Beginner workout routine?

Options
I'm a total newbie at exercising regularly and I'm terrified of doing something stupid and injuring myself. Can someone with more experience tell me if this sounds like a good plan?

Monday, Thursday, Saturday: C25K

Tuesday and Friday: Strength training (I don't know much about this, so I just found this youtube video of a 15-min routine for beginners and use 8 lb weights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY)

Wednesday and Sunday: Beginning yoga (A.M. Yoga with Rodney Yee)

EVERYday: 10,000+ steps (usually equates to my normal daily activities, plus a dedicated ~2 mi walk)

Does that sound okay for a beginner? Anything to add? Anything to watch out for? Dangers?

Thanks!

PS -- I am female, 5'4" and currently 203 lbs.

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    At first glance, I would say to add a rest day, especially if you're new to exercising. If you're going to exercise 7 days a week, I would eat most exercise calories back/eat at a small deficit so you have the energy to do these workouts.

I have done C25k and really liked it. I currently am doing a 5k run on T & Thr, and am doing New Rules of Lifiting for Women (strength training) on MWF. I am seeing lots of results this way.

The video you posted--the exercises don't look bad but I would start with higher weight and do fewer reps. When you use lower weight and do lots of reps, all you do is build muscle endurance. If you want to get stronger, stick with higher weight and lower reps. But 'higher weight' is relative person to person. Find what works for you!

But by all means, if you don't feel too worn out or feel like you're overdoing it, figure out what you really enjoy, as that's what will be most sustainable.

Good luck!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    At first glance, I would say to add a rest day, especially if you're new to exercising. If you're going to exercise 7 days a week, I would eat most exercise calories back/eat at a small deficit so you have the energy to do these workouts.

I have done C25k and really liked it. I currently am doing a 5k run on T & Thr, and am doing New Rules of Lifiting for Women (strength training) on MWF. I am seeing lots of results this way.

The video you posted--the exercises don't look bad but I would start with higher weight and do fewer reps. When you use lower weight and do lots of reps, all you do is build muscle endurance. If you want to get stronger, stick with higher weight and lower reps. But 'higher weight' is relative person to person. Find what works for you!

But by all means, if you don't feel too worn out or feel like you're overdoing it, figure out what you really enjoy, as that's what will be most sustainable.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! In the video and other videos I have seen for beginning free weights, they always seem to suggest a 3-10 lb weight range for women. I was actually worried that I might be starting too high by using 8 lb weights, so it's good to know that it's definitely not too much. I will stick with the 8's for now -- it feels like a good amount and it's what I have.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's your body, but I would say that is too much and you are risking overtraining and injury. I do 10k steps every morning and it's a good hour and a half just for that at my pace. Also if your eating at a deficit, weight training is not very effective. You're asking your body to gain muscle mass without giving it the proper fuel to grow. Theoretically it's possible, but whatever gains you did make would be minimal. Why do you feel the need to exercise quite so much? I would recommend you not walk on your c25k days. Postpone the weight training until you reach 10% body fat and can eat properly for weight training. Walk 3 of the days you don't run, mix your yoga in on two of your run/walk days, and take a full day to rest at least. If you're body is sore then rest 2 days. If it's still sore, rest 3 days. Keep your protein up and make sure you are getting plenty of sleep as well.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started with 20 pushups, 10 sec break, 20 crunches, 10 sec break, then 20 bodyweight squats.

rinse and repeat as many times as you can before you pass out, then do it again at night.

if this is your first time working out in a while, I would allow yourself the next day to get over the soreness, but you wont get sore each day you do this, and I would do it every day that you aren't at the gym
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    IAlso if your eating at a deficit, weight training is not very effective. You're asking your body to gain muscle mass without giving it the proper fuel to grow. Theoretically it's possible, but whatever gains you did make would be minimal. Why do you feel the need to exercise quite so much? I would recommend you not walk on your c25k days. Postpone the weight training until you reach 10% body fat and can eat properly for weight training. If you're body is sore then rest 2 days. If it's still sore, rest 3 days. Keep your protein up and make sure you are getting plenty of sleep as well.
    Weight training in a calorie deficit is used as a way to keep the muscle you have. Waiting for 10% body fat is unrealistic especially in women. Most charts don't even drop to 10% for women.

Soreness is also relative. There is what I like to call "good" soreness that feels good a bit of a burn but nothing that keeps you from doing what you need to do, then there is "bad" soreness that is more related to injury. DOMS is common when starting new exercise and generally worked through and it will get better. I tend to work through actual DOMS but if it is starts to hamper my workout then I lean towards injury or overdoing it and give it a rest for another day.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks for your reply! In the video and other videos I have seen for beginning free weights, they always seem to suggest a 3-10 lb weight range for women. I was actually worried that I might be starting too high by using 8 lb weights, so it's good to know that it's definitely not too much. I will stick with the 8's for now -- it feels like a good amount and it's what I have.
    [/quote]

Please DO NOT buy into anyone telling you women should only be lifting 3-10 pound weights. That is ridiculous! You will see the biggest changes in your body by challenging yourself with higher weight and lower reps. If you're worried about looking "bulky", don't. Women don't produce enough testosterone to Hulk out like that. Building muscle is generally difficult for women, and nearly impossible while eating at a deficit.

And please don't listen to advice telling you to get to 10% bodyfat (UM WUT) before you begin lifting. The benefits of lifting will be seen no matter what BF% you start at.

Find what is heavy for you and go from there!