have an accurate baseline to work from

I think I need a food scale based on what you wrote here too, lol...any recommendations for a good one? Thanks :smile:
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

Go to this topic it explains alot and why you needto eat at your BMR and why you are NOT going to lose weight just eating 1200 calories Total.
  • Jerseyj25
    Jerseyj25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    at 1300 kcal and 45 min of cardio a day you may not be meeting your BMR in which case your body will store the calories you do consume for energy opposed to burning them because it is not currently getting enough . The macros MFP gives you are not necessarily the most accurate. Id suggest cross referencing them to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then you can adjust accordingly under My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    at 1300 kcal and 45 min of cardio a day you may not be meeting your BMR in which case your body will store the calories you do consume for energy opposed to burning them because it is not currently getting enough . The macros MFP gives you are not necessarily the most accurate. Id suggest cross referencing them to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then you can adjust accordingly under My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom.

No they won't. It's bad for you to net too low, sure, but your body won't magically store the calories...
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    measure yourself and check your body fat.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I started my weight loss journey 1 month back. I am doing 45 mins of aerobic / cardio exercise everyday (the 3 mile walk at home by leslie sansone videos) and consuming around 1200 - 1300 calories everyday. But I am not losing weight. I weighed 190 lbs when I started in April and now after 1 month, I weigh 189 lbs. There has not been much weight loss. My clothes are very slightly loose. I am feeling very upset due to this. I feel my efforts are of no use. I am having PCOS as well.
    I was expecting that I would be around 3-4 lbs lighter :( . Is there anything that I need to change in my exercise or food intake.

Okay, you lost one pound in a month, your diary is closed, and, well, plainly and simply you are eating more then 1200 to 1300 calories a day. So, weigh your food(buy a scale) log your food and be honest. In the meantime, measure yourself(look it up, different places on your body) because you will have times where you may not lose weight but you'll still lose inches. And, your body isn't storing calories, you are eating close to your maintenance and you need to accurately log your food intake.
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I think I need a food scale based on what you wrote here too, lol...any recommendations for a good one? Thanks :smile:
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Just bought a great one that I really like. It's called ARTI Digital scale by Escali, very sleek (mine's in purple) and $27 in Canada. The company is based in Minnesota so assuming it would also be available in the US. It changes from ounces and pounds to grams, very easy to use. Only downside is that the top of it is glass, so might not be so good for people with little kids. YOu put the bowl or plate on, press a button to zero it again, then weigh your food item. Good luck!!
  • regankong
    regankong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you aren't taking breakfast, take it. By not taking it, you lower your metabolism and burn less calories while doing nothing
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    If you aren't taking breakfast, take it. By not taking it, you lower your metabolism and burn less calories while doing nothing

Skipping breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism. It would take not eating for 72 hours before there is any negative effect on metabolism at all. There is zero evidence that meal timing or frequency has any effect on weight loss. This is a myth that will not die. Eat your calories in the pattern that helps you stay within them, whether that being eating 6 small meals starting shortly after you get up, or 3 meals, or 2 eating only in a small window later in the day. If calories are the same, the results will be the same.
  • BumbleBean86
    BumbleBean86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go onto http://iifym.com/ and "calculators" and go to the Body Fat Calculator. Once you have this number, go onto the TDEE calculator and use the Katch-McCardle method . It will tell you what your BMR (calorie requirement if you were in a coma) and your TDEE (Maintenance weight Cals). You need to eat between these two numbers to lose weight.

If you really are eating 1200 cals, I doubt you are eating anywhere near enough and your body will not lose weight. Some people call it "Starvation mode".

Do not "eat back" your exercise calories unless you set the TDEE calculator to "sedentary" exercise.

Like others have said, keep track of everything you put in your mouth. Tea, coffee, and any snacks included. A handful of grapes could be 100 cals on their own which by the end of the week, really add up.

Take measurements every two weeks, first thing in the morning after your bathroom visit, before food! If you don't see any of the numbers (measurements or weight) move in the right direction, adjust your calorie intake, but dont go below BMR or above TDEE.

Good luck! :)
  • BumbleBean86
    Options
  • BumbleBean86
    Options

^ This!! Its does have an effect if you net to low!