Gaining on a deficit for 3 weeks after quitting smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    I never had a weight issue until I quit smoking. That being said, it is possible to reset your metabolism and retrain your body - you just have to keep on keeping on. Hang in there, keep eating right and exercising. It will pay off but you will have to be patient. Good luck.

Would loveto know what u did to reset your metabolism and retrain your body.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Wow thanks so much! I haven't looked into any of this but surely will.
    Well done on quitting smoking that's great :)

Healthy bones and muscles are heavier than unhealthy ones. Gains in muscle weight is not necessarily muscle tissue (you're right women can't grow new muscle tissue quickly or easily) but it could be gains in muscle glycogen. Also you may have gained bone mass, i.e. stronger, denser bones. Best way to check if you're gaining fat is to measure your waist, although even that could be bloating or water weight rather than fat. The main reason why people put on weight after quitting smoking is because of uncontrolled snacking (i.e. replacing one habit with another) but if you're sticking to your calorie limits then it's not that.

Quitting smoking is going to be making your body healthier, that means you'll be absorbing nutrients better, that's why I'm wondering about bone mass and muscle glycogen. Also your blood will be carrying more oxygen and less carbon monoxide, which means all your cells will be getting a better oxygen supply. Your whole body will be functioning better now, and as I said, healthier means heavier for everything except body fat. IMO the best goal for health is to try to be as heavy as you can at a particular dress size. If you're putting on fat you will get bigger as the fat is stored under your skin, or between your abdominal organs (visceral fat, the worst kind for health) - if you're gaining weight and staying the same size then it's not fat you're gaining. Even if you get a bit bigger it could be water retention or intestinal bloating (which you'd fix by checking what you're eating, e.g. not too much sodium, checking you're not intolerant to any food (intolerance leads to bloating amongst other problems).

If you're absolutely sure it's fat gain, then keep your calories the same and do a little more exercise/activity each day.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Try getting a multivitamin. Something like one-a-day women's active metabolism. Maybe there are some nutrients you need to help kick start your metabolism. Or maybe try a cleanse to try and get some of those toxins out of you! Don't give up. Great job on quitting!

I do take a multivitamin. I have thought about a body detox but I am afraid that the quitting smoking put such a shock on my body that doing a body detox might be something I should hold off on. Not real sure tho but I do have some.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Eat as clean as possible and keep getting regular exercise at least 4 days per week. Weigh and measure now. Then don't revisit it for at least a month. Your body is adjusting. The stress of worrying about your weight is something you don't need. You're on the right track... just give enough time to work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    IMO from what I've experienced with clients who do quit, is the weight gain is from a little extra eating, a slightly lower metabolism and the LOSS of destressing from having a cigarette. Stress does play a big role and the loss of smoking to some can actually cause them to stress out on finding another outlet.
    With most of them I try to have them focus on exercise more as there destressing factor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5574805_smoking-causes-weight-loss.html

Read^^^

And I would suggest, based on what I know of caffeine.... drink more coffee... it does about the same, you will just have to make more trips to the bathroom
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Four out of five quitters gain some weight—4 pounds to 10 pounds each, on average. Hang in there! You WILL take it off, but you cannot grow a new lung. Congratulations on quitting smoking!
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. That is a rough thing to do!

When I quit smoking, over the course of a month or so, I gained about 10 lbs.

Quitting can make you gain for a lot of reasons. One of the main ones you cannot "get around" is that smoking is both a stimulant and appetite suppressant. It actually speeds your metabolism.

For me, I had a bad oral fixation after I quit as well, so it was hard not to snack.

Drinking green tea and/or coffee helped me a lot throughout the process. A nonfat latte really hits the spot since it is comforting and "warm" on your throat (imho, this is all from my personal experience...) and it has a little bit of caffeine to speed your metabolism and protein to help keep your appetite at bay.

When I quit, I had to quit watching calories for a while as well. I was very moody and had to use my energy to keep myself from being mean to well-meaning friends/family.

This all being said, any MD will tell you 5-10 lbs is better than smoking. Congrats on your healthy step. Just try to keep eating as healthy as you can and exercising and your metabolism should eventually reset itself.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. You've all been very helpful and made me think a little. I have spent a great deal of my time lately on self improvement. Quitting caffeine was one. That was over 5 weeks ago. I realize now that I should have quit smoking then quit caffeine but I've always been one to do all the easier stuff first. Sugar addiction has returned unfortunately but I still keep my calories below maintenance. I also realize now that there is more to weight gain then fat, muscle, and water and that when I look at my body changes, I don't appear to be "fatter", I just happen to be heavier. I am also thinking of changing how I handle my goals. Originally I was going to cut fat for a few more pounds, but instead I may work on building muscle while my body is going through these changes. I think building muscle will allow me to eat more also, therefore lowering stress. After all, it's not about weight. It's more about appearances... More inches here and less inches there. When I do decide to lose the extra fat it should be easier, but now is not the time. I should take advantage of these high energy levels and see what I am capable of. Thanks again for all the advice :)
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight issue until I quit smoking. That being said, it is possible to reset your metabolism and retrain your body - you just have to keep on keeping on. Hang in there, keep eating right and exercising. It will pay off but you will have to be patient. Good luck.

Would loveto know what u did to reset your metabolism and retrain your body.

I'm still working on it and it's been nearly 3 years since I quit. I had smoked for 30 years so I figure I have a lot of time to make up. The best advice I can offer is patience and persistence. I'm only now beginning to take the 10 pounds off that I gained. I have 3 to go until I reach my smoking weight but it has taken me a good 6 months to get here. I'm not in a hurry because I want this to be a permanent change. You can do this!
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say CONGRATS on quitting....it IS hard but it IS doable. I have a friend that told me " people who love themselves don't put poison in their bodies" At first I wanted to smack him, but after 6 days smoke free...I wrote it down and say it when I get a craving. I have quit 10 times over the years..developed COPD at a really abnormally young age according to my lung doc and after 2 bouts of pneumonia that almost killed me..I STILL smoked. It's a serious killing business.

I am so happy for you ....and one last thought...I didn't gain much every time I quit, and the pounds I did gain, came off with no problem this last year after trying 3 more times. Wait it out and keep doing what you were doing! I promise! :flowerforyou:

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have loads of sound advice and info re what quitting smoking can do (by the way - huge congrats on that) but you are probably putting your body under more unnecessary stress by all the exercise you do. You should really limit it to an hour a day and make sure you have a rest day. As you have mentioned you are going to do - strength training is great. And be patient - you have made a huge step towards being healthy, give your body some time to adjust.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everytime you have a craving or think about tobacco, drop and knock out 20 pushups.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    great article!

Smoking increases metabolism slightly:•Smoking burns up to 200 calories a day in a heavy smoker
    •Because smoking burns calories, metabolism is boosted (increased) slightly
    •Nicotine is an appetite suppressant
    When you quit smoking, a gain of between 5 and 10 pounds during the first few months of cessation is normal. If your eating habits have remained the same as they were when you smoked, you can easily shed this small gain with a brisk, 30 minute walk daily.

Why do I want to eat more?
    Smoking cessation throws our bodies into shock initially. Increased appetite is a side effect of quitting tobacco for most people. One or more of the following reasons may be at play:•Cigarettes as an appetite suppressant
    Smokers often avoid between meal snacking by lighting up. Nicotine is a stimulant, and may also interfere with the release of the hormone insulin. Insulin controls glucose levels in the blood. When this function is blocked, a person will become slightly hyperglycemic, and as a result, the body and brain may slow down the hormones and other signals that trigger feelings of hunger.
    •Food as a replacement for smoking
    Early on in a person's quit, the urge to smoke is frequent and uncomfortable. It's natural to look for something to ease the discomfort, and food is often used as a replacement. Not only does it fill the void left by the cigarette, food can be an emotional comfort, easing the pain of withdrawal.
    Studies have shown that women are at greater risk than men for returning to smoking as a way to avoid weight gain. Understanding what happens to our bodies when we quit smoking, and what we can do to alleviate discomforts in constructive ways that do not involve weight gain will help you stay on track.

What can I do to avoid gaining weight when I quit smoking?
    There are a number of choices you can make to minimize weight gain:
    Exercise
    Because quitting smoking slows the metabolism, getting some form of daily exercise is very important. To combat excess weight, shoot for at least a half hour of exercise, 5 days a week. It doesn't have to be a high intensity aerobic workout - a brisk 30 minute walk around your neighborhood will work wonders. Exercise is also a great way to beat cravings to smoke. If you're having a bad day, get out for a walk. It'll clear your mind and improve your attitude.

Healthy Snacks
    Put snacks together ahead of time so that when the munchies hit, you've got good food choices within easy reach:
    •vegetable sticks - celery, carrot
    •94% fat free popcorn
    •sunflower seeds in the shell
    •Water - drink lots of it!
    •hard candies to suck on
    •fresh fruit
    •fat free yogurt
    •herbal teas
    •hot cocoa made with nonfat milk
    •frozen grapes
    •fat free fudgecicles
    If you're concerned about weight gain, do yourself a favor and remove tempting, high fat foods from your home. Don't have a chocolate cake on the counter begging you to cut a slice. If you have an intense craving for a hot fudge sundae, it's better to go out and have one at a restaurant than it is to keep all of the ingredients to make it on hand in the house.
    Avoid Alcohol
    Not only is alcohol high in calories, it can be a huge trigger to smoke. For many people, smoking and drinking go together like a hand in a glove. Avoid the empty calories in alcohol, but more importantly, don't put yourself at risk of relapse by drinking early in your quit.

One Challenge at a Time
    People who quit smoking often decide it's time to clean their lives up in other areas as well. That's great, but be careful. If you try to do too many self-improvement projects at once, you run the risk of failing at all of them.

Keep these points in mind:
    •Be good to yourself. Quitting tobacco is a huge accomplishment, and you should reward yourself for your progress often. Don't underestimate the magnitude of what you are doing.
    •Be patient. Quitting smoking is a process over time. It doesn't happen overnight, but in comparison to the number of years most of us smoked, recovery from this addiction is short. Give yourself the time you need to heal.
    •Accept yourself. You are a wonderful person just as you are right now.
    If you gain a few pounds while going through the process of quitting tobacco, so be it. The benefits will affect your life as well as those who love you in more ways than you can imagine. You can quit smoking without gaining a lot of weight. Don't let the fear of weight gain keep you chained to an addiction that will kill you, given the chance

Properly cite your source please.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?
    How much sodium have you had the past few days?
    Are you under any stress?
    Do you sleep 6-9 hours a night?

I lift about 3 times a week heavy, usually takes about 30 min each. My sodium hasn't changed. I occasionally go slightly over but usually stay in the green. I am under a great deal of stress. And I sleep an average of 2 hours a day longer than I did before I quit. (from 6 hrs to 8 hrs)

PM me your info and lets see if you have the proper settings to lose weight.

Weight
    Body Fat%
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump for reference!