Exercise before food?

Options
Cladf
Cladf Posts: 60 Member
I've never been a big breakfast eater, just don't feel that hungry in the morning. I've started in the last 2 months going to the gym and I'm loving it - doing some cardio and getting into some weight training. My main aims are weight loss so I'm not supplementing with protein or anything like that.

I was just wondering whether working out before I eat for the day is okay to do, or whether I should be eating something beforehand whether I'm hungry or not? When I do workout without food I feel fine and I'm seeing good improvements in my progress so far, but just don't want to be doing something which might be counter-productive.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Do what works best for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As long as your performance is unaffected it doesn't matter if you eat before or not.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast and I always workout before I eat lunch (thought I've been known to eat a candy bar or yogurt while I work out, dpending on how late in the afternoon it is.) and as far as I know I'm doing fine
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is really pretty much personal preference. That said, the more vigorous and intense your workouts become, the more important nutrient timing and quality become to performance and then recovery and reparation. For some of my workouts I eat before, during, and after because it is important to that particular workout...i.e. a 50 mile ride on my bike.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big breakfast eater, just don't feel that hungry in the morning. I've started in the last 2 months going to the gym and I'm loving it - doing some cardio and getting into some weight training. My main aims are weight loss so I'm not supplementing with protein or anything like that.

I was just wondering whether working out before I eat for the day is okay to do, or whether I should be eating something beforehand whether I'm hungry or not? When I do workout without food I feel fine and I'm seeing good improvements in my progress so far, but just don't want to be doing something which might be counter-productive.

Thanks! :)

You will be fine.
    Do it and enjoy.

I do intermittent fasting myself (LeanGains protocol)
    So I eat between 1pm to 8pm
    And I do my workouts around 1130am, so I am in a fasted state, empty stomach.

Workouts have been great, I feel more focused and energized.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i work out first thing in the morning before breakfast, works out fine for me.
  • Cladf
    Cladf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, good to know that it's fine to keep going as I am :) didn't fancy having to force myself into munching a breakfast in the morning!
  • TinaLauritsen
    TinaLauritsen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do this too, and there has been studies made that show you burn more fat if you exercise before you first meal, just remember to drink a lot of water :smile:
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If anything eating in the morning (before your workout) will rev up your metabolism! And don't be afraid of adding protein in your meals, especially breakfast. If you want something quick, yummy, and super healthy, make yourself a protein shake before you leave the house :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If anything eating in the morning (before your workout) will rev up your metabolism! And don't be afraid of adding protein in your meals, especially breakfast. If you want something quick, yummy, and super healthy, make yourself a protein shake before you leave the house :)

Because people are cars.