Disappointed by gym :'(

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms, as I've joined so many in the past and never been enough times to get my money's worth.

:huh:
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    I hate gyms, as I've joined so many in the past and never been enough times to get my money's worth. I want to exercise at home and get more muscle definition on my arms, stomach and thighs without going overboard and looking like a weight lifter. Can anyone suggest the best exercises whether with weights, stretches or whatever? Also what are the best foods to eat to help build muscle? I play golf a couple of times a week and pilates once both of which are fairly moderate exercise.

... please tell me this is a joke ...
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would worry that this is a scam. There's nothing to say that this gym will ever actually open (or that it will be a legit gym--it could be a few crappy machines just so they can't get sued). Never sign up for anything or give them your money before you're certain of the product.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms try to sell memberships while they are being built. An LA Fitness right by me started selling as soon as they rented the space, before construction even started. A YouFit not too far did the same thing. This is not unusual.

Now I kick myself for not signing up because LA Fitness offered great prices during the run up to opening.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms, as I've joined so many in the past and never been enough times to get my money's worth. I want to exercise at home and get more muscle definition on my arms, stomach and thighs without going overboard and looking like a weight lifter. Can anyone suggest the best exercises whether with weights, stretches or whatever? Also what are the best foods to eat to help build muscle? I play golf a couple of times a week and pilates once both of which are fairly moderate exercise.

Yeah...you don't want to start our with this kind of post. You will get slammed on these boards. I am going to be succinct to try and spare you getting piled on. 1. You should not hate the gym because YOU don't make the time to go...that is like hating your stove because YOU don't take the time to cook. 2. You are never going to look like a weight lifter (I am going to assume you mean body builder). Just won't happen with that estrogen and all.

To summarize everything you are going to hear from now on...stay committed (to whatever you do), eat well (within macros/micros), lift heavy (you won't get "bulky"), and research more.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Yeah...you don't want to start our with this kind of post. You will get slammed on these boards. I am going to be succinct to try and spare you getting piled on. 1. You should not hate the gym because YOU don't make the time to go...that is like hating your stove because YOU don't take the time to cook. 2. You are never going to look like a weight lifter (I am going to assume you mean body builder). Just won't happen with that estrogen and all.

To summarize everything you are going to hear from now on...stay committed (to whatever you do), eat well (within macros/micros), lift heavy (you won't get "bulky"), and research more.

^^^ thank you for saving everyone else a lot of typing :laugh:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

2lify86.jpg
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OP...I never actually saw your answer to one of the earlier questions: Do you have any other gyms near you?

There are def ones that are less pushy. I go to the Y and love it. Good ppl, family oriented, lots of classes, not too many muscle heads and not pushy. I have also heard that PF is not too pushy (however, we will josh you a bit :wink: )

I have heard LA Fitness can also be a bit aggressive with sales tactics, but they do provide a solid product for the money. All depends on what you are looking for.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even go back, but that's just me being suspicious. :laugh:

If it was advertised that it opened in April but when you went you were treated to a sales pitch and they said they won't open until August...eh...possibly a misprint error but it also sounds like a cheap way to solicit sales to a captive audience who shows up ready to work out.

I'd have my doubts, personally.

ETA: if they were that pushy to get you to sign something when they hadn't even opened yet, I'd DEFINITELY run the other way. Something doesn't sound right about that at all.

I agree. I've been misled into similar situations and once I was actually a member, I hated that gym, wasted my money, and it was a mess trying to get out of my membership, and I was willing to pay the cancellation fee just to leave, but they kept making me jump through hoops and talk to different people to cancel my membership and each time I had to listen to another sales pitch.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even go back, but that's just me being suspicious. :laugh:

If it was advertised that it opened in April but when you went you were treated to a sales pitch and they said they won't open until August...eh...possibly a misprint error but it also sounds like a cheap way to solicit sales to a captive audience who shows up ready to work out.

I'd have my doubts, personally.

so it is their bad for trying to drum up sales for their business…really???? LOL …

why not just join in august…? Regardless of the sales pitch ..if it seems like a good gym and is the only option why not join in August?
    Lol, it almost sounds like you were one of the sales people from that gym. She didnt like your pitch - let it go already....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're right, Saschka. They told me on the phone that it the facilities were open and had opened in April.

NDJ - what I meant is that it's embarrassing to go in August since I said I'll be back with my credit card tomorrow - but I won't be. With that said I do exercise a lot at home every day.

they don't care. They only want your money and want you to show up.

If you show up tomorrow or in three months- they don't care.

they may keep calling you- but ultimately don't pay them till you can use the facility.

I would call them out and tell them- I'm happy to potentially patron your gym but please don't waste my time till you have a usable facility.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

the women who lift weights on this site look pretty damn hot.... I don't know why anyone wouldn't like to look like them.

:flowerforyou:

Weightlifter and proud!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Soooo you won't workout today because one gym near you doesn't open until august ?
    That must be the greatest escuse ever!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wait... this is the catlady AGAIN??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know I'd be pretty pissed if a gym offered me a free trial membership only to find out they weren't even open yet.

Whatever you do, don't sign up for anything until they are up and running.

Not even open yet, and they want your money *now*. It honestly sounds like a scam.