When you see people that succeeded weightloss.....

Options
And then look at your belly or whatever, can you imagine that one day you can be fit too?

Because i see all these great story and weighloss photos so i know it is possible but atm i cant imagine it will work for me. It will probably work for me too if i keep working at it but its just that feeling.

Don't know if i explained my feeling right in English but can anyone relate to that feeling?

Replies

• DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It can work for anyone who works at it. No, I didn't think I'd lose as much weight as I have. The reason it has happened is that I've exchanged bad habits for good habits. If you do the things you need to do, day after day, week after week, month after month, you can get fit, too. Why not you?
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    yes I can and no I can't see it in myself. I lost about 110 lbs a few years ago and kept it off. I'm significantly smaller than I was the rest of my life and I still don't feel like a success.

I often feel like even though I'd like to lose a few more inches and maybe 10 pounds that I'm the size of a house and will always be the fat girl.

But in reality - I think deep down I know that I can have that look and it will just take a little more dedication and the right solution for me. Losing 110 pounds was easy. Losing 10....is the hardest damn thing I've ever done in my life and I still may not be happy wtih the end result.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I started here some 5+ years ago, my entire life was different. I remember calculating the numbers and thinking WHAT? I have to lose 50 pounds??? How did this happen? How will I ever lose that amount of weight?

1 pound at a time.

I couldn't walk to the corner without being winded. How could I ever walk 3 miles? 1 block at a time. Seriously, I walked to the end of my street. Then the next day a block further, until I was walking 3 miles a night.

You CAN do this. If it makes it easier, do like me and set small goals for yourself. Shoot, the first week my only goal was to log every morsel. Didn't change anything.
    2nd week, all I did was eliminate carry out food!!
    Then I set a goal to add a veggie, walk a block, do 20 minutes on the treadmill, eat an apple, drink more water. All of this a week at a time. Before I knew it I stepped on the scale and I had lost 5 lbs!

42 pounds later I look down and my tummy is pretty much gone!

Good luck!!
  • hawksea12
    hawksea12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aspire to be "that" guy in the photo that other people look to for inspiration. And get YOUR inspiration from each pound lost. Don't try to look too far ahead. If other people can do it, you can too. It's just one pound at at time, buddy. Each pound is one step that get's you to your goal.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    OK - I don't want to be the Debbie Downer to the post so let me add some encouragement.

While I'm not sure how I'll look after 10 pounds are gone I can tell you the following:

The feeling of being able to run 26.2 miles is far greater than the number on a scale. The first day, I couldn't run more than 30 seconds. I now complete marathons and have a half marathon PR of 1:45 which is an 8:01 pace - and should be coming down.

The feeling of being able to wear normal size clothes is phenomenal

The feeling of being able to lift heavier weights and pick up and run with my 80 lb daughter is liberating. I couldn't have done that before

The feeling of knowing I'm healthier and should theoretically live longer now is wonderful

My skin cleared up, I sleep better now, I'm happier now,a nd at least I can maintain with seemingly no effort. I do still go tot eh gym 6 days a week and work my patooty off but I love every second of my lifestyle. Just because I'm unsure of the final result and uneasy with my body right now does NOT mean it hasn't been worht it
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    eh - I am not sure if I understand exactly, so forgive me if not.

But I think it has a lot to do with your expectations. I think mine were (and still are) a bit low. After being well over 200 lb as a woman throughout my mid to late teens all the way up to my early thirties (when I even hit 300 lb), I never thought I would be in size 12 skinny jeans ever in my life, nor did I think I'd ever be able to take full length photos on a hiking trip and share them with my facebook friends and not want to die of humiliation. My original "dream goal weight" was 220. I weigh 184 now. So I am STOKED ;-) I have exceeded my own expectations and I'm not even finished.

For some people - they used to have rockin' bods, they were skinny 'til they had kids or started an office job, and/or they have seen some photos of "after" success that were mind blowingly perfect and gorgeous, and that's what they're going for. NOTHING wrong with that, please understand. For a lot of 'em that is the exact kind of motivation that WILL make them reach those seemingly lofty goals!! But for others, I think it's a source of disappointment. Not everyone will have their ideal figure when they get to their goal weight, for example. Some people will have loose skin that would require surgery to lose. Others have a different body type than they would prefer.
  • ChaoticClayton
    Options
    Easily I think the hardest part about losing weight is not losing the weight, it's losing the confidence crushing "fat girl" mentality that a lot of females have.
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    I am one of those "anything someone can do I can do better" people and seeing the pictures I feel motivated!
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I totaly get that.

I remember when i was also thinking "Woah, no idea how they did it but there is no way i can do it too, I need to drop so much weight, jesus tapdancing christ, I can't do it".
    I was actualy looking for the reasons why I shouldnt .
    Don't loose weight cos you'd get loose skin, you will look older, you will...
    Bull****.
    Set small goals, for reals.
    Small steps on the road to ultimate goal.
    And make that goal to be healthy, not super fit and geting *****es ;)
    Just healthy and feeling good with yourself.

I actualy , after droping to 66-68 kg went through major madness with changing jobs, too much partying, new boyfriend who sort of started shaping me up into wife material with making him dinners and whatnot ..
    After few months I woke up 10 kg heavier. Still feeling good with myself but just in size bigger pants. And let me tell you:

Once you learn that YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT the +10kg is no big deal.

We just recently kind of had moment when we both stood infront of the mirror prepairing for a party and we went like "oh, we have a belly now". Aparently I'm the only female who didn't flip her **** when he verbalized the dreadfull "you've put on some weight darling" to her. And I truly believe that it's because I managed to drop 50kg once, what is 10kg compared to that?

So, 'cos am rambling:
    Small steps.
    Ultimate goal of being HEALTHYand content with yourself.
    The succes is in THE ROAD not the destination , you learn to like yerself along the way and get some substantial distance to the whole "perfect body" hype.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Easily I think the hardest part about losing weight is not losing the weight, it's losing the confidence crushing "fat girl" mentality that a lot of females have.

Agree:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    And then look at your belly or whatever, can you imagine that one day you can be fit too?

Because i see all these great story and weighloss photos so i know it is possible but atm i cant imagine it will work for me. It will probably work for me too if i keep working at it but its just that feeling.

Don't know if i explained my feeling right in English but can anyone relate to that feeling?

I remember seeing a post in the success form...and saw one woman in particular and I was amazed at her progress. I asked her how long and she said 7 months...

I couldn't imagine me being there in 7 months...even if I did what she did...deficit and lifting

so Yes I can empathize with you..but guess what I am where she was (for what I commented on) ....in 7 months...it gives me more motivation to know I can do it.

You might not be in the same boat exactly but you will be further ahead than you were.