weight gain after heavy lifting

Options
Hello

I wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on why every time I lift heavy weights, I gain 4-6 pounds on the scale the next morning? I clothes aren't tighter. Usually it returns back to about what it should be in a couple days. I'm just trying to make sense of it. Anyone else experience this? Weight can't come from nowhere.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Water retention for muscle repair. It's temporary and goes away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

dis..

I never weigh myself after a lifting day...ever.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

dis..

Well I probably won't ever again either.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree; it's water retention basically. Lifting breaks the muscles, substrates are released from damaged tissues and water is the vehicle to carry all those good healing proteins to the damaged site. Losing weight thru diet and toning up by lifting have different short term goals. Lifting will cause you to maintain or gain weight but the inches will changes; less from the areas of fat and more at the target muscles. Personally, I wanted to lose 50 lbs before strength training so I concentrated on diet and cardio to get my HR into the fat burn zone. I did some strength with the large muscle groups but not lifting or strenuous, intense strength training. Now that I'm under 20 lbs of my goal (which is 15% body fat), I've added more strength and the weight loss is at a crawl, compared to what I had been losing. Best to decide what your goal is, then follow that path to avoid discouragement.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

dis..

Well I probably won't ever again either.

yah I bet..

For me I lift M/W/F so I typically weigh myself Friday morning...or Monday morning (as long as I behaved myself on the weekend):laugh: