Bulletproof Coffee

Options
I am curious to hear testimonials. I have begun using 1 tbs of coconut oil in my coffee as a dairy replacement, but am not feeling this streak of energy. I cannot stomach the idea of putting butter in coffee..

Has anyone had any success incorporating bulletproof coffee into his/her life? Thank you.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I love bulletproof coffee. The unsalted butter adds a creaminess to the coffee. Remember that butter is just cream that has been whipped to the point of being solid.

I like coffee, coconut oil, unsalted butter, splash of coconut milk and vanilla all blended together.

I keeps me full feeling for hours on end.

Be sure and get some grass fed butter like Kerry Gold and make sure it is unsalted as the salted it yuck (I learned that the hard way).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you froth it right it tastes pretty good- I hated the idea- but it's not bad- tastes like a cappachino to me.

I couldn't be bothered to do it every day- it's too much work- even making the coffee in a blender bottle (which works) it's to much work and more *kitten* to clean.

I drink my coffee black- because it's easy. So yeah- nice idea- good way to get calories- and a nice bump to the day- but to much work for me.
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ooo paleopath, that actually sounds delicious with the vanilla. have you found that it energizes you in a unique way?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    ooo paleopath, that actually sounds delicious with the vanilla. have you found that it energizes you in a unique way?

My body is fat adapted......meaning my body is adapted to burning fat for energy and not carbs (sugar). So yes, it fills me up and keeps me going full energy until I have my salad in the afternoon.
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been making BPC for the last couple of days and I'm LOVING it... Gives me a boost of energy, keeps me full, tastes great, and has helped me budge the scale a bit!

Quick question - for someone that hasn't been on a keto diet (or any diet for that matter), would this coffee have the same effect on them? My husband wants to see what all the fuss is about, but he isn't following any kind of diet...
  • SteveyBrule
    SteveyBrule Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey sister,

I hate that it's called Bulletproof, that's the name the guy marketing his coffee as "micro-toxin free" gave it so he could sell beans at $18/lb.

I used any K-cups I have and do two of the largest cups mine brews into a big plastic cup, plop in 2 tbsp of Kerrygold organic, unsalted butter and a tbsp of coconut oil. To give it some heft, I put 1 scoop of EAS vanilla whey protein and mix it all with a hand blender. It tastes fantastic, the butter isn't conventional style most people are used to, it completely melts away and the coffee is seriously delicious. I'm not talking like the delicious people talk about when they make some kind of borderline gross 'healthy' dessert, I'm talking this actually tastes like a Starbucks latte.

Don't fear the butter, this stuff is helping me lose weight like crazy. I'm a 275 lb male and one travel mug of the stuff gets me from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. on days I work out, and straight through to dinner on days I don't lift.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try this stuff. But, alas, a few years ago I was getting sick, and the last thing I had before I got sick was a precious, delicious latte. Since then, I haven't been able to drink my beloved coffee without gagging.

Perhaps I'll try it without the coffee. Bulletproof tea? LOL.
  • SteveyBrule
    Options
    I've always wanted to try this stuff. But, alas, a few years ago I was getting sick, and the last thing I had before I got sick was a precious, delicious latte. Since then, I haven't been able to drink my beloved coffee without gagging.

Do it to it! That's where the idea for it came up, people across the world have been putting butter in tea for centuries.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Do it to it! That's where the idea for it came up, people across the world have been putting butter in tea for centuries.
    I'll give it a try!
  • SteveyBrule
    Options
    Just make sure you get unsalted, grass fed! I love Kerrygold and it's not crazy expensive.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hey sister,

I hate that it's called Bulletproof, that's the name the guy marketing his coffee as "micro-toxin free" gave it so he could sell beans at $18/lb.

I used any K-cups I have and do two of the largest cups mine brews into a big plastic cup, plop in 2 tbsp of Kerrygold organic, unsalted butter and a tbsp of coconut oil. To give it some heft, I put 1 scoop of EAS vanilla whey protein and mix it all with a hand blender. It tastes fantastic, the butter isn't conventional style most people are used to, it completely melts away and the coffee is seriously delicious. I'm not talking like the delicious people talk about when they make some kind of borderline gross 'healthy' dessert, I'm talking this actually tastes like a Starbucks latte.

Don't fear the butter, this stuff is helping me lose weight like crazy. I'm a 275 lb male and one travel mug of the stuff gets me from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. on days I work out, and straight through to dinner on days I don't lift.

I use k-cups too - I haven't tried it with the butter and protein, just the coconut oil. I didn't notice a difference, but I might give this recipe a try. I've been using a k-cup, 1/2 cup almond milk, 7 grams of coconut oil, and sometimes some sugar free flavored syrups - throw it in the nutribullet until frothy. Tastes yummy but I don't know that it's given me energy or kept me full. I think costco has the kerrygold butter - better put it on my list!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a bit more scientific analysis of it, this is a great article by Precision Nutrition;

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

The basic point is that experimentation is the only way to know if it will work for you, but there are some people who should be wary. Further, like anything else, it is not a magic bullet (yes, pun intended) for health, weight loss, etc.
  • SteveyBrule
    Options
    If you are looking for a bit more scientific analysis of it, this is a great article by Precision Nutrition;

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

The basic point is that experimentation is the only way to know if it will work for you, but there are some people who should be wary. Further, like anything else, it is not a magic bullet (yes, pun intended) for health, weight loss, etc.

I know I've only provided anecdotal evidence, and I'm rather sure it's the protein powder that's keeping me full. I'm just happy to have found a way to combine caffeine and protein so I don't feel bloated from drinking 2 cups of almond milk along with coffee.

I don't think anyone is claiming it's magic ; for me, however, it's a really effective way to cut calories and curb potential overeating. You really need to try it in conjunction with a very well-balanced diet.
  • tmaristela
    tmaristela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Bulletproof Coffee every morning for the past couple weeks. I was definitely a skeptic at first but now I'm a believer. It keeps me full and energized until 12pm (or later).

I work out at 5am, have my protein shake, get ready for work, and blend up my Bulletproof coffee for my commute to the office. I keep it in a stainless steel travel mug so it stays hot and I sip all morning.

It is a chore to make but it's become part of my routine so its not a big deal for me. I brew the coffee before I workout. I put 2T KerryGold Butter, 2T Organic Coconut Oil, 1T Vanilla, and 1T Agave Nectar into my blender. I add 2 cups hot coffee, blend, pour into my travel mug, and I'm out the door. Keep the coffee hot. It's pretty gross when it cools down.