Three weeks in and no weight loss

Options
Hi all

I am about three weeks into my exercise and diet plan and I haven't moved a single pound on the scales.

I realise there has been a christmas and new year full of rich food and drink, but I continued to workout hard at the gym.

Am I expecting too much to think I could have lost weight as I'm feeling a bit disheartened today.

Also, is it true working out can increase muscle mass and therefore I may not notice much difference on the scale?

Really want to get a kick start with my weight loss as I've got 40lbs to go. Suggestions or words of reassurance?

H

Replies

• rockabyesarojane
    Options
    Well if you have been working out hard then it is entirely possible that you've been replacing fat with muscle (which by the way; muscle is much heavier) one way that i would suggest for noticing a difference is take your measurments asap and then keep on doing like you've been doing. In a week and a half or two weeks go take those measurements again. Even ifyou're not seeing a difference on the scale you may see a differences in your inches.
    Hope that helps, and good luck!
  • Natalie0506
    Options
    When I was working out at the gym, I didn't lose a single pound. 3 days a week for months. I started working out at home, and I've lost 15 lbs so far. Yes, muscle weighs more than fat, so I'd go by how your clothes are fitting, not necessarily how the scale is moving.
  • Cyni
    Cyni Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is also my third week at the gym, ove been going everyday Mon-Fri, but I still dont see any loose lbs, im also interested in the answers you get. Dont give up!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Three weeks of exercise will not add muscle weight (unless you go hardcore like body builders do). You could be retaining water from sore/worked out muscles, however. On another note- exercise only accounts for 10-20% of weight loss. The majority of weight loss comes from caloric intake. Many people lose all of their weight without ever exercising. I am not saying working out should not be done or that it has no benefits because it has several, some of which include increased energy, toning, increased strength, and cardiovascular health, just to name a few. What I am saying is if you did not stay within your calorie goal then that could explain why the scale is not moving.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Most are familiar with the old, "eat more calories than you burn," mantra; but it's hard to nail down where that point is sometimes. It is true that exercise can build muscle at the same time it is burning fat which can lead to a stagnant number on the scale. Advice that I am coming to like to give is to make sure that you are measuring more than just your weight. You can pick up a measuring tape at any craft store or even Wal-Mart for a few dollars and can keep track of your fat loss by that means too. Personally, I have been hovering around the same weight for the last two months, but the measurements are going down so I know my work isn't all in vain. I highly recommend this to you as well as the scale can be a **tch when it feels so inclined.

I have requested you as a friend so that I can see your food diary. Figuring out your vitals and activity level can go a long way to figure out if you might actually be eating too much or too little for effective weight loss.

Cheers!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't get down. I have heard that working out with weights, gives you more muscle mass than before. And, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are building muscle, you won't see the scale move down. Maybe you can start out a little lighter on the weights, so you tone your body before you build muscle. Also, be careful with what you are eating. Make sure you frink plenty of water, as you will feel full more. Good luck with everything. Stay strong.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Three weeks of exercise will not add muscle weight (unless you go hardcore like body builders do). You could be retaining water from sore/worked out muscles, however. On another note- exercise only accounts for 10-20% of weight loss. The majority of weight loss comes from caloric intake. Many people lose all of their weight without ever exercising. I am not saying working out should not be done or that it has no benefits because it has several, some of which include increased energy, toning, increased strength, and cardiovascular health, just to name a few. What I am saying is if you did not stay within your calorie goal then that could explain why the scale is not moving.

Exactly what she said.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Have you been logging your food and putting everything on there you put in your mouth. You would be surprised. About 2 years ago I really started to get into fitness and I was working out and seeing no results. Then one day I sat down and logged and realized I was eating 3000 cals/day. So yeah that will do it to you. I have been holding weight that I always blame on breast feeding holding it there, but it really comes down to-if I am logging I lose weight.

Plus my exercised design class my teacher does make his clients gain before he makes them lose, because when you lose you are bound to lose some muscle. So he does make them gain muscle before he takes off the fat.

Luckily I have fat calipers and a bunch of classmates who are willing to measure mine, because I was very discouraged. Last time I measured I was down 3%. So really you can't always go by the scale. Fat percentage or even just measurements or how your clothes fit are a better way to go!!
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    What is your workout routine? I would suggest trying to get at least one hour of cardio a day if you want to jump start weight loss. I also have found for me at least, that they give me a little too much credit (in terms of calories) for exercise, so I try not to really eat all the "extra" I aquired. Good luck!
  • holkeo
    holkeo Posts: 34
    Options
    That all makes a lot of sense; thank you!

I think maybe I have been expecting too much from the gym. There was about a 7 days period when I actually didn't calorie count at all and ate pretty much want I wanted and drank calorific alcohol. Perhaps as I get more into the calorie watching, I will notice more of a difference?

Thanks for the advice on measuring instead of weighing, I'll give that a try (although I'd really love to see those scales going down!)

I just hoped I'd see a really dramatic weightloss at the beginning to spur me on. Maybe being too ambitious with Christmas and NY in the way?

Thanks all

x
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Hang in thier it will happen if you keep it up and eat right.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I lost over 40 inches all over with only a 3lb. weight loss. Muscle does not weigh more than fat-1 pound is 1 pound...But it is more dense. Also, I gained 8lbs over the Holidays so I upped my water intake to flush out the sodium and stuff and now I am down 5 pounds since Sunday. I hope this helps,don't get discouraged!
  • Lozt09
    Lozt09 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know how you feel! I think sometimes though you can just tell in the clothes you are wearing (ie feeling looser?) and also losing inches on hips, stomach, arms, etc.. dont give up!! x
  • holkeo
    Options
    Thank you that's so helpful. 38lbs! Wow. Well done!

H
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Don't get down. I have heard that working out with weights, gives you more muscle mass than before. And, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are building muscle, you won't see the scale move down. Maybe you can start out a little lighter on the weights, so you tone your body before you build muscle.

BAD ADVICE! First off, you won't build noticeable muscle mass in 3 weeks. Building muscle is a GOOD THING. The more lean muscle you have, the more it increases your metabolism and therefore burns more calories, even while you're sitting in front of the TV.
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5lbs is 5lbs. Fat takes up more space than fat thus a 150 lb person with 19% body fat will look smaller than a 150 lb person with 35% body fat.
  • tpro
    tpro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found for me, when I spent an hour at the gym on strength training I gained weight. So what I have had to do is switch my workout to 1 hour on the treadmill and a half hour on strenght training. This has helped the scale start going down again. Just try different workout styles until you find the right combination for you! Everyone has to find the best way for them, just don't give up.
  • holkeo
    Options
    What is your workout routine? I would suggest trying to get at least one hour of cardio a day if you want to jump start weight loss. I also have found for me at least, that they give me a little too much credit (in terms of calories) for exercise, so I try not to really eat all the "extra" I aquired. Good luck!

Hey.. I've been going to spinning literally every day and then doing resistence stuff. I guess the food I ate at Xmas means I've just been exercising to eat what I want and thus staying the same?

H
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Hey.. I've been going to spinning literally every day and then doing resistence stuff. I guess the food I ate at Xmas means I've just been exercising to eat what I want and thus staying the same?

H

Exactly. :bigsmile:
  • PokenStick
    Options
    You can't out exercise bad eating and a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle...they both weigh a pound (duh) but fat takes up more room. It's less dense, not lighter! There is no way that you gained the same amount of muscle that you lost in fat. Make sure you're staying within your dietary goals, drinking plenty of water, and stick with working out. The weight loss will come, everyone's body is different.