TDEE and exercise question

Options
After reviewing Scooby's TDEE tracker, I have decided to start doing TDEE over the MFP recommendations. So my big question is that I calculated my numbers based on:
1-3 hours of moderate exercise a week TDEE 2301 TDEE -20% 1841
3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week TDEE 2594 TDEE -20% 2075

Would a diet between 1840 and 2100 calories still conceivably give me reliable weight loss? It doesn't have to be more than 1/4 a week, because this is going to be a long slow process for me.

My primary form of exercise is CrossFit 5 times a week and I have just started the C25K program again. Due to CrossFit being so all over the charts in terms of exercise intensity and duration, I didn't want to set any specific numbers to the hours or the intensity.

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I know that many people who use TDEE method have a generally the same calorie burns every week, which is why I don't use it. However, I would say to do the TDEE for the 3-5 hours per week and just eat less on the weeks that you do not burn as much (probably closer to the 1800) and you should see some results.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    After reviewing Scooby's TDEE tracker, I have decided to start doing TDEE over the MFP recommendations. So my big question is that I calculated my numbers based on:

Would a diet between 1840 and 2100 calories still conceivably give me reliable weight loss? It doesn't have to be more than 1/4 a week, because this is going to be a long slow process for me.

My primary form of exercise is CrossFit 5 times a week and I have just started the C25K program again. Due to CrossFit being so all over the charts in terms of exercise intensity and duration, I didn't want to set any specific numbers to the hours or the intensity.

Well if you want to just straight up believe the calculator then eating 2075 calories per day would result in a 500 calorie daily deficit which would be 1 pound lost per week which is more aggressive than the 1/4 pound a week you mentioned. Not sure why you would drop the calories even lower. Also with the TDEE method you eat roughly the same amount each day you don't need to drop your calorie intake on days you don't exercise. Fueling exercise is not just eating the same day you exercise, its eating enough and regularly to fuel both the exercise and the recovery.

If the numbers are right then 2100 cals a day would result in plenty of deficit for your weight loss goals.

Of course that is an "if" and you might have to fudge this based on experience over time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Would a diet between 1840 and 2100 calories still conceivably give me reliable weight loss?

If your TDEE is really 2301 to 2594 then of course you would...

Bear in mind that these calculators are just tools to help you determine a good starting point...they aren't gospel. Ultimately, you have to make the necessary adjustments as per real world results..

Also bear in mind that for the TDEE method to work reliably you have to be pretty consistent with what you are doing.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Would a diet between 1840 and 2100 calories still conceivably give me reliable weight loss?

If your TDEE is really 2301 to 2594 then of course you would...

Bear in mind that these calculators are just tools to help you determine a good starting point...they aren't gospel. Ultimately, you have to make the necessary adjustments as per real world results..

Also bear in mind that for the TDEE method to work reliably you have to be pretty consistent with what you are doing.

I plan on adjusting after a few weeks, but was looking for some guidance. Thanks for your response.
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could just purchase a Garmin Vivofit, Polar Loop or Fitbit, because they track your TDEE among other things. You can check your wristband daily to get your exact TDEE readout. If you have a heart rate monitor, it does the same thing. You'd just need to wear it all day.

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you have a heart rate monitor, it does the same thing. You'd just need to wear it all day.

No, it won't. HRM's only work for steady state cardio.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tried tdee for 3 months and ended up gaining a little! So I was obviously not doing it right. I started back doing MFP calculations and am losing again. For ME, this suits me better and is more accurate.