Advice from fellow runners

Options
I use a HR monitor (with chest strap and all) that seems to be very accurate in telling me how many calories I burn. I am training for a half marathon so about once a week I do a long distance run, which is usually between 8-12 miles. Of course, running that much I burn a significant amount of calories. For example, last time I ran 11 miles I burned nearly 1300 calories. So of course, myfitnesspal is giving me a lot more calories to be able to eat. Do you guys eat all of those calories back? It seems pretty challenging to eat back 1300 calories on top of my regular calories! But I want to ensure I'm not putting my body into starvation mode, as I have been guilty of doing that before. I usually do eat back my exercise calories when I'm not doing such long runs, usually 300-500 calories. Is this what everyone else does as well?
I also have my calorie level set to have me lose 1 pound a week which gives me 1420 a day before exercise. I am 5'2 and weigh 144 pounds so I feel that's probably more appropriate than having it set to lose 2 or more pounds a week since I don't have a real large amount of weight to lose. What do you guys think?

Replies

• sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    In short, Yes I would eat those calories back. Especially since you have MFP set at a calorie deficit. However, you may find it easier to balance your calories over the week rather than eating 1300 more calories one day vs 500 more the next. I consume about 3000 calories a day (160 lb, male) and maintain weight pretty solidly. I have about three 1 hour workouts a week and 2 workouts in excess of 2-3 hours. It's impractical for me to eat 4000-4500 calories on those long workout session days.

My advice is to eat 1700 or so a day for 2 weeks to determine a baseline. If you gain weight, lower the calorie level 100 a day and monitor it again for 2 weeks. If you lose weight but maintain your energy level and are happy with how you feel stay there.

Let me know if you have follow up questions. Best of luck with your training. Larry
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have pretty similar stats to you at a smidge over 5' and 140ish lbs. Coincidentally I am also "training" for a half (in quotes because my training has been sort of lazy this cycle) and do my long runs on Saturdays.

I usually eat back almost all of my cals that day because I pretty much indulge in whatever I want that day. Pop-tarts, mac and cheese or fast food. Or I might eat 800 extra cals that day and a few hundred more on Sunday.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Interesting .... I have similar stats 5"2 140ish and just getting back into running (did insanity most of last year instead) .... currently at 5 k working my way up hopefully to 10 k by fall and then on from there .... interested in reading upcoming posts