"You never ask me to join you when you go to the gym."

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Training partners are a bad idea unless they're a lot better than you, in which case you'd better learn to keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and your schedule subordinate to theirs.

I agree with this statement.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Meh, even when I did go to the gym a few times with a friend or my ex, we did our own thing anyway. But if you're there to drag me down, forget it.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I too prefer the lone workout... About the only thing I do with someone would be a bike ride. We're all basically the same tempo, but none feels pressure to keep up or fall back... together but still in my own zone.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym is not a date or a social function...it is work...I am getting work done. People are more than welcome to join me if they want, but it's not friggin' happy hour up in this *****...it's time to kick some *kitten* and take some names.

I generally don't have people asking me why I never ask them to join me in the gym.

:laugh: Same. I tried working out with one of my friends before... Switched my lifting time from before work to after (I hate the gym after work. Apparently it's social hour). She stood around and talked to everyone at the gym instead of doing sets. Drove me insane......so that's never going to happen again.

I've been going to the same gym for 3 years before work and I don't know anyone's name that also goes every morning. I'm friendly enough to wave and smile when I walk past them, but other than that, I don't usually interact with the other animals.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I can go either way. I am perfectly happy to lift by myself or with someone else. Having a built in spotter can come in handy.

Yeah, about how I feel.
  • parigoris
    parigoris Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree 110%! I made the mistake of hooking up with a friend once to start going to the gym together to motivate each other.. I quickly found out that the gym is my place to concentrate on me- no phone, no computer. She would leave the door to the sauna open, chat incessantly, etc.
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask me about working out but then I told them that I'm up at 5 and at the gym by 5:30 when they opened and got the "but that's so eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrlllllly." Um, ok, guess I won't see you there. The schedule I keep alone seems to be the biggest deterrent.

I like my early hours, my quiet time, and my equipments tucked away from the more frequented area so I don't have those huge fans blowing on me.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I would love a training partner, and yes I do take it seriously. Having someone spot you (especially with squats I find) is valuable. Shame I don't have anyone and didn't have anyone help me on Monday when I dropped my barbell on my shoulder.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love being with people. It's why I'm such a *kitten* for all the group exercise classes. I'm the weird friendly girl grinning at all the strangers. I love it. And I love sitting in the lounge with people after a class with our faces all bright red and complaining about how hard it was. Shared experiences. My favorite.

But I can't run with anyone. First, I feel like I'm slower than anyone I know - and having to go slower would make me mad, so I figure that's how they feel. Also running just makes me angry. I do not enjoy it. I guess I'd rather suffer alone, which is too bad - because I've actually had people say "hey we could run together" and noooobody wants to go to the gym. lol
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    "You've really slimmed down...a LOT..." (In a disapproving tone.) - Yes, I've lost 25+ pounds since last summer. Yes, it's noticeable (that's kinda the point). Yes, I'm healthier, stronger, faster, and overall in better shape in every way that I was before I lost that weight. NO, I do not need to "put on more weight" just because you are fat/unhealthy/overweight.

"You're sure eating healthy today, you're putting us all to shame!" - I heard this yesterday and have heard it often when having lunches with clients/vendors. Sure, sometimes I will go Kobayashi on pizza, a burger, or some other less-than-healthy food at lunch. But I have balance, which means I try to fit it into my calories/macros by eating some things that won't kill me before age 50, too. Oh, and this blackened salmon ceasar salad I'm eating? Yeah, it tastes just as good as your fried chicken sandwich, buddy.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I too prefer to workout alone. If I'm walking the dogs, I like it when my husband joins me, except when he doesn't want to wog with me because he just had leg day :grumble: . When I am on the elliptical, I want to be absolutely alone, music blasting, playing on pinterest during the recovery/cool down periods.

Other phrases I dread hearing,

---"Do you want to split [insert menu item here]?" No, I want control over my plate and my food and to be able to look out the item online and have some idea that I ate half of it or whatever. I've always hated sharing food; it's worse now that I log.

---"You shouldn't count calories. It will give you an eating disorder." NO. Stahp.

---"Can you eat this? I bet you can't eat this." I need a good comeback for this.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    This makes me laugh. I live right next door to my best friend and her family (I rent from them.) Sometimes, if she is outside, she will see me ready to go walk/run and ask if her and her son (in a stroller) can come with me. In my head, I say "NOOOOOOO!!" but my mouth says "sure!" Normally she will walk one lap down our street and be done. Then, I get to do my normal routine.

I dreaaaad people asking me to work out with them. Mostly, because I am still bigger and they think they can offer me advice because they are smaller-- but its normally crazy crash diet/ exercise advice.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I too prefer to workout alone. If I'm walking the dogs, I like it when my husband joins me, except when he doesn't want to wog with me because he just had leg day :grumble: . When I am on the elliptical, I want to be absolutely alone, music blasting, playing on pinterest during the recovery/cool down periods.

---"Do you want to split [insert menu item here]?" No, I want control over my plate and my food and to be able to look out the item online and have some idea that I ate half of it or whatever. I've always hated sharing food; it's worse now that I log.

---"You shouldn't count calories. It will give you an eating disorder." NO. Stahp.

---"Can you eat this? I bet you can't eat this." I need a good comeback for this.

Response:

Four fingers down, one high.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Worst phrase, "It's (insert special occasion here). Go ahead and eat/drink what you want!"...uuuummm, I am aware of the occasion, and I am a grown *kitten* man, so of course I will, duh :laugh:

As for the gym, I sometimes go with a friend, but usually it is more of a, "oh, you are going to be there tonight? Cool, see you there." At that point, we see each other, give the up nod, and do our own thing (not counting the cardio portion). I do not mind randomly doing a couple of sets together, but sometimes I switch up what I am doing mid-routine, and I am not trying to be on someone else's schedule.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love being with people. It's why I'm such a *kitten* for all the group exercise classes. I'm the weird friendly girl grinning at all the strangers. I love it. And I love sitting in the lounge with people after a class with our faces all bright red and complaining about how hard it was. Shared experiences. My favorite.

But I can't run with anyone. First, I feel like I'm slower than anyone I know - and having to go slower would make me mad, so I figure that's how they feel. Also running just makes me angry. I do not enjoy it. I guess I'd rather suffer alone, which is too bad - because I've actually had people say "hey we could run together" and noooobody wants to go to the gym. lol

^^This, especially the running part! Not always the friendly girl @ group classes but I love the camaraderie! I'm a super slooowww "runner" so I hate to slow others down and try to shy away from having anyone join me. I have run several 5Ks with friends and always tell them that they don't have to stay back with me. Some listen and go at their own pace while others don't seem to mind hanging back with me. IDK, even though they purposely stay back with me, I feel guilty. :embarassed:
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Comeback...eat it, with a beer, and then call them the next morning to come run with you :laugh:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I can be incredibly competitive. Someone telling me to "relax" is BS. I am relaxed, I just want to beat you at everything in life. :mad:

Haha! I resemble this remark!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone but I sure would like to have a gym buddy who's stronger than me! :happy:
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options

You're absolultey right! My parents taught me how to chew all foods, except for that! Damn....
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym with someone I let them know when we are there I will be doing my own thing and for them not to bother/distract me and for them to do their own thing too. Usually works out fine. & after the machines we go swimming together and can socialize/relax.