Does anybody make good shoes anymore?

Options
Adw7677
Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
I had a pair of Brooks running shoes. They lasted 4 months.

I'm currently wearing Nike Dual Fusion Lite. I've had them less than 2 months and they're already drastically different than day 1 (and not in a good way).

I've had the same pair of Redhead sandals for over 4 years now, but they aren't for wogging.

Prior to buying Nike, I was in 6-7 stores and didn't find any comfortable shoes. I've tried every pair of Skechers and they don't fit my feet.

I weigh in the low 200s and have Flintstone feet. I have a high instep, wide flat feet, overpronate, and like to wiggle my toes. With good shoes, I'd walk (briskly, with random spurts of running) 20 miles/week.

I'm unemployed so I can't exactly spend $100 on shoes every other !@#! month. I haven't even made a payment on the Nikes yet. I'll probably buy from Roadrunner since they have a 90 day wear 'em warranty, but I'm not sure what brand to start with.

What would you suggest?

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a running store and have them do a gait analysis on you. They look at everything and they will suggest what the best shoes are for you. And they should last you more the a couple of months that's for sure. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Get professionally fit for your next pair and work on your running form. Running shoes are generally made to last hundreds of miles. If you're wearing them out that fast either they do not fit or your form is creating undue wear.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What is the problem with them? What do you mean they only lasted 4 months?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    check out New Balance. i overpronate, have short toes and wide flat feet and wiggly toes. they're the only sneaker i can wear.
  • cathylaine712
    Options
    I love Saucony's.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sketchers?Ha Ha ha.

As others said..dont ask around or on a message board about shoes. YOu ask 10 people, you wlll get 10 diff options.

Most brands make shoes for all kidns of runners gait/over/under pronators.

Got to a running specialy store. Not a finish line or the box stores, an actual running specialy shop.

They will check your gait and suggest models for you.

Try as many on as you want. My fav store allows me to go run around the building. Whenyo ustart to narrow it down to the one you like, put one model on the right, another on the left and you get a step by step comparision once you start choosing between the ones you like.

I personally enjoy the LUnar series with NIke and use the LUnarfly and glide, but have also enjoyed asics and new balance in the past. Every one is diff..find YOUR shoe....
  • johnnyhuff790
    Options
    I have had the same problem...I have bought cheaper shoes, but they just wear out or make the problem worse. I have tried Saucony, NB, Nike...they all wear out too soon and are not the right shoes for my feet. Save up the money, I know it sucks, and go to a running shop and by them. Use them for running ONLY...buy something cheap for everything else. That is the only advice that is going to work for you unfortunately.
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Try vibram?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Sketchers?Ha Ha ha.

What brand do you think the man who won the 2014 Boston Marathon wears? They may not be the right fit for you but they may be for the OP or somebody else (like Meb).

There is a reason why people need to get a fitting done and go from there and not just blindly go to, or discount, a brand.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've got a paid of Asics Kayano 16 for road shoes.
    They fell apart VERY quickly at the back of the heel.
    However, used with running socks, I've continued using them and wouldn't be surprised if I'm coming up on a couple of thousand miles - haven't calculated, but must be well over 1000. Apart from the back they don't seem TOO bad - though probably could do with replacement in reality.

Remember that a lot of moddern 'performance' running shoes are made to be light weight. If you're buying light weight sports stuff there's going to be some pay off in wear generally.

For instance competition off road motorcycles will likely be at least a quarter less weight than a trail motorcycle designed for regular daily use. However the service intervals will be listed in hours rather than miles! Pay off for lighter and better performing equipment is replacing stuff more often.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Saucony and New Balance run wider. I don't understand how you have a high instep but flat feet? You can do a video chat at Roadrunner and they will help you pick a shoe. They do a pretty good job and have a good return policy.

The Saucony Guide 7's might work for you. They hold up really well. If you're worried about longevity don't get the super lightweight shoes. They're made from speed and in my experience don't last as long. My running shoes last anywhere from 300 to 500 miles.
  • Adw7677
    Options
    I bought the Brooks at a running store. They did a running analysis and recommended those and a pair of Saucony. I originally went with Saucony because it had more cushion, but they caused shin splints. I returned those and got the Brooks, which were good for awhile. One day I went walking all over town, part of which was on the side of a hill (it was a scavenger hunt thing). After that, the shoes seemed to have shifted and it always felt like I was walking on the side of the hill.

My current pair of Nikes have completely flattened out on the inside. My metatarsal heads hurt pretty bad, and my knee and lower back pain has returned.

It did occur to me that, perhaps, all the lightweight running shoes are just not as durable as "regular" sneakers.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not sure about athletic shoes, but you just described my feet to a T --- and I love Dansko! My entire shoe collection is now Dansko, and I'm likewise looking for a comfortable athletic shoe, so will keep an eye on this thread.

But if you need shoes for ANY other purpose, check out Dansko, especially nice for high arches/instep. You can get killer deals on them on Sierra Trading Post, eBay, Amazon and 6pm ($50-60 a pair, new).

ETA: Someone above mentioned New Balance, which is what I found to be the "lesser evil" so far ... but my feet do start tingling in them after about 1/2 hour of intense activity, so don't know if that's just me or the shoe. Otherwise, I could vouch for them ...
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, you said a pair last 4 months? Based on your mileage, you're getting 350 miles out of a pair. That's more than some and less than others, but does not seem unusual at all to me.
  • Adw7677
    Options
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, you said a pair last 4 months? Based on your mileage, you're getting 350 miles out of a pair. That's more than some and less than others, but does not seem unusual at all to me.

When I was using the Brooks shoes, I didn't walk as much. I had logged about 100 miles during the 4 months.

I'm glad you mentioned it, though, because I hadn't realized that 350 miles *would* take only 4 months. I might have to re-think my goals to fit my budget. :D
  • Mari726
    Mari726 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Nike dual fusion and they have a small hole in the toe. Disgusted to say the least. They were expensive and only lasted about 4 months, they are so comfortable, though. Unfortunately, I won't buy them again. I am not even a runner. I work in a hospital.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely go get fitted at a running shoe store! I love the asics kayano line! I have had models 17, 18 and 19. They are for over pronation and have toe wiggle room:). Good luck in your search!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Huge and vocal fan of brooks! I know everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.

I'm on my third pair of brooks...same style, etc.
  • Jesygfbaker
    Options
    Don't know about which brands- even within decent brands, different styles and materials wear very differently. I'm still trying to figure this one out myself, so will take some of the advice given! However, I have found that arch supporting insoles are a life saver for me (I have high arches), and creative lacing techniques (that they can show you at the running store) can really change how your shoes feel on your instep (mine also very high). Best of luck! And don't forget to stretch your shins for shin splints- it can help a lot!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    New Balance has treated me extremely well over the years.