Disappointed by gym :'(

Options
So I saw online that a gym near me opened in April and that it was offering a free trial, so I called them and they said you can come in this week...when I got there they told me it doesn't open until August and so I had to listen to a sales pitch based on boring floor plans :/ I had been expecting to work out at the gym today...I exercise intensely at home but somehow exercising in the gym makes me feel accomplished and I haven't had that experience since April!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ok…go back in august?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ditto.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    How frustrating! Do you have a Planet fitness or YMCA close by?
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even go back, but that's just me being suspicious. :laugh:

If it was advertised that it opened in April but when you went you were treated to a sales pitch and they said they won't open until August...eh...possibly a misprint error but it also sounds like a cheap way to solicit sales to a captive audience who shows up ready to work out.

I'd have my doubts, personally.

ETA: if they were that pushy to get you to sign something when they hadn't even opened yet, I'd DEFINITELY run the other way. Something doesn't sound right about that at all.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't think I would even go back, but that's just me being suspicious. :laugh:

If it was advertised that it opened in April but when you went you were treated to a sales pitch and they said they won't open until August...eh...possibly a misprint error but it also sounds like a cheap way to solicit sales to a captive audience who shows up ready to work out.

so it is their bad for trying to drum up sales for their business…really???? LOL …

why not just join in august…? Regardless of the sales pitch ..if it seems like a good gym and is the only option why not join in August?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ok…go back in august?

can't, they were soooo pushy at me to sign up today that I was like yeah yeah I'll come back tomorrow, left my credit card at home...oh wells

so you want to work out at a gym and this is the only gym at town and bc you do not like their sales pitch you are going to let it affect your progress/goals, really??
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

so it is their bad for trying to drum up sales for their business…really???? LOL …

why not just join in august…? Regardless of the sales pitch ..if it seems like a good gym and is the only option why not join in August?

It's not bad for anyone to try to drum up business but if they advertise that they are open and when people show up ready to work out and are treated to a sales pitch instead and pressured to sign up for something that isn't opening for another 3 months--that doesn't sound right.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    NDJ - what I meant is that it's embarrassing to go in August since I said I'll be back with my credit card tomorrow - but I won't be.

I doubt they would remember you in August, but then again...perhaps they would..but I doubt that they would actually care.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... what I meant is that it's embarrassing to go in August ....

So you'll let that stop you going?

conversion rates on that type of sale is notoriously low, they'll have recognised as soon as you said it that you're very unlikely to go back in. The key to closing a sale in that kid of context is to push the buyer into commitment. As a model it fairly frequently fails.

Once they're open, go and have a look. The value of a gym does depend on the environment and feel of the place so it's reasonable to go and check it out later.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ok…go back in august?

can't, they were soooo pushy at me to sign up today that I was like yeah yeah I'll come back tomorrow, left my credit card at home...oh wells

so you want to work out at a gym and this is the only gym at town and bc you do not like their sales pitch you are going to let it affect your progress/goals, really??

who peed in your cheerios this morning? She is disappointed because she thought she was going to go work out at a gym today with a free trial and a. the gym wasn't even open b. she missed out on a workout and c. in return for her effort she was met by an aggressive sales shark. There is no need for your shortness with her.

Girl its a good thing you didn't sign up. you should be able to get a legitimate trial and see a working facility before you sign any contract so good for you for walking away. is the issue that this was the only gym close in proximity to where you live? if so that is unfortunate. keep up with your home workouts. maybe you'll find another gym that is close by and be happy joining there.

ETA: don't be embarrassed about going back in August. I can guarantee you aren't the only one who saw the progress and held off. I doubt they will sign many people to a construction zone :)
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You're right, Saschka. They told me on the phone that it the facilities were open and had opened in April.

NDJ - what I meant is that it's embarrassing to go in August since I said I'll be back with my credit card tomorrow - but I won't be. With that said I do exercise a lot at home every day.
    Don't worry Crystal ndj and others just come on these forums to try to make people feel dumb or bad. It makes them feel tough. like a bully or something.
    It IS a poor advertising plan/gimmick. It is untruthful. If you had joined, imagine how they would be with your credit card number if you for some reason had to stop your membership! Is it a big name gym?
    I work for a gym and I get irritated when I talk my friends into joining, they talk to a rep, sign up, and 2 days later they gym announces a big big sale/waives sign up fees/etc. They could have been considerate and mentioned the sale (I never know beforehand, I'm an instructor) New members see those signs and feel bad the reps didn't even mention the sale. People always appreciate when a business goes the extra mile for them, not when a business tries to mislead them.
  • joolsbunny
    joolsbunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms, as I've joined so many in the past and never been enough times to get my money's worth. I want to exercise at home and get more muscle definition on my arms, stomach and thighs without going overboard and looking like a weight lifter. Can anyone suggest the best exercises whether with weights, stretches or whatever? Also what are the best foods to eat to help build muscle? I play golf a couple of times a week and pilates once both of which are fairly moderate exercise.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms, as I've joined so many in the past and never been enough times to get my money's worth. I want to exercise at home and get more muscle definition on my arms, stomach and thighs without going overboard and looking like a weight lifter. Can anyone suggest the best exercises whether with weights, stretches or whatever? Also what are the best foods to eat to help build muscle? I play golf a couple of times a week and pilates once both of which are fairly moderate exercise.

I've heard of a lot of people satisfied with Jillian Michaels' DVD programs. You can try it out via looking up segments on YouTube.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ok…go back in august?

If a business loses customers because it did the sales pitch wrong or were too pushy or whatever, then that's the fault of the business, not the customer. They need to train their salespeople better.

The OP works out at home so it's not like she's giving up on her fitness goals because she didn't like this gym's salespeople.

It may well be worth her making a trip back to the gym in August, see what it's like when it's actually open, but people can make just as much progress working out at home as they can in the gym, and home gyms often work out cheaper (the initial cost of buying the equipment is offset later on in not having to pay monthly membership fees) so it's not like she has to join any gym if she doesn't like it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

the women who lift weights on this site look pretty damn hot.... I don't know why anyone wouldn't like to look like them.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Gym always ticks me off too, but I cant seem to break up with him :laugh:
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    maybe im missing something here... ummm... just don't go back if you have a problem with them. problem solved.