Exercises for someone with HBP

Options
Robbycu
Robbycu Posts: 10 Member
Hello,

I am 35 and pretty sedentary and I am on HBP meds. I'm over weight and would like to lose in total 60 pounds. I eat reasonably healthy but I'm trying to figure out exercises. See I am on HBP meds and it's under control, but upon exertion I get majorly light headed and my BP drops. When shopping for clothes in stores I can't spend alot of time looking at the lower rack without feeling dizzy. Basically doing anything like bending over or going up and down kinda screws me up.

Like most fat guys I have a belly, rolls, etc. So I need to do cardio. Any ideas for home exercises or home exercise programs. I'm not to vein to do programs for older people. I just need to do something. I've never been small, but now I feel my girth more an more.

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,039 Member
    Options
    Walk! And maybe see about getting your med dosage adjusted. Exervise is great, but remember you don't have to exercise to lose as long as you have a calorie deficit.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bigdaddyrobb
    bigdaddyrobb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am way fat, and on BP meds also, I have been walking and I also do some jump rope and body weight exercises. I bought a heart rate monitor watch and use it while exercising, I dont get dizzy and have the drop in BP like you do though.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Walk! And maybe see about getting your med dosage adjusted. Exervise is great, but remember you don't have to exercise to lose as long as you have a calorie deficit.

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Yeah, seriously. Walking works. Not at a snail's pace, but walk as if you might be running slightly late for an appointment. Move with a little effort. It totally works. I lost weight working in security with 3-5 patrols per shift, 10 minutes each, each patrol being hours apart in the day. It added up. It doesn't have to be a huge walk all at once. A short few walks per day can be 10-30 minutes of exercise, improve heart health, lower cholesterol, and ward off a possible case of "Nature Deficit Disorder."
  • Raymd5
    Raymd5 Posts: 4
    Options
    Actually, you need to stop exercising. At least until you check with your doctor.

The "normal" physiologic response to exercise is for our blood pressure to go up when we exert ourselves. Just as the heart rate goes up with exercise, the blood pressure is supposed to rise as well. This is one of the things that gets checked with an exercise test or Cardiac stress test.

Since you get light headed or dizzy with any exertion, the concern is that you are having your blood pressure go down during exercise. While it COULD be medicine related, it is also possible that you have an underlying heart condition that has not yet been diagnosed. You need to get back with your doctor and discuss the possibility before you continue to exercise. Ask if a stress test might be an appropriate thing to have done.

Great job with the weight loss so far, by the way.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor before doing anything. Furthermore, counting calories to stay in a deficit will be the primary reason for weight loss, not exercise, so focus on that as well.