Post hysterectomy, am I really be subject to weight gain?

Options
New Years resolution! New to MFP and really liking it so far. I'm 4 weeks post unexpected hysterectomy after finding a mass (now known to be benign) on left ovary. I've been told I'll likely put on weight. After working my butt off the last five years to shed 40# and still hoping to get off the last 15, I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts?

Replies

• QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am sure everyone is different but in the last 2 years since my hysterectomy, I have gained 30 lbs! And that is why I recently signed up on MFP. I say stay aware of your eating and keep up exercising. I know I have to be even more disciplined in both now or I continue to gain weight.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I had a hysterectomy also, and I also gained about 30 pounds. Stay strong with your dieting and workouts, and you will lose that weight again. A friend told me about this site, and since I joined, I have lost 12 pounds. Good luck to you.
  • Tammie37
    Tammie37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your surgery - glad to hear it was benign! Are you on HRT? I have gained 33 lbs since my hysterectomy - however, I have quit smoking during that time as well. I think with focus and continuing to work your butt off, you should be able to shed! We do tend to get that menopausal midriff thing going on though....no matter what we do!
  • lynh564
    lynh564 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy at age 29. I am now 46. While I did gain weight - I cannot blame it on that. I was eating too much and not moving enough. I have gotten really serious about watching what I eat and exercising. I have lost almost 97 lbs this year. I managed to even lose over the holidays while still enjoying in some of the food but not overdoing it. I would suspect if you are honest about what you are eating and exercising, you will continue to lose weight. Also, I am also hypo-thyroid, as well.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I gained too. Not everyone does though. Good news for you is that you have been forewarned, so you can take steps to watch your diet & exercise so that you don't! I wish someone had warned me. :frown:
  • almorrow1s
    almorrow1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My mom had a hysterectomy in September and has actually lost about 35 pounds, but it was a big scare for her and knocked her back into some healthy habits. I wish you the best of luck, if you treat yourself well you should be fine!
  • NancyHukka
    Options
    Wow ladies. Glad I asked. Glad I found MFP. Here's to us sticking to healthy eating and exercise!