Zumba

Options
I was wondering how to get the calories burned during an hour long session of Zumba classes if anyone knows please reply Thanks in advance

Replies

• nicoleben
    Options
    I have the zumba dvds and attend a class to get my cardio in. Zumba/ per hour can be from 500-900 calories depending on how much you get into it. etc.. Either way, you still sweat!
  • molina76853
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have been doing the zumba basic 20 minute express workout and can't figure it out so I just enter it as dancing.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I attend zumba as well - I use the dance category - modern or twist I think it is....the estimate it gives is probably lower than the class really is, but it is close.....
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love zumba. My body bugg tells me that I burned 274 total calories during my 1 hr zumba session last week. I'm 5'3" and weigh 147 pounds. I normally would burn about 60 calories per hour, for a net of 214 exercise calories. Your burn will vary depending on height, weight, and fitness level. Ooh, did I mention, I'm old besides - 55! Keep on moving.
  • emichan21
    emichan21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM watch during my Zumba class and I burn 900-1200 calories per class. Everyone is different. You would really need your own HRM to determine how much you are burning.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with emichan21. By using an HRM you'll know for sure. I got one just for that purpose. I'm not up as high as that but right now I'm between 555 & 680 calories. I've only been doing it since mid Nov. The more you work it the more you burn. Good luck!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I took my very first Zumba class tonight and my HRM said I burned 590 calories in an hour.
  • Lelore
    Lelore Posts: 2
    Options
    I just use the low end of the calorie burn estimate 500 calories for 60 minutes. So I set the exercise up to burn 500 calories per hour. I usually do 45 minutes (I play the Zumba Wii game). So I plug in 45 minutes. It comes out to around 330 calories.

I hope I'm not cheating. I've been doing Zumba for a while so I get into it and sweat a lot.

Hope that helps!
    :happy:
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a exercise i need to try
  • emichan21
    Options
    If you are Zumba "shy" definitely check out the Wii Zumba! I am using it for the second day (I am a huge Zumba class fan) and I love the Wii version! Tons of fun and a good way to brush up and learn the dance steps at home.
  • nicoleben
    Options
    I read other people saying they burn almost 1000 cals per class, which if you are into it, you will definately burn! How amazing! :)
  • cntrymama2x
    Options
    I plan to start my Zumba (in-home) session tonight! A friend of mine gave me the DVD for Christmas & I told my girls this morning that we were going to ZUMBA tonight! They laughed @ me. I was looking yesterday to see how many calories it burned but I couldn't find anything. Thanks! & wish me luck!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    For those of you wearing a HRM during zumba-what HRM are you using? (brand etc) I started zumba classes last night and it was a killer workout for a 45min class. I'd like to track my calories burned more accurately too.
  • emichan21
    Options
    I use the Bowflex strapLESS heart rate monitor watch. My SIL loves the Mio version. We both use them for our Zumba classes.