5'7 need to lose 30 lbs, some questions

Options
hey everyone! i've been using MFP for a couple weeks now and like that it keeps me on track. i have a few questions:

any ladies start in the 165-185 range and lose 30 lbs? do you have pictures? did you get saggy skin... should i expect that? I'm 23-28 years old if that matters for saggy skin.

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    wait....how old are you?

we have pretty much the same stats. if you lose slowly it's better for your skin. A lot of it is genetic though. :/ but 30 pounds isn't too much so it shouldn't be that bad.
  • dingbat5
    dingbat5 Posts: 17
    Options
    i'm in my mid 20s :) i'm about 175-177 and i'd like to get to probably 145 ultimately, but my first goal is 160.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my last go around I was at 177 and i'm trying to get to 145 as well, I finally just broke the 160 barrier. It's hard, but if you stick with it and religiously count and weigh, weighing is SUPER important when you don't have a lot of weight to lose, then you will drop.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Lose slow and lift weights, but with only about 30lbs to lose and being relatively young, you probably won't have too much of an issue.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've gained and lost 35lb twice (and 50lb once!) with my pregnancies and my skin is still ok. Even on my stomach which obviously took the brunt of the stretching. I'm 34.
  • new_me_14
    new_me_14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Pretty much same goals, I'm 25, and 5'6 and SW 177, GW 140. I started MFP recently too, send a friend request if you want. :)
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started out at 155 and lost almost 30 lbs. I didn't have a problem with lose skin, but I am sure everyone is different. Just make sure to incorporate both heavy lifting with your cardio to help you maintain muscle mass while losing fat. It will help your appearance! Good luck!
  • dingbat5
    Options
    by heavy lifting... can i do this at home without a home gym setup? i don't really want to pay for a gym membership if i can help it. i have 10lb ankle weights (20lb combined), and a set of weights for curling. once i get better at squats i'll add weights to it.

the slim in 6 video does a cardio section as well as abs, pushups, arms (with resistance bands) and body weight squats. good enough? i'm not trying to be a body builder or anyhthing, just trying to prevent sag really.
  • sarasteny06
    sarasteny06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I lost 45lbs and now I am in that range wanting to lose 30lbs. I didn't experience any lose skin, but everyone is different. I never lifted anything, my exercise was all cardio and it worked for me, I've kept it off for years. Now that I have 30lb goal after loosing, I will incorporate lifting. I am also 5'7, don't worry about lose skin...I feel like that only happens when theres a drastic loss very quickly. Good Luck!
  • vmj748
    vmj748 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Similar goals! I'm 5'6 and at 171.8 at last weigh-in. Hoping to shed about 30 lbs but am focused more on transformation than the number on the scale. I'm working with a trainer and am in my 3rd week of heavy lifting with light cardio and I love it! I think I've only lost a half pound in the past three weeks but i've lost a little over 2% body fat! Unless you have a full set of free weights, you may have to fork out the cash for the gym membership-using light weights and high reps won't really acheive the look you're wanting. Send a friend request if you want :)
  • dingbat5
    Options
    awesome! ok, won't worry about the loose skin, then. eventually i might go to the gym but i think i need to prove to myself that i'm going to stick with it first. i also think i've got some learning to do before i can be efficient at the gym.

super excited, just ordered a body fat caliper online. :D
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 160, and about to turn 30, so I am in your boat as well. I'd love to get back down to what I weighed when I was 22 (120) but I'd settle for 140, even. I'm working hard, while trying not to give up all the things I love -- I think I'd go crazy if I did! -- and nothing seems to be working. I'm not giving up, though! Add me if you want!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP in june I was @ 178...but had lost about 20 before that.

I am about 1/2lb from maitenance @ 155...I have had a child as well...he is 20...

I do not have saggy skin normally...if I don't drink enough water it gets a bit saggy but it's an easy fix...drink water.

I do lift heavy 3x a week.
  • dingbat5
    Options
    i think 120 might be a stretch for me... i haven't been in 120s since i was in 6th grade (128 & 5'6 then)
    ihave a terrible case of stretch marks from my hips to my knees because of prednisone i think. i don't know why else i would have gotten them, i was 135lbs at the time and i've never had a child. i think if my skin were to sag, it'd be in the areas where i have the stretchmarks. but who knows, it might snap back just fine.

i've been working out for about 3 weeks now easing into it and can feel a difference already. i think i'll wait until may 25 for a weigh-in because that's 1 month of being on this website. good luck everyone :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I started 'this time' at 178-179. Previously had been in the 180's for sure and likely 190's.

I'm 39, 5' 5.5". I'm now down approximately 30 pounds since Christmas, at 148.5. No skin issues but still have a little bit more belly than I want, and spare butt/thigh material.

Pics just updated, one from September last year & one from a few weeks ago. I'm down another 5 or so pounds since then and feel like I'm making good progress.

hey everyone! i've been using MFP for a couple weeks now and like that it keeps me on track. i have a few questions:

any ladies start in the 165-185 range and lose 30 lbs? do you have pictures? did you get saggy skin... should i expect that? I'm 23-28 years old if that matters for saggy skin.
  • dingbat5
    Options
    wow you look great! i also think you carried your 180 a lot better than i'm carrying/i carried mine.

my heaviest was very similar. probably 185-190 back around 2009/2010. i didn't step on a scale then because i just didn't want to know.. and i told doctors as much when they weighed me during that time. i do know that i went from a size 15 or so to a size 11 or 12, depending on the brand of jeans, but i saw my weight shoot back up recently due to inactivity and bad food choices.