I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Vis, you may possibly be able to modify your first post and add this info to the bottom. Beats answering the same question over and over
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

What exercise were you doing when you injured yourself, and how much weight was it out of your comfort zone?
    Deadlift of course. I can't believe I let it happen. I was doing my normal routine when a bunch of the high school kids who lift at the YMCA asked if I could pull 5 plates for 1. I could do 405 x 5 so I figured I was in the neighborhood of this. In retrospect I was more around 450 not 495. I let my ego take over and got peer pressured by teenager. It's embarrassing really. I'll be paying for it for quite some time too! This is one of the reasons I rarely 1rep maxes for anything. You can blow you shoulder out doing a bad bench press, yo can hurt your back or knees doing a bad squat. The potential for injury sores when you try to do a 1 rep max. If you do not have power lifting ambitions a 1rm is essentially just a number to brag with. It has little to do with your overall results. I know plenty of guys who are physically stronger then me but don't look as "big" or "cut" as me. Strength is only important when compared to yourself.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Deadlift of course. I can't believe I let it happen. I was doing my normal routine when a bunch of the high school kids who lift at the YMCA asked if I could pull 5 plates for 1. I could do 405 x 5 so I figured I was in the neighborhood of this. In retrospect I was more around 450 not 495. I let my ego take over and got peer pressured by teenager. It's embarrassing really. I'll be paying for it for quite some time too! This is one of the reasons I rarely 1rep maxes for anything. You can blow you shoulder out doing a bad bench press, yo can hurt your back or knees doing a bad squat. The potential for injury sores when you try to do a 1 rep max. If you do not have power lifting ambitions a 1rm is essentially just a number to brag with. It has little to do with your overall results. I know plenty of guys who are physically stronger then me but don't look as "big" or "cut" as me. Strength is only important when compared to yourself.

Thanks for sharing. Good points about ego and the 1 rep max.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Holy hell! You are amazing. Great answers on the first couple of pages too! Hopefully it will inspire some noobs to pick up the iron or even just stick to their weight loss plan. I sure wish I had started SL when I first started losing too, but maybe it was easier for me to add one thing at a time.

The steps I took over the last 2 years to get where I am now (~18% body fat, 100lb bench, etc):
    1. Started walking more and cut my calories and alcohol consumption
    2. Started StrongLifts 5x5
    3. Cut alcohol to weekends and special occasions only
    4. Did a bulk/cut cycle
    5. Started running 5ks
    6. Started doing martial arts (Krav maga)
    7. Now I'm adding in some new weightlifting accessories, looking forward to my next qualifier, looking forward to the spartan sprint, and looking forward to my next bulk Sept 1st.

Pizza, ice cream, candy, wine etc are all part of my diet.

Friend me if you aren't overwhelmed by a deluge of new friends :-p
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm really impressed with the level of success you acheived and how quickly!

I began working out (5 days a week) 6 weeks ago - and for the last 3 weeks I've added weight training - using the machines though (because I'm not sure of form with free weights - and suspect that I will be a work in progress for a really long time to come.

I do upper body 2x's a week, and lower body 2x's a week. with 2 rest days between each ... (example - upper body - Tues, Friday. Lower body Monday, Thursday) and with one hour of cardio - Elliptical on wednesday.

I feel really good - and am noticing some great strength gains every week, even though I'm still very much a weakling. I'm finding there's motivation just from raising my max # from 35lbs to 40lbs ... and, I look forward to every workout.

I gather that eventually there will be a plateau when I won't increase in strength and I worry about how that will affect my motivation level.

I currently practice a 5 set of 10 reps - and try to work at my max weight. I find that my weakest muscle groups are - shoulders and chest. and I struggle to build strength in both of these.

I'm only beginning to learn how to track food and I think I'm still making mistakes with it. I know I need protein - and I try to have either a protein shake or bar, pre-workout - but it sure is hard to be intaking food at 4:30 am...

This website has told me to take 2000 calories - and, for the most part I am able to keep to this number. I don't know if this is enough calories to build lean muscle though. I'm about 250 lbs (although I never weigh in so I'm just estimating this from how my clothes fit.)

I measured 2 weeks ago, measuring tape seems more honest about results that I'd want to track than a number... and a week later. I'd like to be fitter, toned, and strong - but, have not been thinking much about the cardio side of the equation since I've started using weights... Am I doing the wrong thing by focusing my workouts on weights and less on cardio?

The tape measure showed an inch difference in my waist, and neck - but an inch increase in my calves... I'm not arguing the leg growth if this means there's muscle building underneath ... will the fat above it dissapate with the increased metabolism of having more muscle? Or should I be concerned and find a way to add more cardio?

any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Rose
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting Halt weight Loss Myth: No. Weight lifting does not halt weight loss. That's kind a rumor. People think they start gaining muscle rapidly when they lift and it's why the scale stalls. That's not true at all. Gaining muscle is hard and takes time. If you stop losing weight, 9 times out of 10 it's because you are eating too much.

I agree with all of the facts states above, except for this one in the short term. Changing your exercise routine, particularly by starting weight lifting, will cause your muscles to retain water and glycogen causing a temporary bump in water weight (1-3lbs). This weight should disappear after 2 weeks or so, though there is a smaller spike the day after each lifting session (in the .5lb range) in my experience.

You have not gained muscle, and if the weight sticks around or if your measurements (a much better tool than the scale) are going up, then you are eating too much.
  • NatUnix
    NatUnix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is amazing :) you look really good
  • margaritaville94
    margaritaville94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi im new to the site and i have been working out for three weeks now and bout thr third week is when i always quit because i dont see any results and then i beat my self up about because i really need to lose the weight. you see i have a heart condition that has been with me since i was born.Do you have any advice as to what i can do to help me lose weight a little bit more just message me . thanks
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    WOW! Fantastic transformation..... Was gonna ask about loose skin but you answered already so I'll just say WTG! You look HOT!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Holy Wow!!!
    I mean, congratulations on your success :)
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    So I'm still not sure I understand, I started with 122 lbs to lose. I have 99 left. should I stay in a deficit of 1000 cal a day (which is what I need to loose 2 lbs per wk) and still start lifting, or should I add calories if I start lifting and if so, how many should I add. I don't really get the part about cutting vs. adding fat and muscle.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    To answer all the people asking about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. First lets start by saying fat will not be lost unless a caloric deficit is present (eat less then you burn in a day). Muscle generally isn't built without a caloric surplus (eat more then you burn in a day). For most people you simply will not be able to do both. Some select groups of people can gain a little bit of muscle while losing fat but it's not massive and its not for a long period of time. Newbies to weight lifting will do it for a short while, the obese can do it as well, but know that not a ton of mass will be gained. Teenagers can accomplish better then most people. People who take PEDs can do it as well.

All that being said, no matter what you goal is, YOU SHOULD LIFT! When in a caloric deficit the body must burn something for fuel. It can burn fat, glycogen, muscle, etc. If you lift weights and get in adequate protein, you give the body much less of a reason to burn muscle. This is why the obese should lift. When you are losing all the weight, some of it will be lean mass. If you lift, much less of it will be lean mass then if you don't. You will look better when the weight is off if you lifted throughout the process. Trust me on this.
    ok I think you answered me here. Awesome!! You have inspired me!
  • vismal
    Options
    Vis, you may possibly be able to modify your first post and add this info to the bottom. Beats answering the same question over and over
    Unfortunately I think they stop allowing you to modify a post after a certain amount of time because edit is no longer an option. Otherwise that would have been an excellent idea!
    Holy hell! You are amazing. Great answers on the first couple of pages too! Hopefully it will inspire some noobs to pick up the iron or even just stick to their weight loss plan. I sure wish I had started SL when I first started losing too, but maybe it was easier for me to add one thing at a time.

The steps I took over the last 2 years to get where I am now (~18% body fat, 100lb bench, etc):
    1. Started walking more and cut my calories and alcohol consumption
    2. Started StrongLifts 5x5
    3. Cut alcohol to weekends and special occasions only
    4. Did a bulk/cut cycle
    5. Started running 5ks
    6. Started doing martial arts (Krav maga)
    7. Now I'm adding in some new weightlifting accessories, looking forward to my next qualifier, looking forward to the spartan sprint, and looking forward to my next bulk Sept 1st.

Pizza, ice cream, candy, wine etc are all part of my diet.

Friend me if you aren't overwhelmed by a deluge of new friends :-p
    FR sent :)
    Hi there, I'm really impressed with the level of success you acheived and how quickly!

I began working out (5 days a week) 6 weeks ago - and for the last 3 weeks I've added weight training - using the machines though (because I'm not sure of form with free weights - and suspect that I will be a work in progress for a really long time to come.

I do upper body 2x's a week, and lower body 2x's a week. with 2 rest days between each ... (example - upper body - Tues, Friday. Lower body Monday, Thursday) and with one hour of cardio - Elliptical on wednesday.

I feel really good - and am noticing some great strength gains every week, even though I'm still very much a weakling. I'm finding there's motivation just from raising my max # from 35lbs to 40lbs ... and, I look forward to every workout.

I gather that eventually there will be a plateau when I won't increase in strength and I worry about how that will affect my motivation level.

I currently practice a 5 set of 10 reps - and try to work at my max weight. I find that my weakest muscle groups are - shoulders and chest. and I struggle to build strength in both of these.

I'm only beginning to learn how to track food and I think I'm still making mistakes with it. I know I need protein - and I try to have either a protein shake or bar, pre-workout - but it sure is hard to be intaking food at 4:30 am...

This website has told me to take 2000 calories - and, for the most part I am able to keep to this number. I don't know if this is enough calories to build lean muscle though. I'm about 250 lbs (although I never weigh in so I'm just estimating this from how my clothes fit.)

I measured 2 weeks ago, measuring tape seems more honest about results that I'd want to track than a number... and a week later. I'd like to be fitter, toned, and strong - but, have not been thinking much about the cardio side of the equation since I've started using weights... Am I doing the wrong thing by focusing my workouts on weights and less on cardio?

The tape measure showed an inch difference in my waist, and neck - but an inch increase in my calves... I'm not arguing the leg growth if this means there's muscle building underneath ... will the fat above it dissapate with the increased metabolism of having more muscle? Or should I be concerned and find a way to add more cardio?

any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Rose
    Because you are eating in a deficit you won't build much or any lean muscle (sometimes you can build a little bit when you first start lifting). I talk more about it in a post right below your original one. As far as protein, there is no reason to take it before you workout or immediately after either. Simply try and hit your protein goal by the end of the day. That's really all that matters. As a beginner lifter I would advise a 3 day total body rather then the upper lower split. Total body seems to give the best results to beginners. Tape measuring can be just as deceiving as the scale. If you don't measure at exactly the same point on your body as you did the previous measurement you can think you've gained or lost inches when you really didn't. I like to use every tool available to judge progress. Pictures are my number 1 tool for comparison, I also use measurements, the scale, how my clothes fit. Any one of those can be deceiving but if all them seem to indicate progress then it's unlikely you're being fooled.
  • vismal
    Options
    That is amazing :) you look really good
    Thank you! I appreciate it :)
    hi im new to the site and i have been working out for three weeks now and bout thr third week is when i always quit because i dont see any results and then i beat my self up about because i really need to lose the weight. you see i have a heart condition that has been with me since i was born.Do you have any advice as to what i can do to help me lose weight a little bit more just message me . thanks
    Weight loss is 90% diet. You can lose weight doing no exercise at all if you heart condition prevents it. Simply put if you eat less then your body burns in a day you will lose weight. Now exercising can help increase how much you burn but your day to day activities will account for quite a bit of your total calories burned. Doing weights can help ensure the weight you are losing is fat and not muscle but if your condition prevents that you can still lose weight and fat through diet alone. Track everything you eat every day and if you aren't losing weight after a few weeks, decrease your total calories.
    WOW! Fantastic transformation..... Was gonna ask about loose skin but you answered already so I'll just say WTG! You look HOT!
    Thank you! I creeped your profile and it looks like you've made some awesome progress as well! Keep up the good work!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    P4L
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Must be nice to be able to sit down and not have your pants digging into your fat stomach underneath.

I sometimes have that problem and I'm not even that fat lol
  • Frogtalk
    Frogtalk Posts: 10
    Options
    I've changed my workout focus recently from weightlifting and cardio, to mostly weightlifting and body weight exercises, but have trouble accurately adding calories expended into MFP for the weightlifting exercises/reps. How did you track this? I was thinking maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about tracking calories expended during workouts, but instead alter the MFP profile to something like moderately active. Right now I'm just kind of doing a guessing game. I seem to be losing inches still, and am satisfied/full with calories consumed, but I'm wanting a more organized, consistent way to track this. Thanks for all the great advice, and all the time you're taking answering our questions. Much appreciated.
    Excellent question. I was hoping someone would ask it. If you look at my log, you'll see I do not track exercise calories. This is because it is very hard to get an accurate reading on what you've burned. I don't care what fancy fit watch you have or what website you use, it's not going to be accurate enough. I never eat back calories burned in exercise. I simply pick a target calorie goal. I currently am cutting on 2500 calories. My workouts are pretty consistent. If I don't lose weight on the 2500 calories then I simply reduce the number. When you eat back exercise calories, your intake is all over the place and difficult to adjust. For me, my intake is the same every single day and very easy to adjust,
    So do you not put in any exercise at all? I'm curious, because my fitness class doesn't fit anything specific, I just took an average of what machines I used in cardio for the time period I'm on them.. added them together to get a decent estimate.
  • albenehoff12
    albenehoff12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your amazing!!! You inspire me:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!