Is 1200 really the minimum?

Options
I simply am just looking for clarification. I've read that anything below that can send your body into starvation mode, hindering your weight loss, obviously I don't want that. Multiple calculators have told me that with my current lifestyle, not including my workouts, I need 2600+ calories to maintain weight.
However, with my strict diet I've been finding it fairly easy to eat only around 1,000 calories and being able to burn off 200 - 300. Those giant salads that end up only being around 100 calories have been helping a lot. I usually then make up for it by eating something to get me just under or at 1,200.

Replies

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You need to determine 2 things. One is your basal metabolic rate or BMR. The other is your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE. BMR is the number of calories your body needs for your organs to keep you alive. If you were bedridden, this is what you'd need to consume in order to maintain your weight. TDEE is how many calories you're burning in an average day, doing all the things you do in a day like attending school/work, running errands, doing daily chores, participating in sports, hobbies, or other activities.

To lose weight in a healthy way, you want a caloric intake that is ABOVE your BMR but BELOW your TDEE. Check out the calculators below for determining what works for you.

http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

(As a 22 yr old male, I'm guessing that 1200 calories will be below your BMR. You can eat more and still lose weight, and there really is no need for you to adopt a strict diet if you stay below TDEE.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You're a 22 year old male-- I'd argue that 1200 is below the minimum for you. It's not about starvation mode, it's about losing your lean mass (including your muscle) and getting adequate nutrients. To protect your muscle you should be aiming for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or if you don't know your LBM, 0.8 grams per pound of weight. Then you should aim for .35 grams of fat per pound of weight. Between those two things your calorie intake should get considerably higher.

You're young and possibly still growing. There's no reason to eat so little.

eta: also you only want to lose 10 lbs-- that means your body physically cannot burn fat quickly enough to keep up with your low intake. You should be aiming to lose half a pound per week TOPS.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP...as a young man you need more food than 1200.

I have a son around your age and he maintains at a lot higher than 2600 (he is a large lad)

With 10lbs to lose 1/2lb a week is good

Your goal here should be to eat as much food as you can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight each week...not as little as possible and do yourself harm.
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    My BMR is 1650
    So I should be bumping my calorie in take up to around 400 cals? I can easily do that, but my only fear is not losing fast enough to notice progress. That's been a major issue with previous diets and my result of giving up. I suppose I just have to be patient. I've mentioned before on here that my issue isn't significant weight loss, just enough to get rid of stubborn fat around my glutes, hips, and stomach.

What about exercise calories? If I were to consume 1400 before my workout, burn 200 - 300, then I should be eating back 400 or 500?
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Technically the minimum is 0.

Some obese dude took in nothing but vitamins and water for a year in the name of science. Seriously, look it up.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :noway:

I don't recommend it for anyone.. Not healthy. At all.
    I understand about the progress and giving up... But trust me... It is so much better to be slow and steady. You're body and health will appreciate it in the long run..
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1650 and you aren't comatose, then your minimum is 1650.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    my only fear is not losing fast enough to notice progress. That's been a major issue with previous diets and my result of giving up

Is it worth it to you to lose your muscle? As others have said, you will lose that if you do not eat enough protein. Lift weights, eat at a small deficit of no more than 500 calories under your TDEE a week and be patient.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I think what you should do is go to a nutriationist.

Many have given you some very good advice on how to be living healthy and you seem as if you are questioning it. Go to a professionist.

At this point, I am not trying to be a 'Debbie Downer' here but, if you are eating that few calories, I doubt you are living a "healthy' life style. Being lean is not the goal, being healthy is the goal.

I know this is just one old man's opinion here, but I did make to be an old man
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For a 22 year old male, 1200 is well below the minimum...I believe the minimum recommendation for a male that is not morbidly obese is in the neighborhood of 1800 calories or so.

1200 is the minimum for sedentary females...and it's pretty damned hard to actually get proper nutrition going lower than that.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dietician, not nutritionist. Eat no lower then b.m.r
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I simply am just looking for clarification. I've read that anything below that can send your body into starvation mode, hindering your weight loss, obviously I don't want that. Multiple calculators have told me that with my current lifestyle, not including my workouts, I need 2600+ calories to maintain weight.
    However, with my strict diet I've been finding it fairly easy to eat only around 1,000 calories and being able to burn off 200 - 300. Those giant salads that end up only being around 100 calories have been helping a lot. I usually then make up for it by eating something to get me just under or at 1,200.

If netting less than half of your maintenance need to lose a small amount of weight extremely quickly sounds safe or effective to you I doubt that any amount of logic or sense is going to affect that belief.
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Options
    For me, keeping my caloric intake around the same as my BMR means I don't feel hungry - so less likely to experience cravings and cave. After that, any exercise I do = weight I lose. So whether or not I lose is entirely dependent on exercise. That works for me because I want the other health benefits of exercise and I need the nutritional benefits of food - so relying too heavily on cutting calories isn't a viable option in my book.

I hear you on wanting faster loss in order to motivate, wishing that I didn't have to be satisfied with not gaining too many days in a row sometimes. But I figure long-term health is more important.
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    The problem I'm having is mixed information. I've been told it's as simple as cutting x amount of calories based on how fast I want to lose, even getting down to 800 calories, while extreme, is not entirely bad as long as they're all from healthy food.

I, obviously was put under the impression that 1200 was a minimum if I want to stay relatively safe and still lose as much as possible, and now here I'm being told I should be eating my BMR which is something I haven't even heard of till now.

I was under the impression anything less than maintenance is automatic weight loss, after looking around forums it seems people are saying you need to deficit your BMR? Then I was reading all over the place that your body weight x7 is the minimum you can safely go down to, I'm only 140lbs, so...

It's confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dispute anyone, not that I could because I don't know much about dieting and fitness in general, but it just seems like one group of people say you can safely do "x" while the others say doing "x" is going to cause you bodily harm and hinder progress.

I just want a straight forward solution. If eating BMR calories is a must then obviously I'll do it (it just means more food, which is fine by me) I just want to make sure I'm losing at a decent rate without hurting much.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The problem I'm having is mixed information. I've been told it's as simple as cutting x amount of calories based on how fast I want to lose, even getting down to 800 calories, while extreme, is not entirely bad as long as they're all from healthy food.

I, obviously was put under the impression that 1200 was a minimum if I want to stay relatively safe and still lose as much as possible, and now here I'm being told I should be eating my BMR which is something I haven't even heard of till now.

I was under the impression anything less than maintenance is automatic weight loss, after looking around forums it seems people are saying you need to deficit your BMR? Then I was reading all over the place that your body weight x7 is the minimum you can safely go down to, I'm only 140lbs, so...

It's confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dispute anyone, not that I could because I don't know much about dieting and fitness in general, but it just seems like one group of people say you can safely do "x" while the others say doing "x" is going to cause you bodily harm and hinder progress.

I just want a straight forward solution. If eating BMR calories is a must then obviously I'll do it (it just means more food, which is fine by me) I just want to make sure I'm losing at a decent rate without hurting much.

Do your homework and learn what the body needs to survive and lose weight in a healthy manner. That means sources backed by science, not the latest trend diet site. When morbidly obese patients are placed on low calorie diets by doctors there is medical supervision for a reason ... there are inherent risks to such activities. Doing something like that on your own is just foolish. What you've posted indicates that you are trying to limit your calories to less than half of your maintenance need .... based on some indicators about half of your BMR ... without medical supervision in an effort to lose what is a small amount of weight and body fat.

You can go about that in a smart and healthy way or you can take a foolish course of action ... your choice.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

It's confusing.

1200 is the "accepted" minimum...for women. For men, it's more like 1600. Any less than that and you're probably not getting in the nutrients you need to stay healthy. Sure, you could load up on vitamins and other supplements, but getting it from food is ideal. Why in the world would you want to limit yourself to 1200 or less calories per day? If you did that, you'd certainly lose weight, but you'd almost certainly be hungry and miserable. This is the only body you'll ever have - treat it right and it'll thank you. If you're relatively active, your BMR is the lowest you should be netting daily.

No, you do not need to deficit your BMR. The deficit should come from your TDEE. Google it, find an online calculator, put in your info, and find out what it is. Then, since you're (hopefully) not trying to lose much weight, subtract 10-15% from that number and eat that many calories. I'm not sure what you'd consider a "decent rate" of weight loss, but at your current weight, you should only be losing about .5 lb/week. That's perfectly normal and plenty.

There are plenty of weight loss misconceptions out there, so do your own research and stop listening to random people. Don't eat under your BMR, don't eat your body weight x7 (that is complete nonsense), and for God's sake - EAT! Why do you want to starve yourself in order to lose weight if you can safely lose weight while eating at a reasonable deficit?

My main question is, if you're 140 lbs, why the hell are you trying to lose weight? How tall are you?
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    I actually came upon/was given links to articles about studies saying I could starve myself, not that I was trying to, and wouldn't have to worry about anything like starvation mode until around 5% bodyfat. I wasn't trying to follow that path, but like I said, confusing information.

But thank you to those with the tips and feedback. I've taken my cals up quite a bit.

And at Ireed: I'm 5'7". I actually posted about how my losing weight was..conflicting, since I didn't/don't want to lose weight, essentially. I just have this really stubborn fat around my stomach, hips, and glutes, even thighs. Probably 10lbs worth. Mostly towards my rear. I'm talking if I wear anything remotely tight I get lovehandles, especially towards the back, and my butt sticks out/looks about an inch more. If I grab the fat around the back of my hips and tug it up, my rear becomes noticably flatter/smaller. I thought it was loose skin, upon inspection and from what I've found out online, it's not skin.
    I was simply trying to get rid of these areas for Summer.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1650
    So I should be bumping my calorie in take up to around 400 cals? I can easily do that, but my only fear is not losing fast enough to notice progress. That's been a major issue with previous diets and my result of giving up. I suppose I just have to be patient. I've mentioned before on here that my issue isn't significant weight loss, just enough to get rid of stubborn fat around my glutes, hips, and stomach.

What about exercise calories? If I were to consume 1400 before my workout, burn 200 - 300, then I should be eating back 400 or 500?

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options

As per others you should be taking in 1650 if that's your BMR. However this isn't only about calories. You should be following your macros. You should be getting your protein and carbs with reduced fat. Protein will help you keep muscle - going to 1200 or less then your body will take away muscle and in the long run you'll be worse off than you are now. At least your on the right track - you just need a bit of tweaking.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I actually came upon/was given links to articles about studies saying I could starve myself, not that I was trying to, and wouldn't have to worry about anything like starvation mode until around 5% bodyfat. I wasn't trying to follow that path, but like I said, confusing information.

But thank you to those with the tips and feedback. I've taken my cals up quite a bit.

And at Ireed: I'm 5'7". I actually posted about how my losing weight was..conflicting, since I didn't/don't want to lose weight, essentially. I just have this really stubborn fat around my stomach, hips, and glutes, even thighs. Probably 10lbs worth. Mostly towards my rear. I'm talking if I wear anything remotely tight I get lovehandles, especially towards the back, and my butt sticks out/looks about an inch more. If I grab the fat around the back of my hips and tug it up, my rear becomes noticably flatter/smaller. I thought it was loose skin, upon inspection and from what I've found out online, it's not skin.
    I was simply trying to get rid of these areas for Summer.

Are you currently lifting weights?

There's a difference between the argument that starvation mode is a myth and the argument that eating as little as possible isn't healthy. Most of us are not referring to it being unsafe because it will shut down your metabolism. We're saying it's not safe because you won't get adequate nutrition and you won't retain your muscle mass while you lose weight, which means your body fat percentage will stay the same you'll just be smaller.

If you want to look good for summer my recommendation is to do a progressive loading strength training program based on compound lifts, eat .8 grams of protein and .35 grams of fat per pound of weight, run a very small deficit (think 250 calories lower than your TDEE) and be patient.