I won two PT sessions at a gym I have never been to before..

Options
sk_pirate
sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
And I am scared sh!tless.

Hi, I'm sk_pirate, and I am a lazy gymophobe.

I need to move more and eat better. I need to find motivation as I am getting married next June. I'm 28, 5'7 with a fair bit to lose.

When I was first gifted with these personal trainer sessions, I thought "COOL! Let's get this going!" now I am thinking about hiding under a rock until they expire. I don't know what to expect I think, is what is holding me back.

My relationships with gyms are not the greatest. I fumble with the machines, pretending to know what I am doing, until I figure them out enough to use them. Thing is, I never know if I am getting the MOST out of the machines, so I get sad and leave the gym and never go back.

So depressing that I won't even give it a chance, eh?

I used to be much fitter, exercised regularly, ate...ehm...semi decent. I got too comfortable. Now I feel like I need to get uncomfortable to change, but I don't know how or where to start. I know something as simple as walking can help. I guess I can ask my PT all this, but I am really shaking in my boots at the thought of someone showing me a different way. I'm trying not to think of PT's as monsters that will rip my bum to shreds, but I can't get comfortable with being in a different situation.

Has anyone else been terrified of PT's, but sucked it up and went anyways? Did you like or not like the experience?

Thanks in advance, and again I'm sorry this is all over the place. I don't post on the forums much. I'm more of a lurker. :glasses:

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I remember working with someone once- and it was intimidating.

But you get over that by just showing up and doing the thing. People typically don't die horrible deaths in sweaty puddles- :D

besides- it's bad for business to kill people so badly they don't want to come back!!!

I would ask for some strength training guidance- work on the cable machines and with a barbell. Machines have their place- but the most bang for your buck you're going to get out of the PT sessions is learning proper form for bench, squat and dead lift.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just do it...(sorry, Nike) Talk to the gym first, maybe they have a range of personal trainers - or is this certificate for one PT in particular? Tell them you are a newbie to the machines and you want someone who can be 'gentle' lol. You want an orientation with the trainer doing an in-depth interview to find out your likes/dislikes, best times for your exercise, what your goals are, etc. and set up a beginning plan for you. Depending on the certificate, you could have them work one-on-one for the first couple of times to make sure you get it right, then work on your own for your training period, then check in again with them one-on-one in 6-8 weeks to change it up a bit. When you get used to the training plan, THEN you want someone to "rip your bum..."
    You'll be happier if you go for it. Sometimes the anticipation of what it may be like is worse than the reality. :flowerforyou:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My relationships with gyms are not the greatest. I fumble with the machines, pretending to know what I am doing, until I figure them out enough to use them. Thing is, I never know if I am getting the MOST out of the machines, so I get sad and leave the gym and never go back.

Well then, this is an awesome gift. Tell him (or her) you want to know how to use the machines. Bam!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wasn't terrified, but I guess I felt I needed to be a bit fit before going to one. I did a bit of training for a 5km, and somewhere along the way, just put my name down for one in my gym. The decision was a bit impetuous.

That was a little over a year ago.

I love meeting him. He doesn't guarantee results - it's me that makes the results. I spend on him roughly what I would in the past have spend on weight watchers. But my health is so much better. He made suggestions to be my diet that I would never have thought of, my hormones normalised, I'm fitter, I'm stronger and a bit lighter.

But I did all of this. Meeting him helps motivate me. He's give me the skills to bench press, squat, dead lift. But I'm the one that's put on my runners, put on my big girl panties and gone to the gym.

I'm lucky, I lucked out in finding someone who's mellow, his personality suits mine. He'll listen to me enough to push me, but I can't stand that sergeant major stuff. But that was luck that I found someone that suits me.

Only way you'll know if it suits you is go and do it. No what ifs, no procrastination, just do it. I've been a member of lots of gyms, this is the first time I've worked out regularly.
  • amannduhh
    amannduhh Posts: 8
    Options
    I think I've had a total of 5 trainers total. Out of the 5, i clicked well with 3 of them. Once we got to know each other you're not as scared. It definitely is intimidating if you're brand new to it but i like having one. They are able to help you on a personal level, getting to know your body and its capabilities. You get to learn to use the machines properly so you feel confident using it by yourself :)

Hope you enjoy it more than being scared.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    People typically don't die horrible deaths in sweaty puddles- :D

besides- it's bad for business to kill people so badly they don't want to come back!!!

Nice :laugh:

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone!!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I normally don't recommend personal trainers BUT, you are definitely the exception. They're great for gymophobes as you call it. It really helps people in your situation to have an appointment, it will help you show up and keep you accountable on days where you don't have a session. You won't be expected to know anything and they will show exactly what to do and how/when to do it. Hopefully you get someone you click with. Good luck.