Husband needs help

Options
13»

Replies

• gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Echoing what has been said, he has good weight loss record, and if he continues, he will continue to lose weight.

Full stop.

He needs to continue for months on end, not a few weeks. Reinforce the thought that this is a long-term change that will have great payoffs, not a short-term burst of weight loss then maintain.

Like was said, he didn't gain it in a month, so he won't lose it in a month either :)
  • Ashleystrickland87
    Ashleystrickland87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    okay ive read all the comments. and thank you everyone!
    IM not discouraged for him. Ive told him its normal and he needs to just keep going. A loss is a Loss. I guess hes thinking "biggest Loser" drops... He just thinks that a guy his size should be able to drop a lot more than 3 pounds in 2 weeks. *shrug*
    Ive been doing My own weight loss journey since Feb 2013, and there was times I gained, and lost only 1 pound. Most of my losses has been 1-3 pounds here and there. And Im cool with that. I went from 155 to now 127 which is cool for me.

Ive tried convincing him to join MFP in order to get a better understanding of how many Calories he needs to take in and everything else. He doesn't want too. SO maybe I should do it behind his back?! LOl just kidding obv.

I've told him hes possibly gaining muscle, even just in his legs from doing the Treadmill and Bike. And hes also been doing arm machines, so I've told him hes gaining muscle from those things. But he doesn't believe me. Ugh hes frustrating sometimes.

Its hard for him to eat normally most times because he drives trains. And on call pretty well 24/7.. So for example he went to work last night/this morning at 3am... And it takes 12 hours to get to his destination. And then he has to sleep, and he does his workout at he hotel. but then he will probably be awake all night again. So we do pack him a good lunch. Quinoa cereal, yogurt, granola, and a whole slew of other things. Last night he brought some left over chicken fajitas that I cooked up (no tortilla)...

I wasnt really asking for why he didnt lose as muhc weight, but more what I could say to him?!
    Maybe I should buy him a gift. he always bought me stuff when I was feeling discouraged.
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    Yea, I understand what you mean. But my friend was trying to lose weight since she was a kid, and she is convinced that eating healthy foods is the only way. So, she seemed to be stuck on 200 pounds for ages. I just think he should see a doctor, just to make sure everything's fine. Honestly, I cannot understand how a person may weigh so much, despite a generally healthy lifestyle - it could be a more serious issue.

What are you talking about? Who said he had a "generally healthy lifestyle". He has been at this for four weeks, and in that time has lost 19lb. How is that similar to your friend?
    i was talking about my friend, who leads a generally healthy lifestyle.
    As for this person, I just thought since he is stuck and not losing weight, maybe he needs to see a doc.
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    okay ive read all the comments. and thank you everyone!
    IM not discouraged for him. Ive told him its normal and he needs to just keep going. A loss is a Loss. I guess hes thinking "biggest Loser" drops... He just thinks that a guy his size should be able to drop a lot more than 3 pounds in 2 weeks. *shrug*
    Ive been doing My own weight loss journey since Feb 2013, and there was times I gained, and lost only 1 pound. Most of my losses has been 1-3 pounds here and there. And Im cool with that. I went from 155 to now 127 which is cool for me.

Ive tried convincing him to join MFP in order to get a better understanding of how many Calories he needs to take in and everything else. He doesn't want too. SO maybe I should do it behind his back?! LOl just kidding obv.

I've told him hes possibly gaining muscle, even just in his legs from doing the Treadmill and Bike. And hes also been doing arm machines, so I've told him hes gaining muscle from those things. But he doesn't believe me. Ugh hes frustrating sometimes.

Its hard for him to eat normally most times because he drives trains. And on call pretty well 24/7.. So for example he went to work last night/this morning at 3am... And it takes 12 hours to get to his destination. And then he has to sleep, and he does his workout at he hotel. but then he will probably be awake all night again. So we do pack him a good lunch. Quinoa cereal, yogurt, granola, and a whole slew of other things. Last night he brought some left over chicken fajitas that I cooked up (no tortilla)...

I wasnt really asking for why he didnt lose as muhc weight, but more what I could say to him?!
    Maybe I should buy him a gift. he always bought me stuff when I was feeling discouraged.

Buy him a t-shirt with Grumpy Cat on it. He'll love it
    c70b38f3aed9d4820385269e535a3de9.jpg
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've told him hes possibly gaining muscle, even just in his legs from doing the Treadmill and Bike. And hes also been doing arm machines, so I've told him hes gaining muscle from those things. But he doesn't believe me.

He's right not to believe you because you're wrong. You cannot gain muscle when eating at a deficit.

Just be there for him and if he can't be bothered to join MFP to gain his own knowledge on the matter and real weight-loss as opposed to fake TV shows then that's his problem really. Just be there for him and educate him but make sure you're right in what you're telling him.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yea, I understand what you mean. But my friend was trying to lose weight since she was a kid, and she is convinced that eating healthy foods is the only way. So, she seemed to be stuck on 200 pounds for ages. I just think he should see a doctor, just to make sure everything's fine. Honestly, I cannot understand how a person may weigh so much, despite a generally healthy lifestyle - it could be a more serious issue.

What are you talking about? Who said he had a "generally healthy lifestyle". He has been at this for four weeks, and in that time has lost 19lb. How is that similar to your friend?
    i was talking about my friend, who leads a generally healthy lifestyle.
    As for this person, I just thought since he is stuck and not losing weight, maybe he needs to see a doc.

But he is losing weight......as mentioned several times on this thread.

Weight. Loss. Is. Not. Linear.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    He's not interested in joining MFP, which is fine. Does he do any tracking? He might not always see the scale dropping but he might take comfort in seeing his health improve in other areas: a faster run time, a longer plank time, heavier weights, etc. Body measurements would also be a good thing to track (or blood pressure if that's a worry).

If he is on the move a lot, apps would probably be a good option for him whether it's MFP, Fitocracy, or something else entirely.
  • Ashleystrickland87
    Ashleystrickland87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    He's not interested in joining MFP, which is fine. Does he do any tracking? He might not always see the scale dropping but he might take comfort in seeing his health improve in other areas: a faster run time, a longer plank time, heavier weights, etc. Body measurements would also be a good thing to track (or blood pressure if that's a worry).

If he is on the move a lot, apps would probably be a good option for him whether it's MFP, Fitocracy, or something else entirely.

We do measurements every two weeks along with the weigh in.
    But he also tracks his calories burned/speed/distance/ whatever else on the treadmill and he started planking and keeping track of his times for that.
  • HaelaBaer
    HaelaBaer Posts: 44
    Options
    Tell him more protein and healthy fats! Seriously, does he have any time to read the Internet? I know some good sites my husband uses, and he's doing well. A plateau is expected. If you want to talk web sites, shoot me a note.